raw salmon?

Options
I love raw salmon in sushi etc and don't really like it cooked, I bought some fresh from the supermarket fishmongers and froze it, it's now defrosted and waiting to be eaten, can I eat it raw?

I know raw fish often has parasites in it, but there seems to be a general consensus on the interwebs that freezing it is enough to kill them off?

Thoughts? Really wanna eat it raw xD

Replies

• almille
    almille Posts: 89
    Options
    I really wouldn't eat raw fish unless you bought it as 'sashimi grade' from a really good source- not usually a supermarket. Besides, freezing usually messes with the texture a bit and makes it not as good raw. I'd suggest looking up a new recipe and trying it rare. However, I doubt it would kill you, so go ahead if you want.
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, however you could eat raw smoked salmon? this is one of my many many vices
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt eat it raw once you have frozen it. It needs to be really fresh to eat raw so from a good fishmonger who knwos the source and how fresh it is etc
  • chocoholicandbaby
    chocoholicandbaby Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with whats been said.

The salmon that you eat raw in a restaurant is of a certain quality (sashimi) and is VERY fresh.
    I wouldn't eat the salmon raw from a supermarket as they are often sent to the supermarket frozen and defrosted there - so there is no guarantee about how fresh it is, or what the quality is. And then you have bought it frozen it and defrosted it again so I would recommend not eating it raw.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I live right next to the sea/rivers so the salmon is deffo fresh, ad it's not "supermarket sushi", there's a fishmongers inside the supermarket xD

Should have mentioned that
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating sushi alltogether after reading a New York Times article about all the parasites you get from it. The only thing that kills parasites is heat, because they go dormant in the cold. Liver flukes? ugh. Nothing is too good to risk getting those!

The thing about parasites is they are not easy to get rid of. Modern medicine only knows how to get rid of only a few of them.
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    I would only eat it if you ask them about it first. They dealing with fish would be a better source for you to find out. I love sushi and if the place has a good rep the fish should be fine. But ask them what you asked us they may suggest a different cut. Some sushi is frozen prior to help keep it fresh (saw that on how its made). Def. ask the fish guys they would be a better source
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Raw fish is ok, if you are getting good quality. Most sushi places get pretty high quality sushi, so those are fine, also places like costco sell salmon that can be eaten raw aswell, which is pretty good too
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You can google this. I know that if you freeze the fish below a certain temperature for a certain number of days, it's considered safe. You'll have to look up the specific numbers.