Dont believe the Fitness equipment

Options
Dont believe the Fitness equipment in most gyms..my gym has life fitness machines and for the last week or so I have pleased when after entering all my details , age, weight etc etc it said after the workout I had burnt 740 calories.........however my Ki Fit I got today or Bodybugg as it is called in the u.s.a which takes 1000 of measurements and is accurate up to 10% said I had burnt 437.......

What a difference because if I had entered the gym machines read out I would have eaten back my calories and maybe on some days actually eaten more calories than I should have done !:sad:

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Dont believe the Fitness equipment in most gyms..my gym has life fitness machines and for the last week or so I have pleased when after entering all my details , age, weight etc etc it said after the workout I had burnt 740 calories.........however my Ki Fit I got today or Bodybugg as it is called in the u.s.a which takes 1000 of measurements and is accurate up to 10% said I had burnt 437.......

What a difference because if I had entered the gym machines read out I would have eaten back my calories and maybe on some days actually eaten more calories than I should have done !:sad:
    Absolutely true. Because machines at the gym are consistently used by different people, weight, and fitness levels, the calibrations can be skewed. RARELY are the calibrations reset and done. So don't be fooled by that number on the machine.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The treadmills at my gym ask for weight and then calculate calories burned. The treadmills readings are very close to MFPs when I enter the info here. They both may be off but I've found that it simplifies my life greatly to just go with it. I'm still losing weight and I'm not driving myself crazy worrying about it.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    They worked, and still do for me and the same with the MFP database; so I agree with the above post. I lost all the weight, kept it off for over 9 months and I don't add extra worries to my life.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    The treadmills at my gym ask for weight and then calculate calories burned. The treadmills readings are very close to MFPs when I enter the info here. They both may be off but I've found that it simplifies my life greatly to just go with it. I'm still losing weight and I'm not driving myself crazy worrying about it.

This is me also
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I would ONLY use a bodybugg for accuracy! I find any machine i use at the gym to be way higher then the actual burn!
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It is important I feel when some people eat back their calories which could lead to weight loss stopping due to inaccurate readings......it might after a while if no weight loss has been achieved be the trigger that stops people from carrying on.

What would be a better idea is to try and use the same machine and use its readings as a marker and then try and improve calories burnt every week etc from the reading of that machine