Gastric Bypass/ Gastric Band- i would like to hear from thos

Options
2»

Replies

• stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    When it's so simple to adjust the band, I don't understand why so many people don't get it done and suffer with an incorrectly set band?
    Unfortunately I think a lot of the people who end up having the band are not the type to be diligent about medical care & follow-up & that's a contributing factor to their morbid obesity. We've all avoided things at one time or another for illogical reasons that seemed like simple tasks to others, but we still avoided them. You'll also find that the people who aren't great about the band follow-up probably aren't great about following up on other things in their lives as well.
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I can really feel for your friend in this situation. But like many others have said 3 weeks out is simply too soon to expect results. I know at 3 weeks I was just beginning the mushy stage, if your friend is trying to eat anything solid or even resembling normal, I would have them check with their doctor, it may be why they are so sick.

I had the band done about a year ago, I've lost weight, but no where near to the point I would like. If I sit back and do nothing, the band keeps me from over eating to the point I gain weight, but without diet and exercise I won't lose a pound.

That was tough for me to deal with, I kind of thought of it as a magical device that would make me not eat ice cream, chocolate, and instead pick low fat salads for every meal. It's not. The band does nothing for me, but serve as a sickening reminder when I eat too fast, take too big of bites, or have grossly overeaten. Maybe I'm not a success story to encourage people to have the surgery, but I'm always willing to talk about my experience. Have your friend message me if they need support!
  • jenndannytyler
    Options
    My husband had the surgery in august of 2005 and has lost 126 pounds to date... encourage her to stick with it. She is still healing form a surgery and once things start healing she will start to lose weight. just make sure she does what the doctors tell her to do!!!
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My brother was 21 - healthy and died from this op.
    He picked it as his first option over hard work and dieting.

Only the success stories are alive to tell the tale.
    Is it really worth your life???????

I'm sorry to hear this but everyone is different. Everybody has to do what they feel is best for them. My friend felt this was the best thing for her. You don't know what people have or haven't tried so please don't judge.

Thanks to all those who gave usefully information.

mscoco, I am sorry if you felt this sounded like a judgement.

... I simply believe that it is important for people to know as many facts as possible before making a decision.
    This is one fact. And an important one, I think.
    Interestingly enough, also a fact that has not been mentioned by anyone else.

By the way, if you feel that the way I worded the question was a judgement, I am sorry ifl it came out like that. It was meant to be an honest question. My brother was asked this question. He considered it, and decided that he would rather take the risk. I believe it should be included as part of the decision-making process.
  • Babyblue4711
    Babyblue4711 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Yet one of my professors, had the surgery was thrilled about it and keeled over of a heart attack 30 days after surgery, because he waited to long to have it. So which do you choose the risk from the surgery, or the risk of not having it.... either way you are still DEAD... and at least by having it there is a change of a good ending. Not having it could mean living miserably the rest of your life. I have many people in my life that have had the surgery, and even my cousin who it almost killed would not change it if she could.
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    7 years post op from Rny Gastric Bypass here. I had complications in the beginning. There was some definite miserable moments, but you do feel normal again. Even though I still can't eat portions like I used to, I can pretty much eat whatever I want. The foods that make me sick suddenly dissapeared off my want list and rarely cross my mind anymore. I have been pretty successful with the surgery. I went from 320 to 145 at my lowest. I have fluctuated back and forth and struggle with 20-30 pounds that I would like to lose still to this day, but my life is not a daily challenge anymore like it used to be. I can now come to sites like this and feel like getting my eating back under control and incorporating excersize aren't a lost cause. I have no regrets and I know I could never have done it without it.

Thats awesome! I went from 330 to 163 back up to 169 now widdling my way back down!
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Yet one of my professors, had the surgery was thrilled about it and keeled over of a heart attack 30 days after surgery, because he waited to long to have it. So which do you choose the risk from the surgery, or the risk of not having it.... either way you are still DEAD... and at least by having it there is a change of a good ending. Not having it could mean living miserably the rest of your life. I have many people in my life that have had the surgery, and even my cousin who it almost killed would not change it if she could.

Im 22 and I did the hard work and dieting MANY times in my 22 years of life. Obviously still have to work hard at it. And I by no means think I took the easy way out!

Im so sorry for your loss!
  • TriumphantLife
    TriumphantLife Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would love to talk to her. She can contact me at triumphantlife@comf5.com. In the meantime, let her know that she is not going to get her first fill until about 6 weeks so dont worry that she may be hungry and not losing right now. It will come. I work for a Bariatric surgeon and I had Bypass 7 years ago and lost 160 lbs.
  • TriumphantLife
    TriumphantLife Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thats sad about your brother. I have to say it saved my life and we all must keep in mind who performed the surgery? Were they a Center of Excelence? Did the person who died have major co-morbidities? There are many things that contribut to death after Bariatric surgery.
  • mom_of_3_ts
    Options
    You are so right!!!! I weighed my options and I had the surgery done last week so far so good and down 14 pounds. I could either not walk and live with full blown diabetes. Live with all of the shots and pain arthritis sleeping problems maybe end up blind and lose of limbs and kidneys .. no let me have the surgery lose the 100+ lbs and give up the foods that make me sick. and be healthy.
    for the first time in my life I'm losing weight and not starving to do so. it's a relief to know that I there is a light at the diet tunnel and I will reach . it's as if a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and it has and will be :happy:
  • Jadiebabe91
    Options

I had lap band surgery about 2 and a half years ago. I am currently just a few pounds from goal. Please understand, that this WAS and STILL IS HARD WORK! I did not lose very much in the first 8 months after surgery. Then I joined MFP and for over the next year logged my calories. I continue to work out at the gym 5-6 days a week. I am quite pleased with my success and feel like a new person- both physically and emotionally. I had tried dieting and working out for the last 20 years and had very little success. The Lap Band was the tool I needed to change my life.

I had mine done 3 months ago. People need to understand it is a Tool, not a cure! It's the hardest thing I've ever done, harder than any kinda weight loss programme or diet, but it has given me the means to start eating healthy. I can't eat alot, and what I eat I want to be good an nutritional for me. I get exactly what you mean. I use MFP as a guidance of nutritional value :)
  • Heelen1993
    Heelen1993 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On this and other sites I have seen that a lot of people think the gastric would be the answer to their weight loss problems, the truth is as others have said it is a tool and you have to work at it with your providers to get the right restriction so that you feel satisfied after a small amount of food, about a tea plate full. If anyone is considering do your research, understand what slider foods are, foods that slip easily through the band like food in sauces, food like biscuits or food that crumbles which are not band foods so yes you can still eat icecream and calorie laden liquids. The band works by making the recepters at the top of your stomach stretch as they push food through and this tells your brain your are full. Also check out the 'golden rules' on you tube. It can take upto 6 months (some people more) to get the correct restriction for you personally. Also have to bear in mind you general state of health, hormones if you have lost weight, you are dehydrated. This is why a lot of providers have after care packages, to help you get there.

Also the healing process takes upto 6 weeks, the band is put at the top of your stomach and your stomach is stitched over it so that you body will make scar tissue to keep it in place, a lot of the animations do not show this, That is why you have to follow a post op diet of liquid, to mushy food to gradually introducing again normal foods.

I hope this is of interest to someone.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My BFF had the bypass and lost all the weight she needed and kept it off so far 5 or6 years. It was a slow journey for her too it doesn't happen overnight and now she still needs to eat healthy to maintain... It's a help but not magic... I've seen ppl who had it gain it all back!!! I also knew someone with the band but he never really lost much not sure how that works.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Btw band and bypass differ in that most pll with bypass will get "dumping syndrome " if they eat ice cream or too many sweets or certain carbs ... Look into it
  • K8EYDID
    K8EYDID Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hope this is of interest to someone.

Your post is spot on and full of true, usefull information. I had Realize band surgery April 5, 2011 and am down 103 #. My highest weight was 280 and now I'm 177 and my goal is 150. It is a long journey and a complete lifestyle change, for me, worth it, very worth it. At the age of 46 I had tried it all, succeeded and gained it all back. I did the math from my last low weight and figured I gained 7 pounds a year, for 14 years. 7 pounds doesn't sound like much, but after 14 years, it adds up to an unhealty, unhappy person!

I was lucky to find a surgeon with a great program, both pre and post op. Support group, education in nutrition, exercise and habbit forming are a must for success. I have met a few unsuccessful patients of this surgery and wonder "why haven't they lost any weight"? They did not have the benefit of a great program. The band is a tool, and you have to use it to make it work. Sure, I can eat cookies and ice cream with no problem, they will slide right through the band, and when I feel deprived or want something sweet, I will have a cookie, but just one, eat it slow and enjoy it, without any guilt.

There are some foods I think I may never eat again, they "get stuck" every time, no matter how much I chew....each person is different and you have to follow up with your Doctor and get regular band adjustments. My doc's rule of thumb is 1 cup of food, if I can eat more than that at one sitting, have stopped loosing weight and wake up hungry, then it's time for a "fill". I currently have 8.5 cc in my band. The first fill was 5 cc's @ 6 weeks post-op. Since then I averaged a 1 cc fill every 12 weeks, then once I hit 8 cc's only 1/2 cc fill. After I lost about 80 #'s the loss slowed down but I am getting very close to goal weight.

For anyone considering band surgery, do your research, add me as a friend, message me or email me @ k8eydid@aol.com.

Good luck to all :flowerforyou:
  • mom_of_3_ts
    Options
    You are so right!!!! I weighed my options and I had the surgery done last week so far so good and down 14 pounds. I could either not walk and live with full blown diabetes. Live with all of the shots and pain arthritis sleeping problems maybe end up blind and lose of limbs and kidneys .. no let me have the surgery lose the 100+ lbs and give up the foods that make me sick. and be healthy.
    for the first time in my life I'm losing weight and not starving to do so. it's a relief to know that I there is a light at the diet tunnel and I will reach . it's as if a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and it has and will be :happy:

this is my frist post almost a year ago. i'm now 109 pounds lighter and so much better!!!!!!! only 4 more to go and I;'ll hit my goal.