Bathroom Issues!

Options
Not my favourite topic to post about but hope someone reads this!

Since I went very low carb I'm having difficulties going to the bathroom frequently (and I don't mean for a wee!) and finding I end up having to take Dulcolax every 2-3 days as my stomach starts going hard and swelling and feeling very uncomfortable.

I took oats for breakfast they used to work I used to regularly go after breakfast.. have some banana's arriving later with food shop which also used to work but maybe it was just cos I was regularly eating more carbs before?

Other than allowing oats and Rice Krispies for breakfast.. lunch and dinner comprises of salad, veg, fish, or meat... I allow Gluten Free bread once a week and also have eggs for protein (twice a week).. I snack on melon slices and have some snack-a-jack rice cakes too but don't haven't actually had rice, potatoes, pasta with meals for over a week now.

I'm keen to get out of the habit of needing Dulcolax to go to the bathroom but what other fruits or vegs will help me with this that are low carb?

Thanks

Replies

• awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    low carb yogurt! and maybe just start taking a probiotic supplement. Also adding Fiber to your water your drinking might help as well.
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I was recently havin this problem. I added fiber, I love waffles for breakfast and I found + fiber (choclate chip), I also bought Fiber One bars. The day after eating both, I went on my own. The week before I had to take something because I was bloated and felt the way you do. Good Luck. Try fiber and don't forget your water.
  • mummyv811
    mummyv811 Posts: 237
    Options
    There is always prunes, dates or figs. Apples help me too. I don't know how high they are in carbs but at least they are a natural way to ease the blockage.

Also, drink plenty of water as that can really help. I used to suffer A LOT when I was a teenager and I've found that just drinking more water and eating at regular times really helped.

I hope this helps and that you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Love celery, other plants provide roughage too but celery is my favourite.
  • pez1234
    pez1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No bulk!!! You can try adding some psyllium husks or similar natural fibre supplement taken with a couple of glasses of water.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I would definitely quit taking laxatives immediately. Better a little discomfort than a messed up system! Just keep in mind that you don't NEED to go everyday. Most people think they do and the psychological part plays a great role in the discomfort they're feeling.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I eat weetabix every morning with added wheat bran (take a look at my diary) with warm milk and it gets mushed up to form a sort of porridge.

Ive had this ever since I was little and I have no issues going the loo!
  • julzmm
    julzmm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Beetroot is good for going lol. Not pickled, just boiled, you just have to not worry when everything starts going a bit red lol, its just the beetroot colour!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Pitted dates.
  • Lorraineh13
    Options
    Try a scant dessertspoon of LSA on your cereal ... add 4 prunes ... and drink about 8 glasses of water a day ... that should fix it. Also a cup of hot water instead of tea / coffee as an extra. Good luck. Not a nice problem to have.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Plums, and grapes are great for helping you go. Ever think of drinking coffee to help with your problem??? It helps me stay regular. :)
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars get me going in hours, and miralax is so much better for you. your body absorbs it and gets things going naturally not the crampy gotta run kind. I work in surgery and my daughter has colon issues and takes it weekly to keep things moving for her. She never has that "oh god" feeling of other types of meds. Not that taking meds to go is good but if you must that one is the best to take. Try benefiber. you can put it in warm, cold food, drinks and you never know it. for real. I slip in my kids mash potato and other foods and they have not a clue.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Thanks for ideas.. problem is I need to go.. as I'm sat all day in a L shape in the chair it gets really uncomfortable and painful and if I can't sit up in chair I can't do anything or go anywhere!

I've no idea what LSA is (US thing?) or what are these fibre things you mention to add to water?

Waffles sound great unfortunately I'm going Gluten free but may consider adding a baked potato or something to see if that makes me go .. would adding small portion of potato or rice once a week help me with going? (can't add wheat back) Coffee is out unfortunately I've never been able to stand the smell of it in the house or the taste. I do like plums though.. not had them for ages.. was considering trying mangoes but didn't know if I'd like them.. do they taste similar to peaches or something? Dates and figs I've never been keen on!

I have some gluten free bread but I don't know if that will have the same effect as regular bread if eaten more reguarly?

I'll check out the link and see if it mentions anything I have in house.. Ive just done my food shop which arrives this lunch time (get everything delivered) unfortunately I don't have apples this time.. just bananas.. but will be adding some of these suggestions to my next shop.

Thanks
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Bananas are supposed to cause constipation in babies, so avoid them. (I love them, but they can be bad.)
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Not enough fiber, Lovey... Also - bananas are quite "binding," as my Grammah would have said. You haven't mentioned if you are taking any supplements. Tryptophan can cause problems, coconut water (recommended for hypolycemia) can cause problems. Finally, you may actually have IBS. There is a wonderful website www.helpforibs.com. You can purchase acacia powder there, which is much much better than those horrible OTC remedies. So sorry you are suffering.... Hope you feel better soon!
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello i would say fruit is going to be your best bet but if you dont eat much you could try healthspan a uk company. they do fibre in a powdered form you add it to water and it helps, also you could consider a probiotic or prebiotic help keep you gut happy try a tablet or capsule the yogurty drinks dont tend to survive your stomach to reach the intestines. i think if you can increase your carbs do so we do need some carbs in our diets. i hope you get some relief soon x
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem you did. The thing that works for me is I put 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed in a cup of yogurt every day. It is low carb and loaded with lots of good things like Omega3 fatty acids and FIBER. It's also a natural anti-inflammatory. I eat beans every so often too and the fiber in the beans does the same thing.
    Good luck to you!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Fish oil helped me. Not only does it help make things...easier...I'm raising my healthy cholesterol too!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm not on any supplements only medication.. Thyroxine for under active thyroid from birth - its never worked, and Loratadine (clarityn) for reducing allergic reactions. My immune system has been affected by my illness and had developed allergies to stuff I had eaten previously before so its entirely possible thats whats happened with the wheat gluten.

I do have Rice Krispies, also Oats for breakfast and snack-a-jack rice cakes. I was trying to lower over all carbs to drop a stone, then re-introduce them back into my diet more often like potatoes etc. I haven't decided yet whether to re-introduce normal bread or stay on gluten free.

Only thing I have ate since starting that contains flour is a mini yorkshire pudding with sunday dinner and replaced the potatoes with swede mash.

After taking 4 months to lose 9lbs I was quite amazed to lose 5lbs in first week of going gluten free/low carb.. so was hoping to keep that loss up for another few weeks or months so I can drop to about 10 and half before xmas. then was planning to re-introduce potatoes/rice etc once a week so didn't lose last stone too fast and got chance to tone tummy up a bit and not left with lots of saggy skin.