Replies

• azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    They are sore losers and winners!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - check out your local animal shelters/rescues before purchasing a dog. Our Boston (full bred) is a rescue - someone left him in a garage for about a week. he was about 10 months when we got him, his old owners didn't de-worm him, potty train him - nada.

He's SUPER smart, and was potty trained in less than a week, he knows how to sit, stay, roll over, etc.... He has a crate and loves, loves, LOVES his crate. He'll stay in there with the door open, but he is a dumpster diver so if you're going to leave for more than a couple hours he cannot be trusted to stay out of the trash!

He loves his walks, but does overheat pretty quick so we really keep an eye on him when it's warm outside. If it's super hot, we have a kiddie pool and he LOVES it. He loves bathes and just getting all kinds of love from everyone.

The boston is a bulldog breed so be prepared for a little hard head and mine gets all butt hurt if you scold him. Overall, I like Bostons, but like any other pet be prepared for all the vet visits, food, etc....that comes with owning a pet.

Good luck!
  • PlanetVelma
    Options
    Sorry, had to:

3673623713_e4333fa9ee.jpg

2958176281_1fe6bc7425.jpg

What a CUTIE!!!
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I concur - check your shelters. There are quite a few purebred dogs in them and you might find a little moosh-face that you fall in love with.

As said, Bostons are brachycephalic and while less severe than other breeds, can have numerous complications relating to this, which you've probably read about on Google a million times over.

Can I just say, if you purchase a dog from a breeder, please make sure they are respectable. Preferably with Kennel Club registration, and DEFINITELY with some history of successful pups, that the pups have had their first and probably second vaccinations, genetically test their animals and have had them hip/elbow scored. Meet the parents, check their temperaments, attitude and general health. Ask how many litters they have at the moment and if you can see where they're being raised, see also: check it isn't a puppy mill/irresponsible breeder. Check what food they're being raised on, etc. Puppies are a big, fat commitment and if you can help it you want to avoid getting yourself an unhealthy dog. It is generally heart-breaking all round.
  • modernsoul
    modernsoul Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bostons are the BEST. I have two females and a male BUGG (yes I'm married to TIMMAY). They have the worst farts ever and they are super stubborn but I wouldn't trade them for anything. Check your local area for a Boston rescue. It doesn't happen often but they sometimes have puppies.
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    Bostons are the BEST. I have two females and a male BUGG (yes I'm married to TIMMAY). They have the worst farts ever and they are super stubborn but I wouldn't trade them for anything. Check your local area for a Boston rescue. It doesn't happen often but they sometimes have puppies.

Brechacephalic dogs are the worst for farting!
    My frenchie can clear a room faster than any man! hahah She's such a sweet girl!
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks kacee! He's my little dude.

Timmay & Spouse: Your dogs are super cute :) Our Bugg is fawn colored and gets mistaken for a Frenchie.
  • modernsoul
    Options
    Thanks kacee! He's my little dude.

Timmay & Spouse: Your dogs are super cute :) Our Bugg is fawn colored and gets mistaken for a Frenchie.

I LOVE the fawn BUGGS. They are so cute. Where did you get him?
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    Options
    Once upon a time (2002) my husband & I were living in NYC and we decided it was time for a dog. We really wanted a pug, frenchie or boston. My husband checked craigslist and a breeder from upstate ny had posted. They usually bred all bostons or all pugs but once magickal evening. So we came back to PA where I'm from and met them in Binghamton. We got to meet mama and all the puppies. And there she was wiggling her butt. We flipped her over and she had a white patch on her chest that was shaped like New Jersey where my husband is from so we knew she was the one. We came back over Thanksgiving and got her for good. :)

this was her in the beginning;
    528660273_d90db1a36b_m.jpg

now she's a potato with legs:
    2063516479_d67cdf7c62_m.jpg
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have a Boston that is a little over a year old & my love! She's like my 2nd child, LOL. Boston's are awesome..she's really energetic & loves to cuddle. She definitely needs exercise or she is hyper and you can just tell she needs her outside time..she loves to chase tennis balls, but doesn't like to give them back.

And please, please adopt!! There are so many dogs out there that need loving homes. Puppy mills are horrendous..don't support them!
  • modernsoul
    Options
    Once upon a time (2002) my husband & I were living in NYC and we decided it was time for a dog. We really wanted a pug, frenchie or boston. My husband checked craigslist and a breeder from upstate ny had posted. They usually bred all bostons or all pugs but once magickal evening. So we came back to PA where I'm from and met them in Binghamton. We got to meet mama and all the puppies. And there she was wiggling her butt. We flipped her over and she had a white patch on her chest that was shaped like New Jersey where my husband is from so we knew she was the one. We came back over Thanksgiving and got her for good. :)

this was her in the beginning;
    528660273_d90db1a36b_m.jpg

now she's a potato with legs:
    2063516479_d67cdf7c62_m.jpg

OMG, she's so cute. Do you know there is a yahoo group devoted entirely to Buggs?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I have a boston terror (yes, that's on purpose) and he's the best dog ever! He's super high energy though, so be prepared for a dog that is constantly playing. Bostons also love to burrow and if I leave pants on the floor, he shoves himself into the pant leg and wiggles around like a snake. It's hilarious. He also wraps himself in blankets. He's super friendly and does a happy dance for everyone he meets.

It's very true that they should avoid hot weather. They are not dogs that should ever be kept outside in a yard.

htpp://www.petfinder.com

That's where I found my boston.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you go to a shelter.
    Our first dog was from a shelter and they lied about what kind of dog she was.
    When she grew up she was really threatening and tough to control.

Our last three dogs have been from breeders and they are as sweet as can be.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

Um, wow. There are so many things wrong with this statement. There is no way to predict what a dog you get as a puppy is going to be like personality wise when they're older. You're really blaming a shelter because your dog was hard to control when it grew up? And the shelter lied about the breed? Seriously? It's from a shelter!

Likewise, I don't trust breeders. They're out to make a buck. Most do not care about the health of the breed. In my career as a vet tech, I've basically never had a good experience with a dog breeder.

When adopting a pet from a shelter, you are saving it's life. When buying a dog from a breeder, you are putting money into the pocket of the breeder.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I want my next puppy dog to be a boston. They are so adorable!
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    Options
    modernsoul, I did not know that. Do you have a link to the group?

Adopting rocks. We ended up getting a 6 month old puppy who they told us was Pitt Bull and ? Turns out, she's a whippet/sheltie mix and AWESOME!!!!
  • modernsoul
    Options

Adopting rocks. We ended up getting a 6 month old puppy who they told us was Pitt Bull and ? Turns out, she's a whippet/sheltie mix and AWESOME!!!!

There is a sign-up link on this page:
    http://www.thebugmug.com/
  • modernsoul
    Options

Louie (my bug) and I are the first set of pics on page 15. :happy:
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    Options
    asdfgsadgfasasdhasdh';lasd;kd;askdl;askdl;askdl;kasl;d

SO CUTE!!!!!
  • PlanetVelma
    Options

Um, wow. There are so many things wrong with this statement. There is no way to predict what a dog you get as a puppy is going to be like personality wise when they're older. You're really blaming a shelter because your dog was hard to control when it grew up? And the shelter lied about the breed? Seriously? It's from a shelter!

Likewise, I don't trust breeders. They're out to make a buck. Most do not care about the health of the breed. In my career as a vet tech, I've basically never had a good experience with a dog breeder.

When adopting a pet from a shelter, you are saving it's life. When buying a dog from a breeder, you are putting money into the pocket of the breeder.

There are TONS of full bred dogs in shelters. Since the recession, there have been MANY breeders dumping their puppies @ shelters/rescues because they cannot sell them.

I am sure there are reputable breeders out there, how to find them is beyond me!

Our boston was a rescue and we had no illusions about his behavior. He had horrible manners and zero training - was not potty trained, not fixed, toy/food aggressive....yea he was basically your run of the mill nightmare dog who thought he was a rottweiller in a Boston's body. You know what I did? I spent a great deal of time with him (walks, training, learning to sity/stay/roll over). Heck I still do!

Many shelters are not equipped to make an accurate determination of breed type, many of the people working at my local shelter are volunteers. LOL I would imagine some dogs that are adopted out are very energetic and need tons of discipline/exercise/etc....

And I concur, there is no way to tell if a puppy is going to be a great dog or a challenging dog until it reaches adulthood.

Some people aren't fully equipped/ready to deal with a (shelter) dog who may require lots of attention/discipline and exercise....(??)