Discouraging thought...loose skin Q for those who've lost a

Options
Edit: full title should be Discouraging thought...loose skin Q for those who have lost a lot of weight

I've lost 60 pounds so far and have been feeling really good about my body...when I'm dressed...But for the first time, today I really looked at myself after I got out of the shower, and I was disgusted...literally disgusted by the loose skin that I have. Almost to the point that I couldn't help but think that I was less disgusted with my body when I weighed 340 pounds than I am now with this sagging skin. 60 pounds is a lot, but it's just a drop in the bucket when you consider that I still have 130 to go. I guess I just didn't imagine that I'd have so much loose skin already, and now I am so discouraged because I am terrified of what I am going to look like when I get to my goal weight.

For those of you who have lost a lot of weight, did you have these fears at any point in your journey? How did you cope with it? Someone at work said that I was just looking for an excuse to stop eating healthier and that I'm using my fear of this loose skin as that excuse, but I don't think that's the case. Any thoughts?

Replies

• BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Edit: full title should be Discouraging thought...loose skin Q for those who have lost a lot of weight

I've lost 60 pounds so far and have been feeling really good about my body...when I'm dressed...But for the first time, today I really looked at myself after I got out of the shower, and I was disgusted...literally disgusted by the loose skin that I have. Almost to the point that I couldn't help but think that I was less disgusted with my body when I weighed 340 pounds than I am now with this sagging skin. 60 pounds is a lot, but it's just a drop in the bucket when you consider that I still have 130 to go. I guess I just didn't imagine that I'd have so much loose skin already, and now I am so discouraged because I am terrified of what I am going to look like when I get to my goal weight.

For those of you who have lost a lot of weight, did you have these fears at any point in your journey? How did you cope with it? Someone at work said that I was just looking for an excuse to stop eating healthier and that I'm using my fear of this loose skin as that excuse, but I don't think that's the case. Any thoughts?
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    When I had gastric bypass in 2001 I had to have my stomach skin removed in a process called a panniculectomy after 180 lbs(the next year) because it was impeding my ability to walk. I know one day when I finish losing I will have to have more tucks. I know what you mean though. When I weighed 535 pounds at my heaviest, I felt sexy weird I know but as the skin sagged more I felt so unattractive that I haven't dated in that time. I think it became a mental block for me and that is why I stopped losing 5-6 years ago and put some weight back on. But now I have decided that even saggy my body is much better off without the extra weight. Not sure if I helped but I want you to know I'm there for you if you just need to talk. :smile:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • ginaoakes
    Options
    Hi Laura,

I have lost 50 lbs and have also had three children many years ago. . . things are in completely different places then they use to be :grumble: It is hard sometimes to look at the physical changes our bodies go through and not get discouraged. I know that for me fitting into a smaller size was not the primary goal (it is a nice effect though) mine was getting healthy, and off of 6 different prescription medications (DID THAT ALREADY :love: ). I got a tip from Tamtastic on MFP to try and dwell on the things you like about your body and not on the things you don't !! I look better and feel better in clothes . . . My husband and myself are the only ones that see anything else :embarassed: just something to think about. I was also told by my dermatologist that it can take up to 2 years for your skin to recover some of its elasticity after big weight loss. You do always have the option of surgery when you reach your goal.

Hope you are able to see a bright and healthy future !
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I am scared to death of surgery, and I guess I was hoping that there was a more natural way to get rid of the loose skin...lately I've been feeling pretty "off" in a lot of ways, so this is just another thing that's bringing me down...but it's a true concern...and it scares me.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I got a little panicky about this in the beginning, but then I realized worse case scenario- I just have to get tucks. :bigsmile: Also, I think toning exercises are supposed to help. I probably focus more on toning than I do on cardio. I like the idea of building muscles.

It helps to be young too! I peeked at your profile and saw you were only 25. :blushing: So the greater amounts of elastin in your skin should help a little (at least in comparison to if you were 20 years older). :flowerforyou:
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Yeah, I was kind of banking on the fact that my age will help...but I guess I figured that I wouldn't see loose skin already when I've only lost 1/3 of the weight I need to lose...so seeing it really freaked me out...
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Just bumping this up to get a few more people's input...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I think some of the loose skin you have now may be weighed down by fat still under the skin. My stomach was looking pretty scary a few months ago but is a bit better now. Your age will have a LOT to do with it, as will how long you have been overweight.

You are a beautiful young lady! Keep exercising because I have read in many different places this will help with the loose skin, as will drinking enough water. Apply a really good cream ( I use straight up cocoa butter in a stick from the pharmacy!) at night before you go to bed.

In the end you will know you have done all you can to make it better and just may have to go for that tummy tuck! I think there is a certain place in Miami that has your name written in the sand...and the back of a beach chair!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    I think some of the loose skin you have now may be weighed down by fat still under the skin. My stomach was looking pretty scary a few months ago but is a bit better now. Your age will have a LOT to do with it, as will how long you have been overweight.

You are a beautiful young lady! Keep exercising because I have read in many different places this will help with the loose skin, as will drinking enough water. Apply a really good cream ( I use straight up cocoa butter in a stick from the pharmacy!) at night before you go to bed.

In the end you will know you have done all you can to make it better and just may have to go for that tummy tuck! I think there is a certain place in Miami that has your name written in the sand...and the back of a beach chair!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie

Oh yeah, I'm coming to Miami when I get to my goal weight...I'm just hoping I won't have to do it in a moo-moo to cover up all of my sagging skin!
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Bumping this again to get some input from the evening crowd...
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Ive only lost 45-50pounds in almost a year and I dont have loose loose skin yet . I too like to tone. I need to start back with my crunches again. I wasnt doing anyworkouts at one point and only did CRUNCHES ALL THROUGH THE DAY! But now Im walking 3+miles a day, 6 days a week. I guess maybe I need to walk a few days and crunches a few days. ALTERNATE! I too am SO SCARED OF LOOSE SKIN. Cause I have bac stretch marks too! Ive had them since 10th grade and they got worse when Prego. A tummy tuck wouldme help my stretch marks. IT SUCKS! I dont thinkmy belly will ever be atractive! :sad:
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Ive only lost 45-50pounds in almost a year and I dont have loose loose skin yet . I too like to tone. I need to start back with my crunches again. I wasnt doing anyworkouts at one point and only did CRUNCHES ALL THROUGH THE DAY! But now Im walking 3+miles a day, 6 days a week. I guess maybe I need to walk a few days and crunches a few days. ALTERNATE! I too am SO SCARED OF LOOSE SKIN. Cause I have bac stretch marks too! Ive had them since 10th grade and they got worse when Prego. A tummy tuck wouldme help my stretch marks. IT SUCKS! I dont thinkmy belly will ever be atractive! :sad:

It's just a mental thing...I mean, I know I will be so much healthier and happier at a healthy weight, but the loose skin is really scaring me...almost to the point that I want to quit and let my skin just adjust before I lose any more weight...or just quit all together...I know that's not the way...but I'm finding myself stressing out about it A LOT.
  • rrmudd
    rrmudd Posts: 12
    Options
    I too have hanging skin on my tummy. It's discouraging because before when I was heavier I couldn't see my feet and now there is something else hiding.:blushing: Good Luck
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    Hey Laura!

What has helped with my lose skin is weight lifting! I mean,i still have some lose skin in my belly and thighs but i think It would have looked worse if i didn't pull out that bar bell and dumbells twice a week while losing.

also, running has really helped the lose skin on my legs tighten up nicely! I lost the majority of my weight within a year (2006) so in 07-08 my body has been playing catch-up! Does that make sense? Its kinda adjusting to its new mold! My body is still changing with every lb I lose....just give it time:flowerforyou: And congrats on your weightloss so far!!!!:drinker:
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I am one of the lucky few. I lost 90lbs in a year and I have no hanging skin. I talked to my trainer aboutt his the other day and she said for me I was very lucky. I have always been very muscular, even in my heavier days, and that is one thing that helped me, also my genetics. She also said that it helps if you are doing weight training for toning while you are losing weight. It may not eliminate the hanging skin, but it could help a little.

Good Luck!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I havn't lost nearly as much as some, but I do have sagging skin. Mostly it's on my tricep area, and I have some on my inner thighs and tummy too. It's not excessive and I'd much rather have it than all that fat I was carrying around. I'm pretty sure mine is tightening up too. It doesn't seem as bad lately as it was 2 or 3 months ago so maybe it's snapping back into place. Drink lots of water, it helps with your skin's elasticity. If the sagging sticks around or even gets worse you can worry about it later. healthy and saggy is better for you any day, and there are surgical options if it truly bothers you that much once you're finished with losing. :flowerforyou:
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My aunt ,who was in her 40s at the time, lost about 80 pounds and her skin was very saggy. All of a sudden she looked like an old lady. Her face, arms, legs all had saggy skin. BUT...about 6 months after having lost the weight, her body tightened up all on its own. Her face and skin looked great.

I say give it time. Especially at your age.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    My aunt ,who was in her 40s at the time, lost about 80 pounds and her skin was very saggy. All of a sudden she looked like an old lady. Her face, arms, legs all had saggy skin. BUT...about 6 months after having lost the weight, her body tightened up all on its own. Her face and skin looked great.

really? That is very encouraging! I'm really glad you shared that, I am hoping mine all shapes back up nicely... I mean if not I'll live, and it'll be ok, but I'm really hoping to get into a teeny bikini on my honeymoon! :flowerforyou:
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options

Thanks so much for sharing that...I know I'm young and have that on my side...When I'm in the shower I exfoliate and then put on lotion to lock the moisture in (the lady at the spa that I went to said that that was as effective as a full body wrap to remove toxins [and inches] from the body)...I do drink a lot of water, as I know that will help too...I have some small hand weights and resistance bands that I can start using...but how heavy do the weights have to be to accomplish something? right now I just have 1 pound ankle weights, 1 pound wrist weights, 2 pound weight balls, and 5 pound hand weights
  • KatieEppers
    KatieEppers Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think any amount of weight is good. You need it to be small starting out anyway. You will want to build it up as you go, but use what you have for now. I don't have the personal experience, so maybe I shouldn't post at all. I agree with what others are saying, DRINK that water, more than the 8 glasses a day. Also, the cocoa butter is a great idea, as well as vitamin E. Don't get discourage, though. Don't give up on the healthy you, because ultimately if you quit now, that is what you are losing. You can do it sister. Keep on keeping on!