My "FRIEND" is a pain

On any diet I go on the same thing happens.....
I do GREAT for the first 3 weeks and then BAM.....my "friend" is coming and screws me all up.
I then (stupidly) go on the scale and see the scale jump up a few numbers. Then I get discouraged and decided to forget the whole diet thing, eat like a pig and give up!!!
I hid the scale during this diet ..of course I know where it is, but I hid it where its kind of a pain to take it out. :tongue:
Any other women deal with this??

Replies

• nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    On any diet I go on the same thing happens.....
    I do GREAT for the first 3 weeks and then BAM.....my "friend" is coming and screws me all up.
    I then (stupidly) go on the scale and see the scale jump up a few numbers. Then I get discouraged and decided to forget the whole diet thing, eat like a pig and give up!!!
    I hid the scale during this diet ..of course I know where it is, but I hid it where its kind of a pain to take it out. :tongue:
    Any other women deal with this??
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Yep, ME! I get super hungry that *time* of the month as well...want to snack all day long!
    I think this time I am going to SKIP the weigh in that week, so not to get dissapointed and discouraged and make sure I have LOTS of veggies on hand when the snacking monster comes!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Absolutely. My big problem is I want to eat everything in sight for a week before and a week after. Second problem I get to hurting so I don't want to continue to do the healthy things. I trudge on anyway. Not always doing the right thing but I do try to do better than I would otherwise. Most weeks I think I do a fair job.

Keep your head up and remember it passes. Drink extra water. I know that someone on here suggested taking a multi vitamin to help your body get the extra nutrients it is craving. You might think about that also if you don't already.

Good luck.
  • I think we all go through that situation and it is a downer unless you think of it as this:

As long as you do not give into temptation of junk during the hungry times and just continue to eat but make smarter food choices (calcium chews are great for chocolate cravings) and then knowing in your mind the reason the scale is jumping a few pounds just think once the bloating etc. is gone if you continued to stay on your good streak the scale will eventually drop like 5 pounds overnight.

Putting the scale away is a great idea for that time, if you can handle not knowing for a whole week, lol

I am going through that right now, This is only my first week here and the first 5 days I dropped one pound a day pretty much and now I am up 1.5. I know it has to be getting close to my friends visit so I am not sweating it cause I know that I am going to continue doing great and getting in my cardio every day and looking forward to getting on that scale again in the next days and loosing 5 pounds overnight, so good luck to you all......
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    I try to do more stretching,
    I have found that the exercise I do previous to my visit, makes the visit shorter, and not as painful.
    I have the spicy/salty/sweet affliction that comes with it. so, I plan on having those things in the house.
    I use the good old merangue tip. I bake up a batch of sweet ones and a batch of the spicy ones. and I just much on those when I need to. make them bite size, its easier. I dip celery in salsa add peppers to my other foods, and bake my apples with splenda and sugar free honey. for my sweets. I try never to eat empty calories. and it doesn't always work, but these hints might help some.
  • girlaskew12
    girlaskew12 Posts: 14 Member
    I know what you mean, my problem is when I feel that gross, I don't want to work out. But, I have found that stretching and moving around helps deal with the pain and such (for me at least).

I agree with making smart choices. If you are really craving chocolate, try a piece of really good dark chocolate like Godiva. It's good for your heart, and you'll really enjoy the chocolate.

And, if you slip and snack away on something, try to remember that it's not the end of the world. Nobody is perfect and everybody slips. Just start again the next day and don't beat yourself up, or you'll feel even worse and want to eat more.
  • Also there is another post that gives a link to an article about WHY THE SCALE LIES

Here is a bit from that article:

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.
  • mrsjo79
    mrsjo79 Posts: 123
    It happened this morning, cuz my husband knows how discouraged I get he took the scale to work with him:laugh:
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets discouraged when its that time of the month. I always start a new diet when its that time of the month because i feel so bloated, and then i stop when its not that time of the month. But this time WILL be different.
    Last sunday I started that 3 hour diet, and yesterday I decided that it was ridiculous, because I cant stop at the busy times at work to eat ,so i decided to count calories. I really hope this works for me. I need to make a huge change.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    MrsJo....that man is a keeper!!!:flowerforyou:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    <quote> cuz my husband knows how discouraged I get he took the scale to work with him </quote>

LMAO that's awesome! :laugh:
  • mrsjo79
    mrsjo79 Posts: 123
    :bigsmile:
  • i started trying to lose weight this past week, and OF COURSE it is the week before my period. all i want to do is eat, but i have been pretty good and working out alot. but i haven't lost a thing yet because i am retaining so much water ( i think i even gained a little mid week!). its so frustrating because some of the girls i work with started their diets this past week too and they have all lost weight so far! and they aren't even working out yet! grr to periods! :mad: i know i just need to get through this pms week and it will get better. you just get discouraged when you know you are working so hard with no results on the scale.
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Why do people call it my friend, I call it the curse. I feel bloated, crampy, and starved. But the week after I have no appetite, have to force myself to eat, not good either. No happy medium YESH!:ohwell:
  • I have to admit...I totally gave-in to my munchies this week and boy did I PIG OUT! I'm usually OUT OF CONTROL with the eating one week out of the month.

The only difference this time...I went to the gym a second time and worked off all that crap I ate. I still managed to lose a pound this week.....but going to the gym AGAIN really sucked.

I think next month I'm going to try to keep the snacking to a minimum and regain control of myself. :wink:

Good luck!
  • This is from the Women's Health magazine website:

Q I'm dieting, but I get ravenous before my period. Do I really need more fuel at this time?

A No. But indulging your cravings may make you feel better. Levels of serotonin (the brain chemical associated with feelings of contentedness and relaxation) are lower right before your period, and eating sweet and starchy carbs (like chocolate or oatmeal cookies) can bring them back up, easing moodiness and irritability. Don't deprive yourself -- just stick to one 150-calorie serving of your favorite treat per day.

Answer supplied by "Weight Loss & Nutrition Expert" Lisa Drayer, R.D., a registered dietician with a practice in New York City and former director of nutrition and editorial services for DietWatch.com, a weight-management website, so I guess she knows what she's talking about!

Jen