Baby carrots recipes?

Options
I bought a HUGE bag of baby carrots (3-lb or 5-lb .. can't remember now) and I'm really picky with textures of fruits/veggies. In the bag they looked fine, but they're a little slimy. Not old slimy, but like they have been soaked in water too long slimy (not sure how else to describe the texture). They're fine freshness-wise but I can't get over the texture. I have been cutting them up and putting them on top of my salad, but I can't eat them plain.

Usually I'll eat a pound bag in a couple days, but I've barely made a dent in these and don't want them to go bad.

Any ideas on how I can cook these up and make them more appealing?

Replies

• 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If you washed them with a scrub brush, would that help?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Cook them into a stew!

This is a Cooking Light recipe that uses a couple cups of chopped up carrots: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/beef-daube-provenal-10000000780341/
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could grate them and make carrot bread!! Or maybe blend them to a pulp and add to your spaghetti, it's one of my favorites, I also use carrots in stir fry and soups.. hope this helps!!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could grate them and make carrot bread!! Or maybe blend them to a pulp and add to your spaghetti, it's one of my favorites, I also use carrots in stir fry and soups.. hope this helps!!
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been taking carrots and putting them in the over with chicken broth. Add thyme, salt and pepper and cook for an hour (depending on the size). They are fantastic. My kids love them that way
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I like to steam or grill them. They are also delicious cooked in the broth of a roast.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas - thanks! I think tonight I'll need to try putting them in the oven with chicken broth and herbs/spices.

Although carrot bread sounds amazing!
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem once and made these. They were so good. Even my 2 and 4 year old devoured them.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/candied-carrots/detail.aspx
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Candied carrots?! Oh that sounds amazing! Maybe a great dessert alternative.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I LOVE carrot soup! I wish I had the recipe my mom uses, it's so fantastic. But I'm sure there are tons of recipes on the internet!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    1 lb in 2 T water, microwave for 8 minutes stirring once halfway through. Drain. Add 2T light butter or your substitute and 1 t. dill weed. Stir and salt to taste.

My picky 9 y/o asks for these often!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    In stews, soups, curry, steamed, candied, roasted, dipped into ranch for snacks, shredded and baked into carrot cake, shredded and made into carrot salad - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Shredded-Carrot-Salad/Detail.aspx

I've seen recipes that call for pureeing them and adding them to spaghetti sauce and baked goodies for added nutrition. Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook had tons of those recipes. I ought to dig it out from wherever it was stashed one of these days.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas - thanks! I think tonight I'll need to try putting them in the oven with chicken broth and herbs/spices.

Although carrot bread sounds amazing!

Did you try this?? My kids loved it!!