Regular vs. Light (low fat, fat free or other kind)

hafdis
hafdis Posts: 43 Member
So I was wondering does it pay off to get the light or fat free food? I was looking at Sour cream and there was like 10 cal difference? The reason I ask is because a lot of time they add stuff to the food to make up for taste and texture of the lighter versions ... while the full flavor products have less additives...

what are your thoughts?

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    I buy the light stuff. But I'm weird. Except sugar, I go straight "normal" sugar. The other stuff tastes like poo.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    I don't like what they do the lower fat stuff. Usually it tastes bad. That said low fat cottage cheese and cream cheese taste fine but mayo and every other cheese is just nasty. Not even worth eating them.

I always end up with calories to spare so I'm not worried about that but I have a harder time keeping fat grams in check. But I would rather give up something else with fat than eat some of the nasty low fat stuff.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Depends what it is and what I'm using it for. The extra light is not. Low fat dairy is usually fine - the cottage cheese, yoghurt, milk - and it's not got any weird processing in it to make it low fat.

Some low fat foods seem to be full of nasties though, and I won't buy those. If they're having to do strange processing to get fats out of food it's not worth it. And low fat cheese for cooking (cheddar) isn't good. It doesn't melt right. I'd rather have the fatty version and sort it out in my overall calories.

Helman's light mayo (if that's available where you are) is yummy.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Depends what it is and what I'm using it for. The extra light is not. Low fat dairy is usually fine - the cottage cheese, yoghurt, milk - and it's not got any weird processing in it to make it low fat.

Some low fat foods seem to be full of nasties though, and I won't buy those. If they're having to do strange processing to get fats out of food it's not worth it. And low fat cheese for cooking (cheddar) isn't good. It doesn't melt right. I'd rather have the fatty version and sort it out in my overall calories.

Helman's light mayo (if that's available where you are) is yummy.

Sums it up nicely! :flowerforyou: (except I don't eat mayonnaise :sick: )