side effects of multivitamins?

Options
So I started taking a multivitamin this week, but I am noticing that my stomache is upset after I take it. I am taking it with food so it is not the issue (recommended to take with food on the bottle). I am not sure if it is because it is a solid pill or if I just need to "get use" to it....

What is your experience or insight?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The only Suppliment I've ever had any problem with is Salmon Oil Capsules - if I burp after taking one I get this explosion of "SALMON" taste/smell :laugh:
  • taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    What time of day do you take it? my stomach doesn't tolerate a whole lot in the morning so I take vitamins at night.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I've found that I need to eat and then take my multi-vitamin.

If I take the pill, and then eat, even immediately after, I get nauseous.

If I eat, and then take the pill... I'm fine. It's like it needs that cushion of food to land on. :smile:

HTH.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I always get a horrific stomacheache after a multivitamin. Im going out today to get a gummy kind to see if that helps.
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    i take mine at night also.. been doing that since i had my son almost 17 years ago..
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue back when I first started taking prenatal vitamins. Right on the bottle it said you could experience stomach upset until you became used to it.

If I haven't taken them in a while, my stomach will feel icky for a few days until I get used to it again.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I get bad cramps from calcium supplements.
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    i can't control the gummy they tast like candy and i just want to eat them..lol
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    it depends what you're taking? In order to know what's making your stomach upset, we need to know what you're taking, sp if someone else is taking it, they can give you a better idea of what you're experiencing.
  • Erin7Baker
    Options
    I also have problems taking Fish Oil vitamins, I have to take it with 1/4 can of Dr. peper and then at least 8 oz of water. The more water the better.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I use to have the same problem, it is due to the 100% zinc. Switched to one that does not have zinc ( the gummy ones usually do not) or try taking it later in the day, like with dinner when you have a larger amount of food in your belly. I would have to eat a feast to not get an upset stomach.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Dark yellow or orange pee.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    All pill forms I have tried do that to me too. I now take 2 Flinstone Complete's every morning and don't have issues, even when I don't eat.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I had horrible times with multi-vitamins. The one that finally worked for me was a store brand prenatal - go figure!
  • msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue at first. My body eventually got use to it. I make sure to take with food and a full glass of water.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My daughter has this problem with solid multivitamins. She switcged to chewables (gummie) and has no problems when she takes them with food.
  • New_Hope
    Options
    I always feel horribly nauseous after taking my multivitamin, even with food. It usually lasts 10-20 mins and sucks. I think I'll start following some of these suggestions and take it at night. I didn't have this problem with gummy vitamins, though.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    So I started taking a multivitamin this week, but I am noticing that my stomache is upset after I take it. I am taking it with food so it is not the issue (recommended to take with food on the bottle). I am not sure if it is because it is a solid pill or if I just need to "get use" to it....

What is your experience or insight?

Thanks in advance!

I was always getting nauseous after taking mine... my doctor suggested taking it before bed so that I'd sleep through it.

Don't know if this works for most people or not... wouldn't want to keep you up at night. But it was a great solution for me!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Dark yellow or orange pee.
    Sounds like excess B vitamin being passed through or not being absorbed.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I had to give up the pill form - too hard on my stomach. Doctor suggested trying a liquid form, but I instead opted to just give them up.

The doctor thought the iron in the multi was probably the cause of my stomach upset.