Emotional Eater

Options
I am a single mom of a wonderful and very active 2 year old little boy. I have been divorced almost a year and have not yet been able to get my emotional eating under control. At night once my son is in bed is when it seems that I decide I have had a hard day and money it tight and I am doing this all by myself and the only comfort I find is food. I have tried getting busy and doing things around the house, reading or doing a craft but nothing keeps my mind off food and how much better it will make me feel. HELP any suggestions!!

Replies

• heart30
    Options
    I am a single mom of a wonderful and very active 2 year old little boy. I have been divorced almost a year and have not yet been able to get my emotional eating under control. At night once my son is in bed is when it seems that I decide I have had a hard day and money it tight and I am doing this all by myself and the only comfort I find is food. I have tried getting busy and doing things around the house, reading or doing a craft but nothing keeps my mind off food and how much better it will make me feel. HELP any suggestions!!
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Hello Heat, i know it's tough... i am a huge emotional eater... one of the things that has helped me is writing down how i feel after EVERY time i eat. i know you're a mommy, and you're busy, but just taking a few minutes after every meal to figure out the emotion and motivation behind you eating will be a big help. you should look at ly blog: www.foodaddict.ca...

i still find myself emotionally eating, but if i acknowledge the triggers, it prevents binge eating and i can plan out what i am going to eat that will be comforting, like homemade turkey meat loaf with skim milk mashed potatoes and steamed carrots. still comfort food, but healthy and not eaten on a whim... if you need any other tips, just ask!
  • abetterme
    abetterme Posts: 393
    Options
    I am not sure what more addvice to give you, it sounds like you are tyring your best. The only other thing I could think of is get on MFP and talk out your feelings of what is bugging you at the time. There are a lot of us here dealing with emotional eating. I have trouble late in the afternoon when the majority of the family goes out the door to start chores (we dairy farm) and I am still in the house, I keep telling myself I should just go out with them and get my stuff started but instead I sit inside and try and find something to eat when I shouldn't. I am not sure I was any help but wanted to let you know you aren't alone.

Hope you have a good day:flowerforyou:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of emotional eating too...I only buy in healthy foods now, I still have sweet things in the house, but ONLY sugar free ones - that way, if I binge, it's no where near as bad as if I'd had full fat foods.
    ellelit made a good point abotu the journal, I keep one too - but only for 'bad' days, I don't want to be accountable for eating something healthy, so if I'm having a terrible day and feel the urge, or have already raided the cupboards, I simply write down what the trigger was, what I did about it, whether there was a better way of reacting, or even if I didn't binge, I'd write that down - and why I didn't - works for me.
    Hope you find what works for you too :flowerforyou: