what size kettlebell should i start with?

Options
hi, i've been researching kettlebell and really want to give it a try. only problem is i dont know what weight to start with.
im 5'2 and currently 124lbs with previous regular gym history.
anyone have any ideas? all info more than welcome :smile:

3373860.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I started with a 10lb kettlebell and though slightly shaky on a couple of exercises at the very beginning, I'm glad I went with a 10 because a 5lb would have been way too light after about a week.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I started with a 7-lb contour kettlebell...it seemed about right for my abilities as a newbie.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Jillian makes one kettlebell with removable weights. It goes up to 20 lbs which should be more than enough to challenge for a while. You can get them at Target, Meijer I think Wal-mart carries them too. About 19.95 here
  • gates1064
    gates1064 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    http://www.artofstrength.com/display/Search?searchQuery=right+size+kettlebell&moduleId=10915557

This lin, i hope, Is how to determine the right size KB.

Check out the Art of Strength Website link above. The minute of strenght clips are very helpful t keep thing fresh. I have been Kb training off and on for the past year. I started with a local cert. trainer and then moved to working on my own. Its a great all around workout!!

Good Luck!!
  • nikki2609
    nikki2609 Posts: 128
    Options
    thanks peoples, someone told me to try with a 15lb but im thinking to heavy to start?! gonna give the 10lb a go me thinks xx

3373860.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a look at the artofstrength.com videos.

I started with a 10lb. bell about a year ago. It very quickly got put aside for heavier weights. It depends on what exercises you are doing though. I use 15lb for windmills and tricep curls, 20-25lb for the majority of things, and go up to 30lb for the 2 minute set of swings at the beginning of one of my dvds. (I'm a 44 year old mom with very little workout experience prior to this year)