Meeting with Trainer: Goals?

Options
I have a meeting with a trainer tomorrow morning at my gym. I was told to bring questions about equipment, exercises, and nutrition. I can think up a few questions but the real issue I wanted to bring up is this. The trainer wants to help me build a general plan on how to achieve my goal.

What the heck is my goal?

I still want to lose about 13 lbs (total vanity there, I'm healthy weight right now)
I want to 'tone up' (that will simply happen over time, is that really a goal?)

I guess I would like to take some inches off my hips? I don't even know! How to create a goal? Any suggestions?

Ps. A friend told me a good goal is 'happy, healthy, and hot'. That is excellent but very vague... how do I know when I am hot? :laugh: I guess I figure the goal should be something easily measured.

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    what are some examples of your goals? maybe I can use them as a guide for my own?
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My goal is to do 10 'real' pushups. I'm still only on the wall ones at the moment! Maybe you can set something like that - especially if you don't have a specific weight or body shape goal...
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If I did it over again, I would simply say I want to be taught proper form for squatting a barbell, deadlifting a barbell, presses. And to be shown how to work toward full pushups, dips and pullups if you can't already. If I have to start with body weight or dumbbells for the barbell exercises, fine, but barbell with proper form is the goal.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    you said you want to tone up...maybe a certain body fat %?
  • sarah44254
    Options
    If I did it over again, I would simply say I want to be taught proper form for squatting a barbell, deadlifting a barbell, presses. And to be shown how to work toward full pushups, dips and pullups if you can't already. If I have to start with body weight or dumbbells for the barbell exercises, fine, but barbell with proper form is the goal.

that is really great - I have been admiring the deadlifters for a bit now, wondering how I can squeeze into that area of working out. I am so frightened I will hurt myself somehow, so I haven't tried it. That is definitely a great goal!

I cannot do many pushups, dips, or situps and I cannot do any pullups at all. Great stuff to set as goals thank you!
  • sarah44254
    Options
    you said you want to tone up...maybe a certain body fat %?

I wonder if it is ok to have more than one goal, I would love a lower body fat %! I wonder what a good one to aim for is?

I am at 26% BF now at 140 lbs
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I looked at your profile page and it looks like you've got some goals laid out there already--be more muscular, have a midsection like your Cosplay character (not sure if I phrased that right but I know what you mean lol)...those are some great starting goals.

I wanted to become a runner, so my first fitness goals outside of "just" losing weight were to run for 5 minutes straight, then a mile, then 2 miles, and so on...every time I reach a goal I try to come up with another step to take me in the right direction...

I think you should bring your trainer your initial ideas and they should be able to help with making them more specific, like the person above me who said their goal was to do more pushups...if you tell your trainer you'd like to build muscle, they should be able to translate that to: doing a certain exercise at a certain weight or level x number of times...and so on...

good luck!
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    If the goal is something that can be measured, typically that should be your actual measurements, no?

As an already lean person (albeit 'skinny fat') back in Feb, I hired a trainer for eight sessions.I told the trainer I wanted more tone, and she basically took me around the weight and machines, some free weights, and showed me other balance exercises to do. She would also offer suggestions on when I did cardio without her - making sure that I burn at least 10 cals / minute. We never went over nutrition, but that is something you may want to talk about. Given what you said, I think that is a perfectly fine goal that the trainer will understand - tone/definition and losing those last few pounds. They hear that enough to know what you mean :)

If I were to offer one suggestion, it would be to hire a trainer for at *least* five sessions in order to show you everything that you can use around the gym, show you proper technique and get you started on the correct weights (pounds you are lifting).

Good luck and have fun!!!
  • sarah44254
    Options
    haha, wow! It has been a while since I updated that section of my profile page! thank you for noticing that :) I had forgotten
  • sarah44254
    Options
    If the goal is something that can be measured, typically that should be your actual measurements, no?

As an already lean person (albeit 'skinny fat') back in Feb, I hired a trainer for eight sessions.I told the trainer I wanted more tone, and she basically took me around the weight and machines, some free weights, and showed me other balance exercises to do. She would also offer suggestions on when I did cardio without her - making sure that I burn at least 10 cals / minute. We never went over nutrition, but that is something you may want to talk about. Given what you said, I think that is a perfectly fine goal that the trainer will understand - tone/definition and losing those last few pounds. They hear that enough to know what you mean :)

If I were to offer one suggestion, it would be to hire a trainer for at *least* five sessions in order to show you everything that you can use around the gym, show you proper technique and get you started on the correct weights (pounds you are lifting).

Good luck and have fun!!!

Thank you very much :D Even going to the gym is barely in my budget, so I can't really consider hiring a trainer right now. They offer this one meeting as a free gift for joining though, so I'm glad to get this. They mentioned the meeting is at least 45 mins, and can go for over an hour. So hopefully they will fill me with knowledge! :glasses:
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Technique is a major thing. I agree with the other posters about that. Also, try asking for a few different workouts so you can change it up every once in a while. I like doing arm day and leg day doing a few different core exercises each time, but I like to substitute some exercises for others every now and then to change things up. My trainer did an initial fitness assessment to see where I was at before he set me up with a plan and based on my performances in those we tweaked my goals. I definitely need to increase flexibility, balance, and just simply lose weight. Maybe your trainer does something to test you out for strengths and weaknesses, and help you from there along with some of your concerns and goals.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    My current fitness goals include:

~to lose 14.8lbs
    ~to get to 18% body fat or less
    ~to tone my tummy, thighs, and arms
    ~to eventually be able to run for a WHOLE "mud run" without walking
    ~to complete a mini triatholon
    ~to have a resting HR range 50-60bpm

oh and ps....smart friend you got there:wink: and pss...you know you're hot when you FEEL hot!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You said you want inches off your hips-tell that to the trainer. Also, proper technique is a biggie. If you need help with nutrition tell them that. They should be telling you about your BMI and BF%, what is normal for you and may be suggest ways to improve.If you want to tone up, you should tel them that. Good luck!