cardio when you hate running

Options
and well elliptical is tolerable but barely. I discovered swimming and LOVE it but it is murder on my hair and cant get a cap right now. Any other ideas?

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Just plain old walking or bike riding.

I am loving my kettlebell routines!
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    i do step aerobics if i dont jog or walk. I love it
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Walking at a brisk pace is a pretty good substitute for a slow jog, especially if you live near some hills.

Circuit training is a GREAT way to do cardio and strength training at the same time. Just search "circuit training" on YouTube, and you'll come up with lots of great videos to get you started. Even better, it can be done in your living room in case of rain.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Zumba or an aerobics type class?
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try TurboFire. Great workout, lots of sweat, music and motivation.
  • tressa967
    Options
    your hair will be fine if your swimming if you go and get a chlorine treatment every couple months. believe me, i am a lifeguard and i am in the water everyday and after the treatments my hair is fine, swim caps also let water in sometimes as well.
    I say if you enjoy swimming, DO IT!! it's so good on the joints
  • slickracer
    Options
    Bike riding....especially outside....way more fun than a spin class for me. Some love the spin class though.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    walk in the pool ~ amazing workout & you won't get your hair wet! It is easier on your joints than running while getting a great workout!! :flowerforyou:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i love riding my bike outdoors. love it. as opposed to running, i can go much further and for much longer, and without the stress that running can put on your body.

and one day it was a little to rainy for a ride, so i said "eff it" and i just put on a ballcap and tied up my sneakers and decided to go for a run. i figured at the most i'll go for ten minutes. but because of the weight i had lost and the cardio strength i built from cycling, i was able to run for 30. now i try and go for a run once a week.
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do interval running. 2 minutes walking at 4.5mph and 2 minutes running at 6mph. It is challenging enough, keeps my heart rate up, and makes the time fly. I do that for a total of 35 minutes which works out to 3 miles. I run on a treadmill with Netflix on my iPhone. I think of it as a guilty pleasure!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    spin, cycling, SUP, ballroom / latin / belly / ballet / tap / polynesian / contra / or any kind of dance, roller blading, roller skating, skateboarding, skiing, horseback riding, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, etc.

blessings.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    ^where do you find someone to teach SUP? I would love to surf but no longer live near the ocean- but do live by a lot of lakes! Been wanting to try this!

I second circuit training, get it all done in one go. But really, I hated running too but eased myself into it and now I crave it. You get used to it and you can do it anywhere. Nothin' wrong with swimming though!

I want to get some ice skates when winter comes and toodle around on them. Maybe try that, surfing, rock climbing...? Get creative!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Walk on a treadmill with the incline jacked up as high as it can go.

I also do an interval program thats on the elliptical and it makes it a lot more fun.

I hate running too and these are my go to cardio options.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you like swimming, then swim. Their are ways of dealing with the chlorine. Ask around with the lifeguards and competitive swimmers in your area for tips.
  • MuseumOfAsh
    Options
    walk in the pool ~ amazing workout & you won't get your hair wet! It is easier on your joints than running while getting a great workout!! :flowerforyou:

Ooh, I love that idea!
  • AlynLeigh
    AlynLeigh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Zumba is supper fun (even if you cant dance... i should know ^_^), Walking on a treadmill on an incline is great, and then maybe cycling...
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    try a spinning class :smile:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    ^where do you find someone to teach SUP? I would love to surf but no longer live near the ocean- but do live by a lot of lakes! Been wanting to try this!

I second circuit training, get it all done in one go. But really, I hated running too but eased myself into it and now I crave it. You get used to it and you can do it anywhere. Nothin' wrong with swimming though!

I want to get some ice skates when winter comes and toodle around on them. Maybe try that, surfing, rock climbing...? Get creative!

It's not hard to learn -- I would google to see if anyone has rentals near the lakes. Out here we have several rental places and classes for SUP yoga, SUP/land fitness, etc. Once you get the hang of it you'll be hooked - - fantastic core and upper body workout too -- my back is ripped from SUPing!

Edit: SUP is actually a much better burn than surfing :)
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    Well, depending on what your cardio goals are, brisk walking is a great exercise. I started just walking a little to get my sorry butt off the sofa. And I liked it. And I got better. And I sped up. Now I do 5k's with a couple of running clubs, and my pace is a smidge faster than 15 min/mile. Feels great, no pain/injuries, burns calories, and I never have to "make myself" do it like I always used to with running.

As I've improved, my heart rate has gone down, but its still elevated and I work up a decent sweat.

I also _LOVE_ swimming, but I hate having to plan my schedule around limited pool hours and share the lane. Maybe when I get that beach house....
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Walk on a treadmill with the incline jacked up as high as it can go.

I also do an interval program thats on the elliptical and it makes it a lot more fun.

I hate running too and these are my go to cardio options.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of interval program do you do on the elliptical? I work out at home and the only machine I have is an elliptical. I'd like to do HIIT on it but not exactly sure how to go about it.