Don't think I am eating enought to lose?

Options
2»

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I was moaning about exactly this to my boyfriend this morning. He advised that I should be keeping my heart rate at a certain level for fat burning when I exersize, The calculation is 225 minus your age and then 65% of that figure will be the exersize heart rate you should maintain.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this...?

The "fat burning zone" is an out of date idea that is has pretty much been dis-proven. Yes, you burn more "fat" when you exercise at that level but what is more important is over calorie deficit, so over all calories burned, and high intensity exercise = more calories burned.

Right-o.

Heck, the greatest percentage of fat utilization comes when we're resting... so why not rest our ways to leaner physiques?

:p
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us think we're being lazy, that we should be doing more, more, more, when we rest for a day. It's really as important as exercise!

I'll echo what they all said. Eat more... your deficit is too much for the small amount of weight you want to lose. When I started eating more (netting 1500, usually eating a total of 1800-2000 with exercise calories), my energy level skyrocketed, I felt happier, and everything got easier. I was able to do pushups from toes instead of from knees, crunches were easier, lifting was easier, running was faster. My "weight loss" was slower, as it should be, but my body composition improved so much that the scale didn't matter.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    thanks all! Have changed my daily intake to 1500 net. Am ill at the mo so have had 2 days off the exercise and will just go for a walk tomorrow instead of the gym. Will see what happens in the next month :-)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I thought i should listen to others on here so i overly enjoyed eating my exercise calories back. Scale did not move.

I realized it didnt make sense, so i stopped eating my exercise calories and did a challenge to burn 3500 cals a week and the scale is dropping....well, until the weekend comes lol.

I also changed my needs to lose .5 lbs a week instead of 1, so i guess some could say im eating the exercise cals back, but i burn about 600 a day..so not really :)
  • Jhanahan
    Options
    You are right, you should intake more, but there is one other thing to think about. You have to change things up. Change what you eat and the exercises that you do. The body has a great memory and it learns how to work at the most efficiant rate. If you stay in the same pattern all the time you will not see the same results --- Oh yeah and eat!!!!!!!!!