best time to exercise

Options
wanted to know everyone opinion on the best time to exercise. I get up at 4am to do it before I go to work. seems i can do better then.

Replies

• lgsprs
    lgsprs Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    wanted to know everyone opinion on the best time to exercise. I get up at 4am to do it before I go to work. seems i can do better then.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    There are different theories on this, but it really will depend on when you can make yourself do it. I am so not a morning person, so for me, doing it before work is just not an option. I typically do it after dinner, or on my days off, sometime after I eat breakfast.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Good on ya for doing it before work that early! :flowerforyou: I like right after lunch at 1:00. Use to do it that way when I took the kids back to school, now that I'm home all the time, I like to get some things done and then do it. :happy:
  • abillings9
    Options
    I have been trying to exercise mid morning. It works out well for me and gives me a good boost of energy for the rest of the day.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    First thing in the AM works best for me. Otherwise it seems something always happens and it's harder to fit in!! But I think it's all in what works best for your schedule. I'm a morning person, so I don't mind getting up early (well, some days I do! :laugh: ).
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I workout in the mornings!
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    How do you guys do it? I can't drag myself out of bed in the mornings...and by the time my son goes to bed at night I am tired and ready for bed also! I only get a 30 min lunch so I can't do it then... ???
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I workout after work- I have a hard enough time trying to get up for work on time let alone get up before than to workout trust me I tried I slept clear through the alarm haha- So I get off work and while the kids are playing or doing homework and dinner is cooking I knock my workout out- or I workout then cook dinner..

Evenings just work better for me- plus working out makes me tired so it helps me sleep good at night.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    How do you guys do it? I can't drag myself out of bed in the mornings...and by the time my son goes to bed at night I am tired and ready for bed also! I only get a 30 min lunch so I can't do it then... ???

You have to make time- its easy to say you don't have time- but time will never come you have to make the time- I workout while my kids are still up they even jump in sometimes right next to me.
    I don't know how old your son is but I have a 4 and 7 year old.

what about your lunch break I know you said you have 30 minutes what about 15 for eating and the rest for taking a walk atleast you would get some kind of activity- I used to walk on my 15 min breaks and after I ate my lunch when I was at work. Now I dont get breaks lol-

30 day shred by jillian michaels is a great quick workout when you don't have much time its a total of 27 minutes and kicks butt it comes in 3 different levels and its 9.00 at walmart all you will need is hand weights
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

I set my alarm clock, lay out my clothes the night before, and hop out of bed as soon as my alarm goes off. I don't let myself hit snooze!! Also, I don't know how old your son is, but my girls love to work out with me! (they are 10, 7, & 5) You'll also find that once you get used to exercising, you will have more energy and feel better! :bigsmile:
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    I like the afternoon, sometime between 2:00 and 5:00, I find I have more energy, I'm "warmed up" and I usually have a better run at that time of day. I have heard that working out in the morning you tend to lose weight a little bit faster. Not sure if that is true or not.
  • Drewseph
    Options
    I've read and heard that the best time to work out is first thing in the morning, before you've had anything to eat, and be sure to drink some water. It's a great way to jump start your metabolism! Now, I'm not a morning person...at all. That being said it ultimately comes down to your energy zone - when you have your highest amount of energy during the day.
    I've found that since I'm a night owl the 7pm or 8pm workouts were nice, but they would get me really wound-up for the rest of the night and I can't go to sleep...so...
    Aim for the morning before breakfast, but really just try and find a time that's going to be consistent for your schedule!
    -Drew
  • lgsprs
    lgsprs Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym every morning and seems better for me. i have a house full of people who don't get up early so making my self go out to the gym it seems better for me i think. I don't have time to think I just throw on the clothes and go. I'm up to 3.0 to 3.4 on the tread mill for 30 min then do the machines for 20 min the back home. i do seem to feel better during the day. i don't think it's too bad for 300+ person
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    As a SAHM to 3 young kiddos I have to fit it in when I can...this usually means while the kids are napping. If I'm up for more I will do an additional workout once the kiddos go to bed (thankfully, we have early bedtimes around here...typically 7:30).