I have 400 some calories left... should I have a half a brow

Options
I have lost 10 lbs so far and feel like I'm doing a lot better then all my other attempts to lose weight..BUT, I am having a hard time staying away from my chocolate cravings at night! Like today for example I have about 400 calories left after all my meals. Is it ok to have that half of a brownie with a small cup of 2% milk I am craving? It will still bring me under the 400 calories???? Ugh! My cravings are sooo bad!

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My feeling is that MFP isn't so much a traditional diet but a way to relearn how to eat to be healthy. Part of relearning, in my opinion, is that we need to recognize that things like brownies are treats, not to be eaten every night, but definitely to be eaten on occasion. If I wanted a brownie, I'd have it, even if it put me over my calories for the day. Since you'll be well under, I wouldn't even think twice.

Remember, this is about choices and about the long term. Denying ourselves is good if we're in the habit of overdoing. But, denying ourselves just because something isn't the healthiest is setting ourselves up for failure.

So, grab a brownie, sit yourself down at the table with your glass of milk, and relish each and every mouthful. Just don't do it every day and you'll be fine.
  • briehill
    Options
    I'd say yes. If you don't give into your cravings you may find you wind up eating more of it then you would otherwise. As long as you're taking into account the calories I don't see why not.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    My question is what foods you are eating that are causing that large craving.
  • cindy0716
    cindy0716 Posts: 135
    Options
    I would do it. Better to go ahead and get a little something of what you want; or else you'll keep craving and then go overboard.
  • shi85
    shi85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it was me, yes I would go ahead and eat it. I know I need my sweets every now and then.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I say yes! The only way I survive this healthy lifestyle is by allowing myself a treat sometimes. It has to be give and take. Have th treat tonight, workout a bit harder tomorrow.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    if you're able to work in your cravings into your healthy lifestyle, I say go for it.
  • AshleyNicole8686
    AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I am craving chocolate I will have a fiber plus granola bar or a chocolate rice cake or my favorite 1 60 cal. chocolate jello mixed with one 10 cal. strawberry jello with just a bit of redi-whip light! It is a big dessert and under 100 cal. Good luck!
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I recommend any Skinny Cow -- they are chocolate and are low in calories -- fixes me everytime that I have a craving -- sometimes I have 2 bars, and it is only 200 calories !!! As long as you stay under your calorie intake -- but watch your sugar intake !!

10344221.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Like most of the things here, you shouldn't have to deprive yourself. Can you fit a small bit of chocolate into your daily goals without making your craving worse?

I kept trying to avoid chocolate for the same reason, but then I kept craving it more and more. When I read that the fats in dark chocolate are actually good for you, I started including chocolate in my daily calorie count. Once I did that, my craving for chocolate and sweets decreased sharply.

Some people crave things more if they get a little. But if you think that satisfying your craving within your calorie count would help curb your cravings, I'd say don't deprive yourself. Have that half brownie and be sure to allot calories to chocolate on a regular basis (dark chocolate, of course, is best--but if you can fit it in, have what you love). The way to stick to a new lifestyle permanently is to make it liveable, not miserable.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you completely deprive yourself of everything you love, then you'll lose it one day and totally binge. Let yourself have a reward now and then. Don't diet... learn to eat in moderation and balance in all things and you will be successful. Have your treat, and enjoy it. :)
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Its ok to do that, but sometimes these cravings can take over. Why don't you have some low fat chocolate yoghurt or weight watchers bar most of them are under 100 calories and that could help with your cravings. My cravings are crisps and I tend to have weight watchers but one a week I will have a normal bag of crisps just for a treat but this is including in my calories.

Hope that helps:bigsmile:
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yes eat the brownie!! There will be days that you don't have 400 cals to spare and you won't feel so deprived if you know that the days you do have the calories available you get to enjoy them!! =)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Just eat the brownie. Diet foods aren't any better for your health than the real thing and the real thing is going to taste much better.
  • yary317
    yary317 Posts: 32
    Options
    Fiber one - 90 calorie brownie is a good option.
  • goddesshanna
    goddesshanna Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with chocolate... I think you can literally be addicted to it. I second the skinny cow stuff. also, go dark, you will need less to fill that craving.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it. Learn to enjoy small controlled splurges on foods you love, and you won't end up with huge, uncontrolled binges later.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate every evening. :blushing:
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have not had a brownie in almost two years...I'm vegan and most brownies are made with eggs...I treat myself to a block of high quality dark chocolate and that keeps my little treat under 100 calories and still satisfies my chocolate craving (plus the dose of antioxidants from the dark chocolate).

Can you just eat half the brownie since all you really want it the taste- 200 cals.
  • bethtamburri
    Options
    eat what you crave, in moderation never deprive yourself. and most of the time "diet" food is higher in sodium or sugar same with non-fat low-fat. rewards are nice once in a while