Hi all! newbie here

Options
Hello everybody!
I'm glad I fell across this site, which was suggested on a cycling forum. I have *never* been fit.

My overall goal is to just to be fit for my age (57 years now). I will try to drop to 185 lb, the suggested BMI , then *gain* weight by muscle toning. Not ripped, just protect my aging joints and have a better cardiovascular system. Pretty late in life to start getting fit, but WTH.

Big goal:
for next summer,
1) to bicycle 100 kilometers (62 miles) in one day, a "metric century" ride
2) then 100 miles in 1 day, a "century" ride

I have never gone more than 25 miles. I ride a recumbent trike; it feels great - but - now I see how far out of shape I am. (sigh)

if anyone is getting fit for cycling, I could sure use the encouragement!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Slow and steady and you will keep it off forever. :flowerforyou:
  • mysticalboe
    Options
    Hang in there and keep riding. I'm a cyclist and absolutely love it. I completed my second metric century this past August for the American Diabetes Association. Last year we actually ended up riding 72 miles; this year it was 65 miles. It's a great sport and great exercise.
  • Vic303
    Vic303 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ukaryote, you can do a metric! That's my favorite distance, btw. I haven't worked up to it this year, after a 7yr layoff from the bikes, but I did a half-metric C, by accident on laborday... :eeek: I took a wrong turn....and ended up with 33miles!

See if you can find some organized rides in your area and start signing up. Most nowadays have several distances you can choose from. Start trying some of the longer ones, until you hit your metric C, and then by next spring, I bet you will be ready for an English Century, or 200K brevet...

--Vic303