PCOSers Carb Count

Options
2»

Replies

• katedavies1986
    katedavies1986 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I keep mine under 20grams Monday - Friday then up it at the weekend to allow myself a treat. Works great for me, at least 2lbs a week weight loss and I feel great!! I don't have such bad cramps anymore too. Unfortuanlty my cycle hasn't returned to "normal" yet, but the doc said that can be the PCOS and the dramatic change in diet! Good luck x
  • vault__dweller
    Options
    This took an age to work out/find, but these are the numbers I'll be sticking to:

According to The Dietitian's Guide to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome by Angela Grassi, the % varies somewhat depending on how many calories you are eating.

1200-1400 Calories (23% protein, 40% carb, 37% fat)
    1500-1700 Calories (24% protein, 42% carb, 34% fat)
    1800-2000 Calories (24% protein, 45% carb, 31% fat)

Also, you should be trying to have at least 30g of fibre a day.

Fats should be in the following proportions:

Up to 20% daily calories from monounsaturated
    Up to 10% from polysaturated
    Up to 7% saturated fats
    Eliminate transaturated fats

Try make sure all your grains are wholegrain, and add plenty soy & fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel etc.) to your diet.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    omg this is really difficult. no wonder im not losing weight fast enough my carb intake is through the roof. how do you enjoy eating on such low carbs? I like fruits...
  • daisy_grrl85
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 and had a very similar cycle (period every month and a half to three months). I was never told about the metabolic issues until I was about 24. People with PCOS often have glucose intolerance (sort of pre-diabetes) and can benefit from Metformin (which can also help your cycle, but is bad for fetuses so I think you have to do something else if you are trying to get pregnant). Anyway, I would find a doctor who knows about PCOS (doesn't just want to out you on birth control) and have your blood sugar and thyroid levels checked. I've also read a lot of studies that state women who are overweight and have PCOS have a harder time getting pregnant. There are women who do, but you might need help, and losing weight is a big start. Hope this helps, I wish someone would have told me this when I was diagnosed and not several years later.
  • daisy_grrl85
    Options
    Carbs are essentially sugar. That's why they are they same amount of grams on nutrition labels.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Keto works well for PCOS.

My macro nutrient ratios are 10% carb, 65% fat, and 25% protein.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Keto is said to work wonders for those with PCOS.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 5% carbs, 60% fat, 35% protein since 2012. My PCOS has improved considerably with my diet and medication (Metformin); the last ultrasound showed my ovaries practically frolicking in a meadow. Keto has been a life saver.
  • Rita79
    Rita79 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've noticed a lag in my weight loss so I reduced my carbs to 100 net a day...up to a max of 150 once in awhile. I just started metformin a few weeks ago and just had my dosage increased. Luckily, I have no side affects.

Alot of sites reccommend 50 or less...but I can't do it. It's too low. Maybe 75 is doable so at least you get 25 grams per meal.

Hope that helps

xoxo

Rita
  • kkenney73
    kkenney73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 and had a very similar cycle (period every month and a half to three months). I was never told about the metabolic issues until I was about 24. People with PCOS often have glucose intolerance (sort of pre-diabetes) and can benefit from Metformin (which can also help your cycle, but is bad for fetuses so I think you have to do something else if you are trying to get pregnant). Anyway, I would find a doctor who knows about PCOS (doesn't just want to out you on birth control) and have your blood sugar and thyroid levels checked. I've also read a lot of studies that state women who are overweight and have PCOS have a harder time getting pregnant. There are women who do, but you might need help, and losing weight is a big start. Hope this helps, I wish someone would have told me this when I was diagnosed and not several years later.

You are mis-informed on Metformin. I have PCOS and I am on Metformin and took it through both of my pregnancies. Metformin IS NOT bad for the baby.
  • Everburg16
    Everburg16 Posts: 101
    Options
    I have insulin resistance (and possibly PCOS, but we're working on finding that out). 5 months ago, I started MFP and decided to do 60-70 carbs a day. The past few years, I have had four cycles a year, and most were around 90 days long, certainly nothing close to the average woman's cycle. My last three cycles have been 32 days each, so obviously SOMETHING is working, either my change of carb intake or the loss of weight.

This is working for me, but I think it's relative to the person - maybe 60 carbs won't work for you, maybe 150 will. I've learned that 150-200 maintains for me, and 250-300 gains, even if my calories are around 1200 (which was what my diet was like BEFORE 5 months ago). It's because of the insulin resistance - my cells turn carbs into fat instead of using them for energy, which explains why I gained 10 lbs a year, but barely ate (because what I DID eat was all starches and carbs).

I don't think REALLY low carb works, unless you're willing to do it for the rest of your life. My intake is reasonable for me - you may find another number works for you. :)
  • uchube
    uchube Posts: 44
    Options
    right now I am at 25% Carbs, 25% protein, 50% Fats; before this month I was averaging carbs as 55% of my diet.
    I have not struggled with weight gain until this year; I gained 10+ish pounds in just a few short weeks when studying for an exam. Its All on my stomach. And of course, was accompanied by absent periods for those four months :( I felt crap and thats when I took a hard look at my meals and snacking.

I have been taking Metforming for 4 years which gave me back my periods after a 7 year absence, so I think if I lose the excess lbs everything should return to normal. Fingers crossed. I'll see where I am in a month with this carb % and if I'm still carrying the spare tire with no monthly friend I'll go more toward full ketogenic. I know this isn't a massive weight gain and I'm hopefully catching it early, but I have never been more convinced that high Fat moderate (not high) protein and low carb is the best for me. I feel amazing.

Any and all PCOSers/IRers add me :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40% carbs, and I'm losing, but I'm also on Metformin.
  • uchube
    uchube Posts: 44
    Options
    I have insulin resistance (and possibly PCOS, but we're working on finding that out). 5 months ago, I started MFP and decided to do 60-70 carbs a day. The past few years, I have had four cycles a year, and most were around 90 days long, certainly nothing close to the average woman's cycle. My last three cycles have been 32 days each, so obviously SOMETHING is working, either my change of carb intake or the loss of weight.

This is working for me, but I think it's relative to the person - maybe 60 carbs won't work for you, maybe 150 will. ***** I've learned that 150-200 maintains for me, and 250-300 gains, even if my calories are around 1200 (which was what my diet was like BEFORE 5 months ago).***** It's because of the insulin resistance - my cells turn carbs into fat instead of using them for energy, which explains why I gained 10 lbs a year, but barely ate (because what I DID eat was all starches and carbs).

I don't think REALLY low carb works, unless you're willing to do it for the rest of your life. My intake is reasonable for me - you may find another number works for you. :)

The part I marked with **** - this is me to a TEE! great post! Thank you.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    This is an old post but gonna answer it anyway - I have my macros set to 30% carb (which is about 113 g a day), then 35% each fat and protein. I try to stay under my carbs but I usually went over at 25% so bumped it up. I tend to get most of my carbs from fruits, veggies, nuts and dairy with the rest from occasional grains (which I don't usually miss) and treats (which I refuse to entirely eliminate). I also have bumped my fiber up considerably. MFP had it at 15 and I bumped it to AMA recommendations of 25. So, my net carbs number is usually under 100.My caloric deficit isn't terribly high so my current weight loss rate is slow but I have lost 44 lbs since January 2013 and kept it off. My last annual, my OB/Gyn said my ovaries look so much better than in the past
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17 and all I've really known was that the doctor told me to take birth control (which really has helped tremendously).

So glad I saw this thread. I eat a *ton* of carbs so I'm going to try cutting back and see how I feel....