Livestrong.com - Excellent article about Myths

Options
Livestrong.com has a very informative article that I just had to share. I was not sure where it should go because it has many different aspects. Enjoy all!

http://www.livestrong.com/blog/blog/5-surprising-health-myths/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=111004

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    1. A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition combined the results of 21 previous studies and found that a diet higher in saturated fat was not linked to a higher risk of heart disease or stroke. That’s not to say saturated fat can’t be dangerous, but it also goes to show that the overall sentiment of the last 30 years to limit red meat and dairy was both overblown and inaccurate. Studies aren’t everything. And one study in isolation isn’t necessarily reliable. But 21 studies is a pretty good analysis to assess the impact. And when you consider the numerous benefits of other research on people who follow high protein/fat diets, it becomes easier to rest assured that fat (and saturated fat, specifically) is not the enemy.

2. When you find a study that shows that late night eating—in a calorie controlled environment—makes you fat, please let me know. Here’s what you really need to know about your body: It does not work on a 24-hour cycle. If you eat 2,000 calories in the morning and eat the same 2,000 calories at night, your body will process it the same way. In fact, when Israeli researchers compared people who at their biggest meal at breakfast to those who at their biggest meal after 8 pm, they discovered that the late-night eaters lost more weight and more body fat. What’s more, a study conducted by the USDA found similar findings: That people who ate most of their calories after 7 pm had more muscle and less fat. That’s not to say that you have to eat late at night. It just proves that the timing of your meals isn’t as important as you might have thought.

3. The myth about multiple meals started in the early 90s. That’s when everyone began to move away from three square meals a day, and begin grazing on smaller snacks and meals. In theory, the concept was great, except for the part where an entire nation has become fatter over the last 20 years.

When you eat, your body burns calories. This is known as the thermic effect of food (TEF). Every type of food (protein, carbs, fats) has a different TEF, with protein being the most “metabolic” food you can eat. However, the frequency of meals does NOT influence your metabolism, as shown in this study. Again, the point is NOT to say that eating 5 or 6 meals a day is bad. In fact, there’s nothing wrong with it, and it’s a strategy I used for more than 10 years. But, personal preference is different than scientific fact. The best diet is the one that fits into your schedule and helps you stay consistent, whether it’s 3 meals, 6 meals, or 250 mini-bites spread throughout the day. And the only “flaw” with the grazing method is that the size of our snacks have increased more than 200 calories during the last 30 years. So if that’s your preference, just make sure to watch your serving size.

4. I could go on about this for days, but let me reiterate for the 985th time: Eggs are not bad for you, and the yolk will not skyrocket your cholesterol. There’s so much research that disproves the theory, that I could fill this entire article with links. In fact, not only has research shown no link between egg yolks causing cholesterol or heart problems, but researchers in Thailand found that eggs actually improve your HDL (the good cholesterol). When it comes to eggs, the only thing you really need to keep an eye on is the fat content and how it fits into your daily goals. (And yes, fat is fine. But too much of any nutrient is not good for you. So go egg crazy, but then cut back on the other sources of fat in your diet)

5. Did you know that sodium is an electrolyte? You know, the same good stuff that helps you hydrate when you’re sick or exhausted. We need salt in our diet to help maintain our natural blood pressure levels from dropping to low. Which is just another way of saying the war against salt has been overblown—and that’s probably an understatement. There's a lot of salt in most people's diet, but it's not causing much damage. The only people who really need to worry about how much sodium they consume are those with very high blood pressure, and even then, you can still improve your health without a sodium adjustment. (eating more potassium can help counter the effect). The bottom line is simple: In people with healthy blood pressure—even those who eat much more salt then recommended—there’s not need to make a dramatic change. In fact, some research even indicates that cutting out all sodium can lead you susceptible to other help problems.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/blog/blog/5-surprising-health-myths/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=111004#ixzz1ZpWJeYMt