Need excerise ideas

Cheyenne811
Cheyenne811 Posts: 4
edited October 3 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay so I want to start exercising, but I dont have money for equipment, or the gym. The things I do have, 3 horses, 2 dogs, and a **** load of room to walk. :) ideas on what I should do everyday??

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    GET MOVING!!

Start 1-3 miles walks. Then, walk for 5 mins, run for one, and again and again and then keep changing it up.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Get the dogs and go for a walk! If you have hills around you, all the better! Hiking/Walking is my primary form of exercise, and it's been really effective for me.
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Walking, jogging, hiking, swimming, jump roping, push-ups, sit-ups, lunges...heck, just get out there and move.
  • You will see the best results if you do not do the same thing everyday. Say for instance, walk one (or run) day, do manual exercises such as lunges, crunches, etc, one day and some kind of weight training. You can use things you already have around the house for weight training such as can foods, bags of sugar or flour or anything with some weight to it for resistance. Use you imagination, just mix it up to see more results. And really important, don't forget to stretch all your muscles before you start any exercise to prevent injury or strain muscles. Good luck.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Here's an excellent website of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) that I follow. The emphasis is on "High Intensity!" It's not for the faint of heart, but if you're willing to do it, the results are amazing.

www.bodyrock.tv

It's basically a blog/vlog that this couple updates regularly on their workout routine. There's a very strong, supportive community that follows these two as well!

Equipment is completely unnecessary, though many of the workouts do use simple equipment. It's easy to substitute alternate "equipment," or exercise that doesn't require any equipment. Be innovative!

Time also isn't a factor. The longest workout is 65 minutes (only one this length), but 90% of them are in the 10-15 minute range. That doesn't include warm-up (10-15 min) and cool down (I usually just stretch. Takes 15 min).

Give it a try! You'll soon learn to love the pain. :P Let us know how it turns out!
  • If you want to do some arm exercises fill milk jugs with sand or something to the desired weight, jump rope, squats, crunches, lunges.... check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN1Duqm3WfA so awesome for great routines
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Do you have high speed internet? If so look into exercisetv.tv.com - they have lots of free workouts available for instant streaming. If you like the idea of walking - look for Start! Walking 2 Miles (1 mile is also available called Cardio Slim Down). These are great when the weather is nasty outside.

Netflix also has workouts - streaming & otherwise. Many of the workouts do not require equipment. You could use heavy cans, bottles of water, milk jugs, in place of weights.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    walking, jogging (the dogs will love you, if you need motivation to do more, take the dogs separately for a half an hour each, one in the morning, one in the afternoon?)

push ups (i started being able to do 1 man pushup, now i can do 3 sets of 10)

burpees / mountain climbers

squats / jump squats

lunges

crunches / russian twists (look them up)
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Grab a chair from your dining room table and just sit and stand repeatedly without using your hands. Then when you get good at that, try sitting but don't actually let your bum hit the chair before standing again. It'll get your heart rate up fast and work your glutes and quads. Also try everything the others above me said. One thing also that is cheap and very effective is the jump rope. Omg that kills me. I have to do it in bursts and rest lol
  • kpxfiles
    kpxfiles Posts: 56 Member
    I love to watch music videos on youtube and dance. I try to do the moves in the video and make up my own moves. Anything that gets your heart rate up is exercise. Cleaning out the horse stable is exercise.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    I love "BodyRock" on youtube and the lady there looks amazing, real easy to follow, hard exercises, so when your not out walking your dogs or ridding your horses..

Turn on the computer for half an hour and workout! xx
  • musky4
    musky4 Posts: 121 Member
    I like Leslie Sansone walking DVD's and my dog (Gus, a siberian husky) LOVES to walk!!
    you could also look around on ebay for an ellipical machine -- there are some low grade ones relatively cheap.
    hope that helps :) have fun in deciding.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 256 Member
    Here's an excellent website of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) that I follow. The emphasis is on "High Intensity!" It's not for the faint of heart, but if you're willing to do it, the results are amazing.

www.bodyrock.tv

It's basically a blog/vlog that this couple updates regularly on their workout routine. There's a very strong, supportive community that follows these two as well!

Equipment is completely unnecessary, though many of the workouts do use simple equipment. It's easy to substitute alternate "equipment," or exercise that doesn't require any equipment. Be innovative!

Time also isn't a factor. The longest workout is 65 minutes (only one this length), but 90% of them are in the 10-15 minute range. That doesn't include warm-up (10-15 min) and cool down (I usually just stretch. Takes 15 min).

Give it a try! You'll soon learn to love the pain. :P Let us know how it turns out!

Love this website, I have been following them consistently for a few weeks now and I recommend this to everyone who wants a killer workout!
  • VictoriaFitness2010
    VictoriaFitness2010 Posts: 175 Member
    Some Suggestions:

1) If you are short on funds, check out Craigslist or eBay for inexpensive at-home fitness equipment (small weights, resistance bands, etc.). Walmart and other discount retailers sale fitness stuff at very inexpensive prices. You can also check out your local Goodwill or CCA. Lot's of people donate their unwanted fitness items.

2) As recommended by other posters, walk/jog/run! It appears that you have a lot of open space! Join a walking group in your area...or heck...start one and make a new friend. Dust off your roller skates or roller blades.

3) If you have a DVD player, go to your local library and check out a few fitness videos. It's free and most libraries have a good selection of videos. Our local library allows patrons to renew their checked out books and videos online!

4) Do you subscribe to Netflix? You can view fitness videos online (some) for free with your membership (depending on your level of membership).

5) Have a gym close by? Offer your services in exchange for a free or discounted membership. Lots of people do this. I have a good friend who applied for a job at her local gym. She talked to the owner and offered to work in the children's play area in exchange for a free or reduced membership...the owner jumped on the offer! She now works 2 days out of the week and exercises for FREE. All you have to do is ask. (This works well with smaller, family owned gyms.)

6) Barter - ask your friends, family, or neighbors if they have fitness equipment you can barter in exchange for other items. Maybe someone needs that Crockpot you haven't used in years. Perhaps they have a set of weights collecting dust in their garage. Ask to exchange items! I did this with a friend recently. I needed a set of resistance bands and she needed a set of bakeware. I have three sets of bakeware, so we exchanged items.

There are so many ways to get in shape on a budget. Be creative! You will be surprised!

Work it out!
  • If you have an Android powered phone, look up the free app called 'VirtuaGym.' It has exercises for both home (no materials needed) and gym (machines). I use it for when I travel (which I do frequently) and can't get to a gym. That, combined with your regular walking/running exercise, should help get you started.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Ride horses. Walk dogs.
  • Put on some running shoes, hiking boots are whatever and hit the trail. Chase the dogs on foot with the horse, chase the horses with the dogs, just move it like the songs says :)
  • Thank you so much everybody! I am shocked how supportive everybody is! I was hesitant at first, I like to do things in secret, but everyone here is wonderful!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    that's plenty! walking, jogging are good-but can get dull.

walking lunges, carrying your dogs (i have a 43 pound husky mix, a 52 pound husky mix, and a 64 pound pit bull mix. and they all think they weigh about 10 lbs!) hop squats, suicide drills....

uhm...pushups, high knees, butt kicks.....

crab walks, bear crawls

find a stump and jump on and off of it.

climb a tree!

get in the saddle...out of the saddle. in the saddle...out of the saddle (this toned my thighs AND taught my mare to stand still)

tricep dips!

walk backwards

hop on one foot!

seriously, my mom and i went to the elementary in town (gate to gate is one mile exactly) and i did pullups on the monkey bars, we ran bleachers, i did muscle ups on the jungle gym rings, box jumps on the benches, hang upside down off the monkey bars and did sit ups...basically everything i did as a kid! get creative with it, invite buddies and play tag or play with your dogs (i like to throw a baseball and race my dogs to get it) remember-there was a point in time that we played outside and DIDNT call it exercise. :)
This discussion has been closed.