Night shifts and eating.

Options
Hello I was wondering if you had a ny advice for me. I work nights a couple of weeks a month I work at the local hospital so Im really busy Just as I would be on a day shift. The first night because I have been up all day then up all night I try to spread my food out through the day. I have tried to sleep in later that first day but I just cant I always wake up early.

What do you recommend for food during the night. I was thinking wholegrain cerials and fruit. I always feel really bloated and quite ill after a stint of nights.

Do you guys have any good ideas or can tell me how you eat when on nights.

Thankyou x

Replies

• tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i have no information about night shifts/night eating etc. but make sure that you are drinking a lot of water during this time, sounds like your body is pretty active and if you are feeling bloated and blah after shifts water will certainly help with that.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Protein helps you stay awake better and longer than caffeine does, so maybe you can have some apple slices with peanut butter or something like that? Or a turkey sandwich, maybe?
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I drink loads but still feel really rubbish after doing them. It might just be I dont get as much sleep during the day and it catches up with me. Thanks for replying x
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    As someone whom works full time night shifts, I would suggest you get yourself some all natural snack bars. I always bring Larabars to work with me. They are so delicious and filling. :)

Crystal
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Im in uk so I will look in my local heath shop for something similar how many cals are they? Thanks lovely people x
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Im in uk so I will look in my local heath shop for something similar how many cals are they? Thanks lovely people x

Most of the Larabars are about 220 calories which isn't too bad considering most of them have no added sugars. :)
  • KellyS0828
    KellyS0828 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do nights in the ER. I usually eat several small meals throughout the day, then take things like yogurt covered raisins and granola bars and lots of water for the night.