doctors scale with shoes and clothes on

Options
every time i go, i wear my shoes and clothes and they keep telling me "lose afew pounds so you arent obese" but with my shoes and clothes on, im 3 lbs heavier and it puts me in the obese range and im not in the morning with just a shirt on lol

does this happen to everyone?

its so annoying

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I'm the opposite!

The scales at the doctors, gym, and any others i go on all say im 5-6 lbs LIGHTER than my own daily scales say, even when im fully dressed! :D
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I understand you're frustrated. Obese is just a term and they hopefully have your best interest at heart. As you continue to lose the weight (assuming that's your goal) then eventually you will go to the doctors and BE that 'few pounds less' and you can tell them - See? I did it!
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm with you; I record my "absolute" weight on MFP but then just have to accept that I'll be 3-4 lbs. heavier at the doctor's office... I feel gypped, though. What was 10 lbs. down since my last visit is now just 7lbs.

But I think I'm even more annoyed when my doctor said, "Oh, so the medication is working/helping."

Of course, my hard work and dieting had NOTHING to do with it...

Pfft.
  • melelana
    melelana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. And where my doctor's office is, the nurses rush a lot, so I get a lot of uneven weight recordings... they tell me my weight "fluctuates too much..." which it does, but the carelessness in which I'm weighed isn't helping. lol.

Try wearing lighter clothes so the difference isn't too big. I find when I'm just wearing yoga pants, flats, and a light tee shirt, the difference is a pound, even less.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My annual doctor's appointment is in the winter and they had me step on the scale in my sweater and boots. I was pissed off because I knew it wasn't taking an accurate reading. Plus the nurse was so quick, she didn't even let it stop swaying back and forth.

As long as you know what your real weight is and you keep making progress towards your goal, that's what matters.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I'm the opposite!

The scales at the doctors, gym, and any others i go on all say im 5-6 lbs LIGHTER than my own daily scales say, even when im fully dressed! :D

I visited my doctor a couple of weeks ago and his scales said I was 15 pounds lighter than my scale at home (I was fully clothed and wearing shoes, which I obviously am not at home when I take my weight.) I figure his scale is off (unfortunately) because I bought a new scale after that visit and both of my scales are within a couple of ounces of one another.
  • cmthgrimes
    cmthgrimes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hate it too! I can at least take my shoes off. But I go even more extreme - take off my jewelry, watch, and wear lightweght clothes.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    The one that hurt the most was when I had a doctor's appointment the DAY AFTER I hit ONEDERLAND and was FINALLY 199!!

Of course, on their scale I was 202~ it just KILLED me to see that '2' again!!!
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    My OB's scale adds a few lbs, but my GP's shows me 5 lbs lighter. Remember they are comparing your weight to what you weighed on THEIR scale last time so your loss should match what you are measuring even though the ending weight doesn't match.

Rosied915 - I have to say I would have flipped out about the whole onederland thing though!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My doc weighed me while I was fully dressed AND wearing steel toed work boots! :mad:
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yep... when I went last month my home scale said 220 and their scale said 222. This was in the middle of the day with shoes and clothes on obviously, and after I had eaten lunch. I wanted to tell her I was really 220 and I work my *kitten* off for each pound lost! :smile:
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    That happened to me just last night! The Dr. scale said I was 3 lbs heavier then mine at home but it was actually ok because my loss from my last visit was the same as home. I believe the 3 lbs was shoes and clothes.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    OK, here's a weird one... one of the nurses at the Dr.'s office actually takes off 4 lbs. when she weighs me with everything on, the other doesn't. (Naturally I always hope for the first nurse!).
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I hate it too! I can at least take my shoes off. But I go even more extreme - take off my jewelry, watch, and wear lightweght clothes.

Ha! I take my shoes off too and be sure to always wear the same pants and the lightest shirt I hae in my closet!!