Barometric Headache Prevention

Options
I am very susceptible to barometric headaches, and am usually able to catch them in time to prevent them from becoming full-blown migraines, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice to prevent them in the first place? There isn't much information online about prevention.

My lovely doctor is supportive and has been helpful with advice on how to keep them from getting worse, but she doesn't have much to offer in terms of preventing them.

Has anyone had any success with changing their diet or using a more holistic approach?

Thank you.

Replies

• shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I bury my head in a bottle of wine until the weather stabilizes. Oh, and Aleve works wonders too!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I tried the "migraine diet" thing for awhile, but it didn't work. Now I get a massage when I feel them coming on.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I bury my head in a bottle of wine until the weather stabilizes. Oh, and Aleve works wonders too!

Yeah, Advil helps me. I just wish I didn't have to take it every single day at this time of year.
  • Contrarian
    Options
    I tried the "migraine diet" thing for awhile, but it didn't work. Now I get a massage when I feel them coming on.

That sounds like a lovely way to deal with it! Sadly, the weather has been quite changeable here lately, and I would be having to go for a massage daily. That would be nice, but it isn't currently in the budget. ;)
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i have a heat pad that i put on my head. i get horrible sinus headaches when the pressure drops, that morph into migraines if they don't go away with simple sudafed/advil/tylenol. it's called the "bed buddy" (i know kinda creepy) but you pop it in the microwave for ~min 30 and put it where it's starting. for me it's over my eyes (it cautions not to do that....but i've been doing it most of my life and my eyes are fine) or the top of my head. sometimes it's so soothing at night that i fall asleep with it on my head.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=10573050
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Adjustment and then straight to bed! Avoid aspartame!!! It triggers migraine in women.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    I lived with a myriad of migraine triggers for years, caused by a baseline migraine response to hormonal changes. Triggers did include barometric pressure changes. In my experience, if I drank a lot more water, preemptively, this could be helpful in these cases.

Good luck.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Oh, I understand. I also do something warm for my neck and shoulders.
  • Contrarian
    Options
    Thanks, all! I will try to up my water consumption and look into investing in a "bed buddy". (Heh)
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I will try to up my water consumption and look into investing in a "bed buddy". (Heh)

best 10$ ever :D good luck!