Working on my Pacing

Options
So I'm still working on this half marathon training 'stuff'. I find it interesting that the short runs on my plan are now six milers - longer than I had ever run even three months ago!

First, let me say that I'm NOT A FAST RUNNER! Considering that nine months ago I was pacing at almost 20 minute miles, I'm very proud of where I'm at right now.

Last night I was running along and doing pretty ok - my quads were burning, but that's pretty normal for me lately. I train with a 3/1 interval. I run for 3 minutes, and then walk for 1. I've found this very beneficial in covering the longer distances. My Runkeeper app calls out my pace every half mile. I started the run pacing 13:09, and finished pacing at 13:30. Over six miles, that's a pretty big change.

Since Runkeeper tracks each minute, I was able to see what my intervals looked like over the course of the run. I found something intersting. My RUNNING intervals didn't drop off much at all - for the most part stayed around 12 minutes per mile. My WALKING intervals dropped off significantly - from about 16 minutes to 20 minutes per mile. it looks like this is enough of a change to really mess with my pacing - yet it is weird. I mean, my running even picked up for some intervals....

Race is officially one month away!

Thoughts?

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    The first time I trained for a half I didn't focus much on speed but adding distance and just being able to complete this distance. This second time I incorporated speed training into my training plan and it helped a lot BUT over the course of the year when I was not training I did more speed workouts than long distance.
    Tempo runs and speed intervals/fartleks are great for increasing speed.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    [qoute]The first time I trained for a half I didn't focus much on speed but adding distance and just being able to complete this distance. This second time I incorporated speed training into my training plan and it helped a lot BUT over the course of the year when I was not training I did more speed workouts than long distance.
    Tempo runs and speed intervals/fartleks are great for increasing speed. [/quote]

agree. my first half marathon i worked up the miles and wanted to finish. I now know that I can run it so i'm working on speed and pacing.

:)