eating before or after excercising ???

2»

Replies

• thanks, thats basically what i have heard so that helps alot.
  • Eat something light beforehand like a slice of PB toast so you are not exercising on a empty stomach. Then have a breakfast with protein after you exercise. Also drink plenty of H2O! :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    My trainer says to do both...eat a fruit before and protein after.

I don't have a trainer and I don't do hardcore workouts (all cardio), but this is exactly what works for me.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    I try to do both. I eat about 1.5-2.0 hours before I workout, usually a good high protein and high carb meal. Then within 30 minutes of completing my workout I'll eat again. Once again high protein, but lighter on the carbs. The meal before hand sets me up with energy for the workout and the meal after gets my body a head start on recovery. Eating within 30 minutes of my workout helps me take advantage of an elevated metabolic state (at least according to the articles I've read - so what the heck I figure).
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    I exercise as soon as I'm out of bed, before my brain can talk me out of it & before my stomach wakes up. I shower after that & by the time I eat breakfast I'm starving & enjoy every bite.
    I find I have more energy first thing in the morning on an empty belly.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    I would say it depends on the workout. I do 50+ mile bike rides and would never attempt that having not fueled up. Also, a lot of heavy lifting may require more fuel also. Some light workouts, I would say maybe not.