Losing Motivation

Options
Hello,

I have been dieting hard since the 02.01.2009 so just over 2 weeks. I have been swimming for 30 minutes everyday and the gym at the weekend. I have cut out all my sweets anf fizzy drinks which are all things i have never done before and i still have not lost a thing i have kept going with it hoping to lose a bit more but i am really getting unmotivated.

Any Advice?

Samantha

Replies

• s115k119
    Options
    Hello,

I have been dieting hard since the 02.01.2009 so just over 2 weeks. I have been swimming for 30 minutes everyday and the gym at the weekend. I have cut out all my sweets anf fizzy drinks which are all things i have never done before and i still have not lost a thing i have kept going with it hoping to lose a bit more but i am really getting unmotivated.

Any Advice?

Samantha
  • jree435
    jree435 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sweetheart ,don't be so hard on yourself it's only been 2 weeks.

Cutting out sweets and fizzy drinks is admirable and a really great start to a healthy life as is exercising everyday. What I will tell you, and most other ppl on this site will tell you is to find something you can stick with for the rest of your life. This is not just about being on one of those ads where you can say you lost 20 pounds in 15 days. This is about making a healthy life change. When you find something you can stick with everyday you won't be watching the scale every 60 seconds and you'll realize this is a process. Yes for some of us it's slower than others but it's still a process. None of us became unhealthy in 15 minutes and we won't fix the problem or the mindset that fast either.

Be Encouraged!! Keep going, you can do this!!! The decision to live healthy and lose weight along the is one of the best decisions you've ever made. You will reach your goal and you'll be FABULOUS!!! Not becuase you'll be thin but becuase you'll be heathier and happier and that's what counts
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged!

Chances are it took you longer to get where you are now than two weeks... so give yourself a break (mentally)! It will take time to lose the weight. On the bright side, people who cut out processed white sugar from their diets and who exercise regularly are statistically less stressed, happier, more productive people. You also are doing wonders for your immune and digestive systems, not to mention your skin will be healthier without all of that junk in it. Your heart is happier!

My advice. Commit to this "new you" for six weeks and don't get on the scale at all. Let the other benefits of changing yourself be the motivation... weight loss can be deceiving and while the weight will come off (it has to), sometimes your body needs time to adjust.

Don't give up!!! :heart:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    And the MFP family is here to help!
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you having each day?
    Are you eating all or most of your exercise calories?
    Are you drinking plenty of water?

Take care, hope things perk up for you soon, hang in there, I know it's hard, but you will get there :flowerforyou:
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    don't let yourself get discouraged, you are on your way to a healthier lifestyle, not just a smaller dress size!! Have you been taking your measurements?? Swimming is a killer exercise for both cardio and strength training, it is possible you are losing fat while building lean muscle...and since muscle weighs more than fat you could essentially be getting a lot smaller in size but the scale is still evening out to same 'ole number. Give yourself credit for what you have accomplished, the weight loss will come. Stay positive and keep your chin up! YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Okay...slowly step away from the scale. Bad scale, bad scale!!!!

Okay, now that we have given it a good thrashing, let's do a check-up. How do you feel? Have you noticed that your energy might be increasing a little more? Are you doing maybe your laps a tad bit quicker? How about those inches? Used a measuring tape lately? Maybe those jeans are just a tiny bit looser?

You're doing great. Nothing good for you comes easy. But it will come for you. Patience, patience, perseverance, and a little more patience. I too am frustrated with my weight loss (or lack there of), but am monitoring more now my endurance, strength, and closely watching my eating. I'll revisit the weight issue in a couple more weeks when I consistently feel good about my progress. Trust me, people will see a difference long before you will. Even if it is more energy, or a glow after exercise.

Don't stop. Keep going!!! You're worth it.

1984.gif
  • KatieEppers
    KatieEppers Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I agree with all that everyone has written. Don't be discouraged, it will come. However, I will mention this, if you continue to exercise regularly, eat better, and sleep better and see no benefits, i.e. looser jeans, number on scale, muscle definition. You may want to see a doc about a thyroid condition. It isn't always the case, but it is a possibility. Lord knows when I haven't seen the scale move I have prayed for it to be thyroid related so that I wouldn't feel like such a failure. But what I know now and you need to know is this: if you are sticking to a plan to reach your goals and making healthier choices, you ARE NOT FAILING I don't care what that dumb ole scale says. We, the MFP community, are here for you. Don't give up, you can do it!
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Any Advice?

Samantha

It took a month and two weeks before I started losing any weight. Hang in there. sometimes it takes awhile?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    dont get discouraged its easy to throw in the towel- just remember the weight didn't come on in two weeks so its not going to come off in that time either- Just keep up with your calorie deficit and workouts- its all about time so stay committed.
  • thennig
    thennig Posts: 16
    Options
    I am feeling the same way except I actually lost but then gained again, I was done. Then my husband who is not dieting basically eating anything he wants weighed him self this morning and lost weigt I was so mad I just screamed I have been busting my butt. Any how I did my measurments and lost inches so hopefully you are keeping track of that. And sometimes it just takes a little while for your metabolizim to catch up and work properly. So don't give up Im not as much as I want to, it will come and nothing feels better then a new pair of skinny jeans. Best of luck
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same way except I actually lost but then gained again, I was done. Then my husband who is not dieting basically eating anything he wants weighed him self this morning and lost weigt I was so mad I just screamed I have been busting my butt. Any how I did my measurments and lost inches so hopefully you are keeping track of that. And sometimes it just takes a little while for your metabolizim to catch up and work properly. So don't give up Im not as much as I want to, it will come and nothing feels better then a new pair of skinny jeans. Best of luck

i understand completely how you feel my husband can sneeze and drop weight but just how bad I want to lose weight he wants to gain it so we are struggling in our own way.

I know that inches matter but I want to see pounds come off the damn scale-