Jogging or running?

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
Which do you feel you do?

I get irrationally cross when people mention me "jogging". I don't jog. I don't poodle along putting no effort in, I run, and I run fast. It's one of the 365 million things that gives me THE RAGE.

Replies

• MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I struggle but I get the job done :)
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I consider them one and the same. Jogging is just a nickname for running.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I consider them one and the same. Jogging is just a nickname for running.
    me too
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a run until I am at least going 7.0-7.5 MPH, I start jogging at 4.0, and walk below 4.0.
    Depending on your fitness the line between running and jogging could be different than mine, that being said, if you strides are shorter it is a jog, running requires longer strides.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    What's your speed?
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a "bouncer"
  • jtapp9
    jtapp9 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm actually pretty darned slow. But I believe running is defined as any forward movement that is not walking :). I do like to call myself a runner and not a jogger...It just sounds cooler!

I do walk/run intervals. Most people would say I do walk/shuffle or walk/jog intervals. I don't care what they say...I run! :)
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a colour co-ordinated track suit and a terry cloth sweat band, and therefore I don't jog, I run. ;)

I would disagree that shorter strides = jogging. My stride is quite short, and I am definitely a runner, not a jogger.
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I consider what I do jogging, but I think people don't really use that term anymore-now its all running, just at different speeds. That's what I have heard, anyway.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I run. I see all sorts of people on the street around me running. Never seen a jogger. :tongue:
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I'm a runner. Call me what you want though.
    I may not be fast but I will lap anyone that's still sitting on their couch. ;)
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    potAto, potato...it's all relative...

My husband's definition of the two is this: He JOGS when someone slow is chasing him, He RUNS when someone fast is chasing him.
  • BotsMomJ
    BotsMomJ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well, I do the best I can to run. But I am not very fast. So I can not hardly say I'm a runner. I have recently done my first 6 miles ever in my life. (Never thought I would be able to say that.) When I say slow, I mean I do between a 12 and 12.5 minute mile. Which I know is not very fast. So...I consider this a jog. I am a jogger, not a runner. As much as I would like to be a part of the "runner's" world. I don't think I will ever be there. Try as I might....I am pleased with my most recent accomplishment of 6 miles. :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I remember when the term "jogging" was first coined. Although most people use it to mean a slow run now, it didn't mean the same thing as running originally. Jogging was a method of running where you pulled your knees very high with each step. Kind of like a mix of running and marching. Much slower than running, certainly, but it was also a lot harder and I'm sure burned a lot more calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    http://www.jogging101.com/jogging-vs-running.html
    Jogging vs running: What's the difference between jogging and running?

Jogging is a form of trotting or running at a slow or leisurely pace. Its main intention is to increase fitness with less stress on the body than from faster running.

There is a distinct difference between jogging and running. One is performed at a more comfortable, relaxed pace. Its done primarily for cardiovascular fitness and weight loss.

Running, on the other hand, is done at a faster pace. A mile is typically completed in 8 minutes or less.

Not everyone can compete as a runner, but most of us can be joggers. We may not do interval or tempo runs as speed is not always our goal, but getting outside and pushing yourself is rewarding in itself.

Jogging is a terrific exercise for beginners. Most joggers can certainly compete in local running events. Its a great idea to sign up for an event to see what it feels like to be part of something fun and motivational.
  • mountiewife
    Options
    I'm a runner. Call me what you want though.
    I may not be fast but I will lap anyone that's still sitting on their couch. ;)
    HaHa!!! This is me too, I am not fast..run at about 5.5mph...but it's fast enough for me right now:)
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't move that fast so in my world (population 1) it's a run at 4.8 then a sprint at 6 mph...if I'm doing 7mph then I am clearly running down hill with a dog coming after me. I guess if I were a marathon runner I would be sensitive about it, but I'm not and I come back home DRENCHED so I get the job done.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    potAto, potato...it's all relative...

My husband's definition of the two is this: He JOGS when someone slow is chasing him, He RUNS when someone fast is chasing him.

Quite. I JOG after the children is they are playing round, usually in jeans. I RUN during races and on my training 10k route.

My average speed is about 7 mph long distance (I do 10k in 52-54 mins)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Physiologically:

If both feet leave the ground during the stride, you are running.

If one foot remains on the ground, you are walking.

Jogging is a descriptive term for a type of running--it is not something different than running.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have very, very dark hair, and I'm an artist. I used to get annoyed when people would say my hair was black, because I know my colors and it's brown. Very dark brown, but brown, not black. Asian women have beautiful black hair. I don't.

I've since decided it really doesn't matter what anyone else calls it.

But as far as running vs jogging... I jog when I exercise. I run when I race. :tongue: