In a funk? Look at the big picture!

Options
Sometimes I feel like I'm not doing as much exercise as I *should* be doing. And while that may be true, I also tend to downplay/forget to appreciate and be proud of what I AM doing. I mean, it's about a bajillion more workouts than what I used to do, sitting on the couch in my "stretchy pants" eating Taco Bell while watching Jillian scream at her latest victim on "The Biggest Loser."

I was in one of those "I'm just dragging my feet with this" moods in recent weeks. But then I had to add up my exercise minutes from the last three months for our wellness program at work. I worked out more than 59 hours these past three months! And the month with the most exercise minutes? August, when I was on vacation for two weeks (all that beach walking helped me not gain a pound -- 1,793 exercise minutes that month).

I never used the MFP reports feature before, but I'm going to use it more now. It allows you to look at calories burned or exercise minutes over a period of time (up to three months). You can also get long-term reports on food stats.

So if you're in a funk, look at the big picture and compare it to where you used to be. It helped to perk me up -- which is great as I'm heading into at least two weeks of doc-ordered no strenuous exercise while I recover from surgery. Could I step it up a little? Sure, when the doc says it's OK. Do I want to get rid of these last, stubborn 5 pounds? Of course, but I'll get there if I keep working at it. That's the biggest lesson I've learned in all this.

But, wow, I've come a long way since March! I bet if you do the math or check out an MFP report on your progress, you'll be impressed with yourself too! :happy:

Replies