random question

Options
MissMollieK
MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
do you purchase items kids sell at houses for fund-raising? I had about 10 kids come to my house within an hour selling for the same thing....I don't want to give their school my paycheck....what to do? I feel bad saying no.

Replies

• JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    I usually give to one a small amount but then if somone comes after that I tell them that Timmy just stopped by sorry. Then I watch them fight over territory. Just kidding
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I say no or I just bought from another kid (in your case.)
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I feel kind of bad when I have to say no too. But honestly, I don't have the extra money to be buying that stuff & sometimes I think it's too expensive. I barely buy anything when my own kids are doing fundraising.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I say no and I don't feel bad. It's not like it's going to the kid or will even be spend on his/her education.

Last year when my daughter started kindergarten, her school required that each kid bring in 6 bottles of glue and 6 boxes of crayons (among other things). Then at the end of the year donated all the "unused supplies" to some foreign "hard-up" South American Country.
    Really? That's why we were required to buy so many supplies? So they could send it to a different country? That really irked me.

So no. I no longer participate in school fundraisers.
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i don't even buy the stuff from my own kids school...unless they are selling chocolate bars...you know the really big ones that are melt in your mouth really good with the almonds??!!
    my daughter's schools have told the kids NOT to go door to door...
    the school demands so much extra $$ aside from the fundraising it gets a little ridiculous...from field trips at least once a month, milk orders, pizza orders, popcorn days...it goes on and on.
    i don't feel guilty
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    Oh! AND last week each kid in my daughter's class was required to pay $10.50 to go on a field trip to a FREE apple farm. You CANNOT tell me that gas for the bus ride across town and a few apples cost $10.50 x 24 kids = $252. Bullsh*t.

So yeah.... sore subject.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i always say that one of their friends had just passed by and i bought yesterday.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i hate kids, and typically either ignore the door or open it with my most stranger disliking dog.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    dont answer the door :P
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Oh! AND last week each kid in my daughter's class was required to pay $10.50 to go on a field trip to a FREE apple farm. You CANNOT tell me that gas for the bus ride across town and a few apples cost $10.50 x 24 kids = $252. Bullsh*t.

try $14.50 to go to the same freeking place i had to pay for twice last year. really? how many times can one kid learn about the local weeds/plant life and go on a nature hike?? she doesn't even like dirt
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options

try $14.50 to go to the same freeking place i had to pay for twice last year. really? how many times can one kid learn about the local weeds/plant life and go on a nature hike?? she doesn't even like dirt

I'd really like to know who's pocket the field trip and fundraising money goes into... it obviously doesn't go to buy crayons or glue.
  • MissMollieK
    Options
    the money probably goes to the education union and who knows what other things they use with the money
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    do you purchase items kids sell at houses for fund-raising? I had about 10 kids come to my house within an hour selling for the same thing....I don't want to give their school my paycheck....what to do? I feel bad saying no.

I always give because these are neighbourhood kids .. and we very seldom have repeats. But .. there is numerous tables and booths set up at any given grocery store looking to raise money for kids sports activities .. or various charities. Some I give to .. some I don't...some I explain I have already donated. I know what it's like to try to raise money for a worthy cause, because I often get invovled with selling raffle tickets to help raise funds for my 'pet' causes like the Cancer society and local animal shelters.

If you get repeats, and feel you have given enough .. Simply explain that you have already donated and leave it that.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    dont answer the door :P

Yeah that's pretty much it!
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Ya know.. I've tried to be nice and just buy from my family and the kids next door... but half the time I NEVER see the stuff! Like months later, I'll be like - hey didn't I order a card holder or something from so-and-so? Therefore, yeah - I'll be the one saying sorry I just bought tons of stuff from my nieces!
  • MissMollieK
    Options
    a friend of mine made me laugh and said he is going to give his daughter an even bigger incentive / prize than the school offers if she "doesn't " go and sell the products. I think that's so funny!