How much weight should I lose a week?

Options
I am asking this because while I've only been doing this for 5 days now, but (and I couldn't help myself here) I got on my scales today and it says I lost between 4-5 pounds (I don't have digital scales). I was told that losing too much weight each week is bad; but I remember when I did weight watchers 2 years ago, one week I'd lose 2, the next week 6, the following week 3, then .2, back up to 2.6... I never gained when I did it, but I never lost an average of 2 pounds a week, I fluctuated everywhere.
I'm supposed to be eating 1660 calories a day and I'm lucky if I'm eating 1200 (before my exercise adds calories). I usually burn between 250-450 calories during my walks, depending on how long I walk for on the treadmill. I have done a little weight lifting but nothing great; I've been sticking mostly to the treadmill. I don't see how I'm doing anything wrong, but I want to do this right, without hurting myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    You will lose a lot of water weight when you first start
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Setting your goals based on weight you need to lose:

75lbs or more: Choose to lose 2lbs/week
    40-75 pounds: Choose to lose 1.5lbs/week
    25-40 pounds: Choose to lose 1lb/week
    15-20 pounds: Choose either 1/2lb or 1lb
    Less than 15/20 pounds: choose 1/2 lb/week
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Just make sure your feeling well and eating enough! Great job!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    1-2lbs is healthy. Losing slower is OK, but trying for more can be very unhealthy.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about fluctuations each week, I think that's just normal.
    But, do eat more... eating under 1200 when you are exercising is just not necessary and not healthy if you keep doing it for a long period of time.
    I have been so pleasantly surprised to learn that I DON'T have to starve or even eat a very little quantity of food and I have lost weight without it being too difficult.
    Losing 1 pound a week is healthy and sustainable, if you settle down to this amount after the first few weeks you should be very happy :)