Fiber Supplements...Which is best?

Options
I am looking for a fiber supplement to incorporate into my daily diet. I have tried going the natural route by eating plenty of fruits and veggies to obtain my daily fiber, but my digestive system just seems to move very slowly. Lately, I have been using a laxative, caffeine-free tea, but it tends to cause cramping. I am going to try Benefiber today, but I would like to know if there are better alternatives out there or if Benefiber will be my best bet. Thanks!

Replies

• a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Aren't Flax Seeds supposed to help with that?
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I use benefibre and find it great as you can just add it to drinks or sauces and you dont really know it is there
    and when I have a real problem I take ortisan fruit and fibre cubes as they are gentle and I dont get cramps with those

interesting question I am looking forward to seeing what others take
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Fitness Fiber by Optimum Nutrition. Unflavored, 6 fiber sources and mixes clean.
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    im using fybogel- orange flavour powder that gets thick if u dont drink it in literally two seconds. its not great tasting but it works i think.

glad this was posted because im looking for a tasteless alternative that wont irritate my irritabke bowel syndrome (i think i need soluble fibre, not insoluble).
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Citrucel powder mixed with water is doctor recommended when my husband had digestive problems. It comes orange flavored and tastes like Tang. I think they may have a sugar free version too. It's better than Metamucil because it doesn't give you gas.
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Pure Psyllium Husks are great nothing added so all good worth a try i used these and they help i no longer take this but i do take a 20 million probiotic everyday and never have an issue
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Citrucel powder mixed with water is doctor recommended when my husband had digestive problems. It comes orange flavored and tastes like Tang. I think they may have a sugar free version too. It's better than Metamucil because it doesn't give you gas.

I use the store brand knock off of this (the sugar free one). I started using it about 3 months ago and it has really helped regulate....... everything.
  • elizahbeth
    Options
    Barley bread and flax seeds do it for me! plus apples, peaches and plenty of cabbage, broccoli, well, just lots of veggies!

Food is more natural; the exact amount of water with the fiber,plus other nutrients are right in the foods.
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use benefiber. I have 2 sticks a day in my bottle of water and its working awesome so far:-)
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Flax seed is my favorite. Adds, fiber, protein and fats. Tastes great as well.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Whats your water intake like? That would be the first thing to look at. 64oz is ok, but it is the minimum recommended. I do at least double that. I also try to incorporate a fiberone bar into my snacks. It works wonders!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Metamucil or Benefiber every day as directed. Straight from the mouth of my 'family' gastroenterologist (aka my dad). These products aren't meant for short term relief, they are meant as a supplement to take everyday.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I also go with Psyllium Husks in capsule form along with a multivitamin tablet
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Metamucil capsules since they contain psyllium. This not only boosts fiber, it helps with cholesterol control.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I use the generic of Citrucel. I get it at walmart. It doesn't constipate me like Metamucil.
  • eme31386
    eme31386 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try the Benefiber a little longer and up my water intake...all of your advice was great!
  • trac30
    trac30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I buy the fiber gummies from Target. Works great and tastes like candy!