Olive Garden

Options
So I am heading to Olive Garden tonight for my 1 year with my bf. I rarely ever eat out, and it is a special occasion so I kinda don't want to stress so much about eating the most heathly thing there. But I also don't want to mess up my diet! Even though I have been really good with it.

Bleh... conflicted....

And I am craving shellfish, wooo Seafood Portofino! I will most likely not eat the salad anyway.... so much sodium....

Thoughts?

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    The calories in the salad (assuming dressing) are what will get you, so it's a good idea to stay away from it. I had 2 servings and was shocked to find it was 700 cals for that. There several soups that are better, though probably still loaded with sodium.

I try to limit my breadstick consumption, stick with the soup instead of salad, and go for something that isn't too overly constructed or deep-fried.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Beside what MFP has in their food database, you can check if they have nutritional information online.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have already checked out the nutrional info. It will probably put me over my calorie limit by like 200 calories.

I think I might have this be a cheat day or something, so I can just enjoy myself and not worry about it.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't like to call it a cheat day - it sounds like you're doing something wrong. Why not call it your indulgence day? My only suggestion is don't go to the restaurant starving!
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Those breadsticks give a new meaning to the term "Kryptonite"
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    You are going there to spend time together not eat everything, IS it an all you can eat place? And remember later on there will be other celebrating, or should be at least and you dont want to be bloated, gasy, and feeling like crap. If you got a cute little number to wear you probably wouldnt eat much.
  • baileysmomma922
    Options
    try the cappelini di mare a much better choice i work at the olive garden and the food is great but so bad for you!
  • Shanz78
    Shanz78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just went to Olive Garden last week. befor i went i went on the Olive Garden web site they have all the nutritional values there.I checked all the calories and decided what i was gonna eat before i went. It helped a lot i didnt go over my calories that day and still had a nice time, good luck.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts guys!

I am not going to worry about it too much, if I go over more then I like then I shall just workout a bit more :smile:
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to Olive Garden I asked if we could have the salad dsg on the side and they brought each one of us some dsg so that everyone could have the dsg and I just drizzled a tiny amount on mine. just enjoy your night out.:drinker:
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm low-carbing it, and it's torture to goto Olive Garden because I love pasta. But what I found out is they will substitute veggies for pasta. I got the Steak Gorgonzola and had them put it over broccoli and zucchini instead of the fettuccine. It tasted great, still high fat, but alot lower in carbs. Don't be afraid to ask for modifications to a meal to help you meet your needs. And definitely educate yourself ahead of time on the menu, most places have all the nutrition info online now which is very helpful.

Oh and those evil bread sticks, we just ask that they don't bring them to the table at all.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    they have a nutritional guide...just ask when you get your menu..as far as the salad..ask for the dressing to be put on the side..oh and those lovely breadsticks..they are EVIL..
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the meal and don't worry about the calories. Get back on track tomorrow and keep moving forward.
  • Ricer11
    Ricer11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The only thing I will eat at Olive Garden is the herb salmon or the parmesan tilapia and plain salad. They will bring you a salad bowl without dressing if you ask for it.

That said, that meal is relatively low calorie and low sodium and still delicious.