What gives?

pam0206
pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
edited September 18 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been working hard this week to get in a physical activity every day (treadmill, going for walk with baby in stroller, washing car and cleaning house). I've also been careful to watch my calories and not go over my limit......For all of my attention, I've been rewarded with a 1/2 lb GAIN. What's the explanation? I know some weeks are up and some are down, but geesh....the down weeks are hard. Any ideas?

Replies

• pam0206
    I have been working hard this week to get in a physical activity every day (treadmill, going for walk with baby in stroller, washing car and cleaning house). I've also been careful to watch my calories and not go over my limit......For all of my attention, I've been rewarded with a 1/2 lb GAIN. What's the explanation? I know some weeks are up and some are down, but geesh....the down weeks are hard. Any ideas?
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    It could be muscle mass gain???
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Um...hate to be personal, but you're a woman...women tend to retain water around pms times...lol sooo could it be that?? lol:happy:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Muscle weighs more than fat. The good thing is that it also takes more calories to maintain muscle. My tip is to not weigh yourself very often and go by the inches you lose.
  • That is why I don't weigh myself every week once a month. I have been working out 5 days a week. And I know if I get on the scale my weigh will be a little higher or lower. But I wait a weigh myself once a month I will be happier. Plus it is how you feel not what the scale says epecially in the begin. Keepn doing what you are doing and you will see the peeling off. Good luck:smile::smile:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,699 Member
    Pam0206,
    I am having the same problem. I worked my rear off this week and ate healthier and I only feel like I am getting bigger. Even my measurements have been going up. It's very frustrating. I bet one day, though, it will start falling off faster than we expected. It may just take some time to get there. Hang in there! Don't give up!
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Everybody is different in how it works and adapts to a new lifestyle of healthy eating and living. Some more quickly drop fat, some more quickly convert to muscle - which weighs more. Stay on the program and it will work out. I would be more concerned if you were a slump where nothing was happening. In that case you have to jolt your system with a whole new workout routine or switch up the food. For instance, I changed from having a carb kind-of breakfast to a protien breakfast (eggs now instead of cereal) and it seems to have 'reved' up my metabolism.

Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Muscle. I was the same way. It is frustrating. I did a challenge that Banks put up some time ago, it was to go a month, I believe, without going on a scale. I still do that to this day.
    You will notice the inches falling off. Just be patient and remember some weight gain is good weight gain.
  • pam0206
    Thanks, everybody. I must believe that it is working....I just finished my run for today.....Gonna hang in the best I can. :wink:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Your body will do weird things as you change it. Don't get frustrated. I had a period where my bust and thighs got smaller and my waist and hips got bigger, just what I wanted...lol. 1/2 # here and there will soon be no big deal. Just focus on doing what you need to do and remember that now that you are getting fit your body will make odd adjustments to all the new food and activity!
This discussion has been closed.