Need help with how to meet calorie goal diabetic????

Options
Doc put me on a very strict diet yesterday for high blood sugar. She said all she wanted on my plate was meat and vegetables. How can I meet my net calories this way and should I even pay attention to the calories at this point? I just hink I will have a hard time eating enough calories this way. Any suggestions on food would be great.

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed dairy too? Eggs milk and cheese would give you more options, at least.

When she says vegetables, does this include potatoes, or sweet potatoes. or squashes?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Can you do nuts as well? They are high in calories but very good for you.
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,946 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I have a Fit Pal who is struggling with eating enough calories while keeping sugar down so I am interested in people's answers.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    I'm not a doctor by any means, but a good high calorie source of protein that I've read can be helpful for diabetics is nuts. Can you have nuts? There's a chart that shows the number of calories in one ounce of nuts on this page: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/Carbs-Fats-And-Calories-In-Nuts-And-Seeds.htm

Six smaller meals per day instead of three larger ones may also help you up your calories. But it would be helpful to know all the things you ARE allowed to have to help come up with more ideas...
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My honey is a diabetic and you'll be surprised how quickly the calories add up with just meat and vegetables. Don't worry about it right now just get your sugar under control.
  • papa5280
    Options
    Honestly, this is something I think you need to ask your doc about. Maybe she is looking for you to radically restrict calories...maybe not. Could you call her office to get clarification?
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just want to add it sucks that you've lost so much weight and still have problem with your sugar :frown:

Keep up the good work and keep your head up :flowerforyou:
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    Hi,
    Did your doc refer you to a nutritionist/dietitian? I got a lot of help from an RD when I had gestational diabetes. I had to eat a lot of calories because of the baby and keep carbs down! Any lean protein is a good choice. Good amount of calories, no carbs. You should eat your allotted carbs though so you don't go into ketosis. Whole grains are good, and if you can find foods that have 5 grams of fiber or more per serving, those are the best. (Fiber One has a cereal that has over half your daily fiber needs in it - tastes like sticks but keeps you moving, if you know what I mean). Did your doc give you a list of exchanges (ie what amount of food counts as as serving and how many carbs it has). This is important because some veggies have more carbs than others. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Good luck. Your head will spin for a while but you'll settle into a routine. Stick to counting calories as weight loss should ease your condition.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just some ideas

Breakfast: Sausage links, sausage patties, veggie patties, bacon, turkey bacon
    Lunch: Salad with bacon and veggies, turkey rollups, any and all veggies, leftover meat
    Dinner: I am a huge fan of spinach and feta chicken sausage, but there are so many things you can do for dinner
    Snacks: raw veggies, deli rollups

I think once you get started you'll realize how easy it is to meet your calorie goal and your dietary restrictions. Good luck!
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and my dietitian and doctor said it was not good to completely limit carbs. I've seen several doctors and nutritionists and dietitians since I became diabetic and all of them have instructed me that my meals should look something like the picture I'll link below. Without carbs if you are on meds then your sugar runs the risk of going too low too fast and that can be as dangerous as high sugar. Honestly, I'd get a second opinion, but I dont know your medical history or why a doc would suggest you eat like that.

http://www.pittsburghurbanmedia.com/clientfiles/image/P101_diabetes_plate[1].jpg

Ive always been told 45g of carbs per meal, and 15g snack twice a day to keep sugar even. I dunno. Id definitely talk to the doc.
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    I eat as little carbs as possible in my diet as well and it has made a huge difference. Trying to find a good balance between carbs and protien is key. I have a basic menu that I was given by a metobolic center it does have some carbs allowed in the diet but they are low and limited as well. (their are also other gaming meat for option B; like deer and squirl and things in that nature but I had lost the list and this is what I had copied from it for grocery shopping but didn't transfer the other because I don't eat those.) Hope this helps and good luck. I actually never end up eating any of the fruit and startches but I know if I do I can stay close to my calorie intake. There just frozed or harder to prepare and I like quick and easy and keep forgetting to take them out of the freezer and such. lol. I've got insuling resistance so my body make to much insulin so I also add in protein drinks theirs some great ones you can use, I like a k20 water protien mix from special k low in calories or some of those others with a lighter meal. I'm always over on protein but it seems to be what my body needs to keep burning the fat.

Basic meal plan
    If you are over 200 pounds you get 6 ounces of Meat/ Protein and 4 ounces if under. Remember meat cooks down so the amount is after cooking. Hard cheese can only be a choice once a day. Option B Meat can be chosen only 2-3 times a week. Each serving of vegetables is 8 ounces of raw vegetables or 4 ounces of cooked vegetables.
    1.Breakfast: Meat/ Protein, Bread/ Starch.
    2.Lunch: Meat/ Protein, Vegetable, Fruit.
    3.Dinner: Meat/ Protein, Vegetable, Bread/ Starch.

Meats/ Protein (White Meat) 2oz. Hard Cheese 1 Egg and 1oz. Cheese 2 Md. Eggs 4oz Cottage Cheese Chicken Halibut Tuna Turkey

Option B (Pink Meat) Crab Lobster Shrimp Scallops Salmon

Bread/ Starch 40 cal. Wheat bread Melba toast ¼ C Oatmeal ¼ C Beans

Black, Garbanzo, Pinto, Kidney/ Navy Black eyed peas ½ corn/ flour tortilla 40cal.

Fruits

Sm. Apple Sm. Apricots ½ C Berries Blackberries, Blueberries, Boysenberries, Cranberries, Raspberries, Strawberries 1 C Cantaloupe Md. Peach 1C Pineapple Sm. Grapefruit 1C Honeydew Sm. Orange Md. Tangerine 1C Watermelon

Vegetables Asparagus Bamboo Shoots Bean Sprouts Broccoli Brussels Sprouts Cabbage Cauliflower Celery Collard Greens Cucumber Eggplant Green Beans Green Peppers Lettuce Mushrooms Okra Tomato Snow Peas Spinach Zucchini Summer/ Spaghetti Squash Radishes
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and my dietitian and doctor said it was not good to completely limit carbs. I've seen several doctors and nutritionists and dietitians since I became diabetic and all of them have instructed me that my meals should look something like the picture I'll link below. Without carbs if you are on meds then your sugar runs the risk of going too low too fast and that can be as dangerous as high sugar. Honestly, I'd get a second opinion, but I dont know your medical history or why a doc would suggest you eat like that.

http://www.pittsburghurbanmedia.com/clientfiles/image/P101_diabetes_plate[1].jpg

I agree with this and about getting a few more professional opinions (if that makes you more comfortable with going against your doctor). Sadly, there are still a lot of doctors out there giving nutrition advice when they know little about nutrition.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Are you type 1 or type 2?

With your blood sugars out of control, THIS is your ONLY thing to track. Until your sugars are in line, you will not be able to do anything that will lead to success. My late bride passed away for not taking care of herself as a type 1... Please heed this. Once your sugars are in line, and it only takes 2 days, then you can focus on tweaking your meals.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm hyperinsulinemic, not diabetic, but either way it's about being very, very careful with your blood sugar & insulin levels. So the diet should be very similar...

I have no problem getting enough calories. Did your doctor give you a goal for maximum carbs and/or minimum protein? Mine told me no more than 25g carbs per day, and at least 300g protein per day. That's what I use my MFP log for, to keep track of those, not calories.

Good low-carb, high-protein veggies are spinach, kale and other leafy greens. Also mushrooms, brussels sprouts, green peppers & asparagus.
    Avoid high-sugar, high-starch veggies like carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes. Also avoid veggies that are really fruits (tomatoes) and veggies that are really grains (corn).

Are you allowed dairy? You can always add different types of cheese to give your veggies or meat a little extra flavor and/or creaminess.

I love flavored protein powders, I can use them to satisfy any cravings for sweets, you just mix a scoop with water. Or even mix it with a cup of plain Greek yogurt, if what you crave is ice cream.

I eat a lot of hard-boiled eggs and cheese wedges when I want a quick snack.

Eating throughout the day, spreading it out a lot, helps me too. I eat some protein and/or drink a protein drink every three hours whether I'm hungry or not. That ensures that I can get all of my protein in, without having to stuff myself at any one sitting. It also ensures that I never get so hungry that I'll just grab whatever's handy & forget to make good food choices.

I love my George Foreman grill, 'cause I live alone and I'm lazy, and it's really easy to use and to clean up. Chicken breasts, pork chops, steak, fish filets, shrimp kabobs, whatever: I throw it on there with some spices, maybe with some sliced veggies too, and 10 minutes later I'm eating dinner. Spices are key, too: you can have a grilled chicken breast every night for weeks & never get bored, as long as you use a different combination of spices each time.

Do a search in the recipe topics for "paleo" and "primal," and you'll find lots of good suggestions!

Good luck to you!
  • mary92011
    mary92011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Get a list of low glycemic food lists of vegetables, fruits, salads, grains, breads crackers, cakes and pastry, peanut butter best nonplant proteins, and plant proteins etc. You can get this list from www.lifetimefatlooss.com. Print this list. Keep it handy.
    Choose high fiber and low glycemic fruits and vegetables along with good protein.
    Glycemic Index tells you how quicklly do foods raiseyour blood sugars. That is the reason you choose low glycemic foods.
    Choose good, high fiber vegetables, salads along with the good protein in your meals. You can eat good and keep your calorie requirements, by choosing your food from the low glycemic food list. My professional field is nutrition and worked in a nutrition center. You will be able to meet your meal plans and succeed.
    There is also a book recommended by Prevention Magazene called "the Diabetes detour diet" by Barbara Quinn, MS, RD, CDE
    Mary92011
  • AdAstra47
    Options
    You should eat your allotted carbs though so you don't go into ketosis.
    This may have been true for gestational diabetes, I know nothing about that. But for a non-pregnant person, there's absolutely nothing wrong with ketosis. I've been in ketosis for over 6 months now, and I know people who've eaten like this for over a decade and it has effectively cured their diabetes. The fewer carbs you can eat, the better off you'll be.
    Whole grains are good, and if you can find foods that have 5 grams of fiber or more per serving, those are the best. (Fiber One has a cereal that has over half your daily fiber needs in it ...
    Again, this may have been true for gestational, but not for a regular Type II diabetic. Whole grains are still grains, and you should avoid ALL grains. No rice, oats, wheat, cereal, corn, etc. Only eat carbs right before a workout or other high-energy-burning activity.

Here is more info on the subject of low-carb diets and Type II diabetes:
    http://www.diabetesnewsstand.com/vissue/vernon/titlepage.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Keto is something you should talk to your doctor about first if you're diabetic. It's not well suited for most diabetics, though it might be possible to reduce meds if you're in it. Definitely talk to your doctor though.

And I agree that keto is a good thing, I'm in it myself, but only people without major outstanding issues can hop right on it.
  • AdAstra47
    Options

Ive always been told 45g of carbs per meal, and 15g snack twice a day to keep sugar even. I dunno. Id definitely talk to the doc.

No offense to you or your doctor, but if you're a Type II diabetic, this is ABSOLUTELY WRONG. The goal should be to use diet and exercise to cure the disease, not to go on a bunch of medicine and then adjust your diet so the meds will work properly! If your body doesn't create or process insulin correctly, then your goal should be to stop burning the sugar & carbs that require insulin. Start getting your energy by burning fat & protein instead. If you do that, you won't need any injections of insulin or any drugs to control it. If your body doesn't detect sugar & carbs in your system, then it won't need or release any insulin: problem solved.

Doctors & the medical profession have been unduly influenced, many without realizing it, by pharmaceutical companies. Those companies would much rather see you spend the rest of your life dependent on their medicines than see you get cured. You can usually cure high cholesterol with diet and exercise, too, but how many doctors just automatically prescribe Lipitor instead of even discussing non-drug possibilities with their patients? Partly, it's because of the patients: they don't want to work, they want a magic pill that fixes everything, so that's what the doctors try to give them. But partly it's physicians who are becoming increasingly ignorant of non-drug-related treatment options.

Of course, when I say "cured," I don't mean that diabetes wll ever magically go away. I just mean that as long as you eat this low-carb, high-protein diet, you can live a perfectly normal, healthy and DRUG-FREE life. My doctor has patients who have been on this type of diet for decades & have never had any problems with it.

Here are more links with info on low-carb diets and Type II diabetes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3M75cYpx2w
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options

No offense to you or your doctor, but if you're a Type II diabetic, this is ABSOLUTELY WRONG. The goal should be to use diet and exercise to cure the disease, not to go on a bunch of medicine and then adjust your diet so the meds will work properly! If your body doesn't create or process insulin correctly, then your goal should be to stop burning the sugar & carbs that require insulin. Start getting your energy by burning fat & protein instead. If you do that, you won't need any injections of insulin or any drugs to control it. If your body doesn't detect sugar & carbs in your system, then it won't need or release any insulin: problem solved.

Doctors & the medical profession have been unduly influenced, many without realizing it, by pharmaceutical companies. Those companies would much rather see you spend the rest of your life dependent on their medicines than see you get cured. You can usually cure high cholesterol with diet and exercise, too, but how many doctors just automatically prescribe Lipitor instead of even discussing non-drug possibilities with their patients? Partly, it's because of the patients: they don't want to work, they want a magic pill that fixes everything, so that's what the doctors try to give them. But partly it's physicians who are becoming increasingly ignorant of non-drug-related treatment options.

Of course, when I say "cured," I don't mean that diabetes wll ever magically go away. I just mean that as long as you eat this low-carb, high-protein diet, you can live a perfectly normal, healthy and DRUG-FREE life. My doctor has patients who have been on this type of diet for decades & have never had any problems with it.

Here are more links with info on low-carb diets and Type II diabetes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3M75cYpx2w

We will unfortunately just have to agree to disagree here. Diet and exercise was the FIRST thing we tried to control my diabetes, then when that didn't work well enough I was put on meds, and then I was taken off my meds and no longer have to take them now that my diet and exercise has caught up and is able to regulate my sugar. I do eat carbs as instructed by my dietitian, and it works out perfectly for me. Let us also remember that not all carbs are created equally, and there are different types. There are very few absolutes in anything pertaining to health since we are all usually very different in the way our bodies react to things. And I still stand by my suggestion that she see a dietitian or get a second opinion from a physician.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Doc put me on a very strict diet yesterday for high blood sugar. She said all she wanted on my plate was meat and vegetables. How can I meet my net calories this way and should I even pay attention to the calories at this point? I just hink I will have a hard time eating enough calories this way. Any suggestions on food would be great.

go full paleo.
    get your calories from meat, fish, nuts, fats, veggies, coconut and olive oils.

Stay away from all grain, all beans, all milk, all processed foods. Easy. Now do it.

marksdailyapple has a good blog to start at.