I may of hit a plato

Options
I've lost 41 pounds since I started in May. I think I may of hit a plato. I can't seem to lose weight for the last 3 weeks. I was under my calorie count by 800 to a 1000 calories after I exercise for about 700 to 1000 calories per day 5 days a week. 3 weeks ago I didn't lose any weight during my weekly weigh-in, so, I tried eating more of my calories the next week (only 200 to 300 under my calories) and the loss was minimal. Not sure what to do now. I would appreciate any Ideas you might have. Since May I have been under my calories everyday (except one day). I have also lowered my sodium intake. Yet for the last 3 weeks I have not lost any weight. I'm stumped and discouraged.

Replies

• YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    What did you hit poor Plato with?
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Curses! You stole my joke.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

LOL!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Last time I was at the carnival, I hit a "plato" with a "beisbol" and won a prize!

No, but seriously... here's a great blog post about beating a plateau: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Also, try the search function. There's losts of info already out there that should be of benefit to you. Best of luck!
  • suespottsfletcher
    Options
    I wish I could help! I am in the exact same boat. I never eat my exercise calories and I go under 1200. I just bumped up to 1350 but I am afraid I will "unleash the beast".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I've lost 41 pounds since I started in May. I think I may of hit a plato. I can't seem to lose weight for the last 3 weeks. I was under my calorie count by 800 to a 1000 calories after I exercise for about 700 to 1000 calories per day 5 days a week. 3 weeks ago I didn't lose any weight during my weekly weigh-in, so, I tried eating more of my calories the next week (only 200 to 300 under my calories) and the loss was minimal. Not sure what to do now. I would appreciate any Ideas you might have. Since May I have been under my calories everyday (except one day). I have also lowered my sodium intake. Yet for the last 3 weeks I have not lost any weight. I'm stumped and discouraged.
    It's a stall. A plateau is usually 6 weeks or more of no weight loss if you're being consistent. Eat more and change your workouts. Are they cardio only?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

You shouldn't be under your calorie goal, you should be meeting your goal.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I hit plateaus at 40 and 90 lbs loss for about 3 weeks each time. I just kept plugging away at it, increased my exercise slightly , and then had a big drop afterwards. I average about a 10 lb loss per month and have lost over 120 lbs so far
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help! I am in the exact same boat. I never eat my exercise calories and I go under 1200. I just bumped up to 1350 but I am afraid I will "unleash the beast".
    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is called insanity. Your body is smarter than you are, so eat back your exercise calories.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Awe! They took my Plato joke. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't beat up long since dead blind epic greek poets...It's not nice. Even if you aren't a fan of their prose ;).
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    Curses! You stole my joke.
    I only clicked on this thread to see if someone had already made this joke! You both beat me to it.
    As for the OP, just as others have said. Eat more, there is already a deficit built in to your calorie goal when you set it up.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Isnt Plato an old greek philosopher? So, is he ok?

I think its a ciy in Missourri as well.................
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Ok, all joking aside..lol,

Plateau, are you losing anything at all? Have you taken measurements? Have you changed up your exercise routines? Body will set up a memory and cause no change..so you may need to confuse it with a different routine..do you have a switch up of Cardio and strength training?
  • sadlazarus
    Options
    Gentle ribbing from the spelling police aside, as far as I can tell the advice tends toward just keep plugging at it and you will overcome your plateau, but you will have to just tough it out. The next most popular thing seems to be that you change it up, vary your diet and change your exercise regimen, but keep your calorie counts within usual tolerance. And the third most popular suggestion is zig-zagging your calories, but I don't know what you'll find works for you.

You've done so well. Don't stop now, and don't start looking backwards. Be patient with yourself, you'll be grand in time.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    May have not may of.

Plato was an misogynist anyway.

Also, keep going, it happens. Fiddle around with your calories and exercise. It is a thing that happens to everyone.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I recently plateaued for a full month. I went back into MFP and adjusted my goal from losing 1 lb a week to half a pound - increased my daily calories from 1200 to 1390. Within a week and a half, I had lost 3 pounds. You may just want to play around like that and see what works for you.

Good luck!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Gentle ribbing from the spelling police aside...
    That gentle ribbing is for your pleasure.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I always try to change things up when I'm in your situation. More calories and different workouts. That's my philosophy, anyway.
  • bomomar
    bomomar Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I spelled it plateau I got no response... funny with a little misspeealleeng I actually got some responses... Funny stuff and some good stuff too.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    danaplato.jpg
    I think you may have done more than hit her. She's dead. :frown: