Major NSV, a little sad.

Options
ahsongbird
ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
My NSV is a little different than most. A little back story , I started MFP Feb of 2010 and by November 2010 had lost about 60 lbs, I'm 5'1 and my starting weight was around 205 I ended up at about 145. Unfortunately my father started getting very sick very fast so all winter me and my family took turns taking care of him and I stopped thinking about my weight, my father was admitted to a V.A. hospital in another city (where we stayed in hotels and ate like crap to be near him ) because he was diagnose with squamouse cell cancer and they had to remove a tumor , he was extremely malnourished by then and unfortunately lost his struggle to recover on June 24th so by then I had gained about 15 lbs back. After this happened I felt selfish for thinking of my weight when I should be mourning this great loss so I just stopped thinking about it . Now comes my NSV, I was at my mothers house about a month ago sitting with my sister and her boyfriend when we started teasing him about a tiny little pudge he was getting on his tummy ( my whole family is big so it really was just teasing) well he looked at meand said "I know u ain't talking, looks like u've put on a few lbs too" which was fine , I took it as the joke it was meant to be but then my sister said, " please, don't listen to him you did great, wish I could lose half of what you lost!" Thats what got to me... I started thinking "why is she saying it like I'm done?" I realized I was getting complacent, if i was at a healthy weight that might be fine but I'm not and I hated the thought of my sisters thinking that I was going to stop just because I lost some weight, my whole point was to get HEALTHY not just drop some lbs! My sisters look up to me for what I've done so far and I could not bare to think they thought I had given up! So my NSV is , I've remembered why I was doing this in the first place and I am back in the game! I no longer believe I am selfish for wanting to do this, I'm not just doing it for me I am doing it for my whole family and I am doing it to make my dad proud, I know he's rooting for me in heaven and I thank him every day.

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    thats great!!! Good LUCK!!!! I am so sorry for your loss, but he is definitely rooting you on!!!
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Wow. You sound like an amazing person and your family is lucky to have you. Good luck on the rest of your journey to a healthier you. I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Wow. I liked your story. I think it's great that what your sister said got you thinking and pushed you to get back in the game. Big wishes for much success! :flowerforyou:
  • tanyar23
    tanyar23 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I commend you on your decision to make healthy choices for yourself. Welcome back!
  • slippymcgee
    Options
    A great reminder...thanks for your heartfelt words. Best of luck to you .
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Way to get back on track, good luck to you!
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This story hit home quite hard. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, do your Dad proud and live your life to the fullest. You got this.
  • ahsongbird
    Options
    thank you all, it has been very difficult just putting one foot in front of the other each day , but I am now able to accept what has happened and continue living my life the way I should. The belief that my father is still with me is a great motivator, I want to show him what I am capable of and for him to know that he is my inspiration.
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful outlook to have and I am sure your father is smiling big about you remembering to take care of you..good job and keep up that good work!
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This story hit home quite hard. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, do your Dad proud and be proud of yourself. Live your life to the fullest. You got this.
  • IMDABOMBthe0wife0DABEAST
    Options
    Your father will always be rooting for you. I know my father is up in heaven with yours rooting us both on. My father unfortunatly did not get to see me start this journey, but I know he is proud of me no matter if I succeed or fail. Beleive in yourself that you can continue this journey. Take each day 1 day at a time.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Aww. That's so inspiring on so many levels. You and your family have really gone through a lot recently, so lots and lots of kudos and hugs to you for coming back and getting in the game. I didn't know him, but I bet your dad would be proud. :)
  • ahsongbird
    Options
    It has been extremely hard on me bc this is the first loss of a loved one I've ever experienced, I never would have been able to imagine how wrong life feels after someone you love is no longer living, thankfully I've found peace although I do still mourn the loss of his physical presence often.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    very nice NSV! you've got the right mindset...its about being healthy and not simply losing some weight. good luck to you and I'm sorry about your loss.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!