Zumba

Options
What " Beginner Zumba" would you highly recommend? I'm thinking about buying the dvd, but not sure which one...Need advice.
Thank you in advance~

Replies

• lilsnowbird
    Options
    I want to hear the responses to this too as I may want to attempt this at home to get more experience. I go to classes 3 days a week but I could do this all week, it is so much fun....
  • divainprogress2012
    Options
    Well this is what I did. As a beginner I had NO IDEA what Zumba was. But I didnt do no at home dvds. I went to the class at the gym and just blended in with the other ladies as if I really knew what I was doing LOL!! But the more you go the better you will get at it. Its really fun especially when you doing it with a GROUP of ppl.
  • jvdw88
    jvdw88 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey! I got so excited when I saw zumba!! Zumba has helped me lose 40 lbs since March...I am a firm believer in it, am getting certified to teach it on Sunday, and will be an instructor starting in December :) How I got into it was by purchasing the zumba total body tranformation system from tv...I think altogether it came to like $75, and comes with so many dvd options! There is an instruction one on how to do the moves, a 20 minute express, a 17 min abs, a 45 min cardio party, a 45 min body toning, and a 60 min zumba live class dvd. Included with the dvds also come the toning sticks...now, I would recommend maybe looking on ebay for them cheaper...I will actually be selling a brand new unopened dvd system next week. I am receiving one when I get certified, but obviously don't need it since I already bought one in March. Honestly, I have tried so many types of exercise and zumba is the most fun I have EVER tried! I have a blast, and it shaped my body like none other. Since most the moves include you moving at the mid section, it curves your stomach, sides, and back like crazy! Also, my legs are MUCH more toned and tight then they used to be. And the best part? You can burn around 500 calories in an hour. It's amazing! Ask me if you need to know more! :)
  • jvdw88
    jvdw88 Posts: 8
    Options
    Oh, I forgot! I know the same program (It's creator is Beto) came out with a new zumba tranformation system this year, but I would NOT recommend it. It just seems much more showy, with less options and more hype and pretty lights. I also think it comes with less dvds but I'm not for sure...oh, and it's at least $30 more...so I suggest go with the older version! :)
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am going to check into it on EBay and Amazon.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I have just bought the total transformation on Amazon today! I have been to several classes and it's always fun.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I recommend buying the Exhilirate set (7 DVDs). It has a DVD breaking down the moves, a beginners workout, a short but intense 20 workout for when you just don't have time for a full hour, plus 3 full (55 - 60 min) workouts, and the "Ripped" DVD which incorporates strength training. Each song on each DVD can be skipped if desired so you can pick and choose to get a different workout each time and make it as long or short as you want.
  • tiffbou2
    tiffbou2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Zumba instructor! :)

There is no real "beginner" or "advanced" when it comes to Zumba DVDs or classes (with the exception of the introduction to the moves DVD that comes with the Exhilarate set). Some instructors have more difficult choreography, some have more challenging fitness aspects to their classes, and some are easier all around, just like the diversity in any group fitness class instruction. The key is to find an instructor who suits your needs and you enjoy. Also, don't get discouraged if you don't "get it" the first couple workouts. I tell new people that it usually takes 3-4 classes to really catch on. Instructors are also trained not to verbally cue much or break down steps, so it's natural to feel lost if you are brand new. After a while, you start to figure out that the movements and routines are quite repetitive and when you master the core moves, you can really work them.

I would HIGHLY recommend taking a live class. Many instructors out there offer classes independant of gyms, and charge per class. If you go to www.zumba.com and type in your ZIP in the class locator, it will show you locations and class times, and information as to whether a class requires a membership to a facility or if it's an independant (mostly in churches, community centres). Most charge $5-$8 per class. The live class is so much fun. My classes get a lot of people so it really does feel like a party! I have a great group of women, many who have bonded over Zumba.
    Good luck!
  • ZumbaGypsy
    ZumbaGypsy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I so recommend a class also! It may take a couple of weeks, but then you will be hooked! I had attended several classes with various instructors before I found instructors that I really love and have been following two instructors for over a year! I go to classes three days per week and feel totally lost when I cannot attend. I have been down and then up (unfortunately) 20 lbs as well in the past year, which is why I am here again with now almost 40 to lose! I will be having surgery in November and am already upset about not being able to go to class until the new year !

There are many Zumbathons for Breast Cancer this month; what a great time to try out (or observe) a fun-filled class!

Party in Pink! :)

Carol.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Zumba instructor! :)

There is no real "beginner" or "advanced" when it comes to Zumba DVDs or classes (with the exception of the introduction to the moves DVD that comes with the Exhilarate set). Some instructors have more difficult choreography, some have more challenging fitness aspects to their classes, and some are easier all around, just like the diversity in any group fitness class instruction. The key is to find an instructor who suits your needs and you enjoy. Also, don't get discouraged if you don't "get it" the first couple workouts. I tell new people that it usually takes 3-4 classes to really catch on. Instructors are also trained not to verbally cue much or break down steps, so it's natural to feel lost if you are brand new. After a while, you start to figure out that the movements and routines are quite repetitive and when you master the core moves, you can really work them.

I would HIGHLY recommend taking a live class. Many instructors out there offer classes independant of gyms, and charge per class. If you go to www.zumba.com and type in your ZIP in the class locator, it will show you locations and class times, and information as to whether a class requires a membership to a facility or if it's an independant (mostly in churches, community centres). Most charge $5-$8 per class. The live class is so much fun. My classes get a lot of people so it really does feel like a party! I have a great group of women, many who have bonded over Zumba.
    Good luck!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Tiffbou you recommend going to the live classes, which I'm sure does ad to the fun factor, but would you recommend getting the videos to learn the routine?