I should not run.... really?

Options
13»

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I started @ 440lbs. yes you read that right 440 lbs. 6'3 feet tall. everyone was against it. damage my knees, ankles, etc etc. haven't yet. completed my first 5K few weeks ago. doing another this Saturday.
    1) I started slow
    2) got fitted for the right type of shoes for me
    3) took walk breaks when I needed to.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Call your local gyms about on site childcare! My gym I just signed up for has childcare 3 days a week during certain hours. I don't have kids but I know that would come in real handy for stay at home parents.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong - but I always understood that running would strengthen your joints and make them more elastic and durable in the years to come.

Here is my theory .... there are a lot of things in life we do that we "shouldn't" and find out in the long run we were just fine doing them. - risk if everything, if you don't start you will never know.

When I started running, I had SO SO many people tell me not to because it would hurt my knee, ankles, hips, etc etc, you get the point - I did it anyway and am so thrilled I did. Not a one of those people are runners btw

That was the case for me. Last summer I did Insanity for 63 straight days and it was killer on my knees. This summer I did it again for 63 days, with less weight and stronger tendons and I didn't have a problem.
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am 170 lbs. and somebody told me I should not run because I am so heavy

This is garbage!! ps: I'm 170 pounds and I'm running the NYC Marathon in one month :) You can totally do it!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of well meaning but misguided people out there who would tell anyone not to run, regardless of weight. I've run at 185# & am now 170 where I plan to stay and I run perfectly fine and my legs feel great.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think the only reason anyone should run is if there is someone bad chasing them. But that's just me. :laugh:

Amen to this!

Op:
    If you want to run, then run. If you don't want to run, then don't run.. it's as simple as that!
    As long are your doing an exercise that you enjoy and are not being caused major pain by it, then you're fine.
  • simkat
    simkat Posts: 72
    Options
    I started running @ 217# and ran 8 miles last Saturday @ 197#. I started with C25k, then a 10k program, and now working on 10mi. You CAN do it. Yes, the less you weight, the easier it is and I'm looking forward to running with 40# less someday. But, for now, I hate to think of what my life would be without it. I hope you love it as much as I do!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I could not run at 155lbs. I tried it once, ran for THREE minutes, hurt my knee and had to be careful for a week. My right knee has been relatively delicate for years, and it could not handle it.

But around 146lbs, I decided to give it a try, and ran almost two miles straight on my first go. Didn't hurt my knee either.

I know it's the few pounds that made the difference. Doing heavy weights on the leg press machine is still too much for my right knee. But running? No problem as far as my joints are concerned.

I say give it a try. If you feel any pain in your knee or hips, STOP. If not... keep going!!
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    "Barefoot" running is suppose to help with joint issues because you learn to use your foot properly and run with your foot hitting midstrike, the way it's suppose to, instead of artificially hitting the heel as shoes are designed to make you do. When you hit heel strike, it doesn't absorb the shock very well, and jars straight up the leg.

Downside is you have to ease into "barefoot" (I put it in quotes because there is footwear out there that will protect the soles of the feet, but promote the natural midstrike rather than heel strike. It uses different muscles, and you have to work the muscles in your feet as well that are currently unused in normal shoes. That means you need to work them like any other unused muscle, and they'll get sore until they get stronger and use to the work.

I haven't done it myself (I won't actually run without sole protection, and I'm too cheap to pay for the shoes), but I know that my joints kill me if I run in regular shoes. They did when I was 135. It, and the excrutiating and long migraines I use to get after, stopped me from running.

I only walk now.

I've read up on it and bit, and if I can ever let go of the bucks, I'd probably try it again minus the regular shoes.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Rubbish. I started running at 220. It is harder with more weight, but you have to start somewhere!!
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Get good trainers ........ Go to a good running shop, not one that has offers and just wants you to buy the shoe, but go to a shop where they try and get you the trainer for you... They will talk you though anything..

Who ever said that is cheeky!! You go for it, take it slow, you will build up over time, you can do this!!!

Hugs and keep happy xxx