Couscous

Options
I've heard about couscous a lot but I have never tried it. What does it taste like? How easy is it to cook? I've heard its versatile. What kinds of things can you make with it, or make it with? What kind of health benefits does it boast?

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It's the easiest thing in the world to cook, done in 5 min. Boil water in a kettle, put a 1/4 cup (1 serving) in a small dish/rubbermaid with a lid. Pour on the boiled water (1/4 cup) add the lid and let sit for about 5 minutes then fluff out onto a plate. A 1/4 cup dry increases to about 2/3 of a cup cooked, Zinda bagged couscous is one of the cheapest and has 0mg sodium.

It tastes like bland rice in my opinion so I mix it with sautéed vegetables and some black pepper, sometimes thyme or rosemary and top it with a grilled chicken breast for a <300 cal dinner.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    IT's really just itsy bitsy pasta (some people call it a grain but it's not-it's finely rolled pasta). SUPER easy and fast to make. You can put it in your soups or stews or just serve it as a side dish with anything you would eat with rice. Lots on recipes on the internet for it, but I just make mine with some veggie stock and finely diced onions, some parsley, and a little salt and pepper.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    BUMP I haven't tried this either.
  • rltolle
    rltolle Posts: 17
    Options
    I absolutely love couscous! My family also loves it. It is very easy and quick to make. Its a mix between a rice and a pasta, but smaller than rice. We eat it plain and with peas alot. My 6 year old loves it with butter spray on it. Try it, you will love it.
  • ElimyW
    ElimyW Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's super easy to cook & really quick (less than 5 mins) You pretty much just soak it in boiling water that is equal to the amount of cous cous you have put in and it's ready when all the water has been absorbed. You just then break it up with a fork and it's ready to go - hot or cold! For it's standard taste, just put a bit of salt into the water, but what's really great about it is that it soaks up whatever flavouring you put in the water! I've tried lemon & coriander (cilantro), curry powder, honey & chilli....pretty much whatever takes your fancy! You can get pre-flavoured varieties too, but I'm not so keen on them as they often have a lot of salt in - they do taste good though ;)

I usually use it as a substitute to rice or pasta, but it's really good in salads too.

Enjoy! :smile:
  • FitandPrettywithME
    FitandPrettywithME Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    l
  • kaybrose730
    kaybrose730 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I eat couscous with anything, i just always add avocado and tomatoe diced up in there. Can't get enough! :)