The "Other" Fitness Site?

Options
Have any of you come over from the other site? Livestrong? I did and I don't regret it. I didn't like the way one had to log food, plus their forums are brutal. Gods forbid you asked a newbie question. Or else that was my experience.
I enjoy MFP because of the ease of logging: You have a recent foods tab, most used etc. Maybe they did over there and I somehow missed it?
Anyway, your thoughts?

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I am happy here.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    sometimes I use it for recipes, but I like MFP for everything else. Most trainers I know like MFP as well.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I came here from Sparkpeople. It was an okay site, but way to busy for me, personally.
  • Partyofpugs
    Options
    I'm part of a clinical trial and they want us to use this site. I've done WW site and it's slightly easier to use to make recipes, but otherwise similiar.
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Love this site personally.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I found both Livestrong and SparkPeople to be clunky. I didn't like SparkPeople's "range" of calories... Livestrong was just not inviting - or, maybe I wasn't ready when I first started looking at that site... I never really gave it too much of a chance. I do use it sometimes for checking nutrition information and calories burned when I want to take the "median".
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was another site. The last thing I need is another username and pw to keep track of.

I like stability:smile:
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    I came from Livestrong in April. I was using that program from January until April and it totally screwed me up. They had me eating around 900 calories a day! Threw my body into starvation mode and caused some other issues. MFP MUCH MUCH healthier and a better community enviornment too. I would never go back! :)
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I was a member of Sparkpeople before I came to MFP. I like MFP a lot better. I did make an account for Livestrong and never used it. As soon as I got my account set up I deleted it because I didn't like it.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    my experience with livestrong lasted about 5 minutes. if MFP was as tedious as livestrong, my experience here would have lasted about as long. however, MFP has proven awesome when it comes to logging food and I love the forums.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I came from Livestrong in April. I was using that program from January until April and it totally screwed me up. They had me eating around 900 calories a day! Threw my body into starvation mode and caused some other issues. MFP MUCH MUCH healthier and a better community enviornment too. I would never go back! :)
    900 calories? Wow!! Glad you found MFP.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

That's when I defected over too. Actually I resisted MFP cuz I had less calories here than Livestrong, but it was mostly because I didn't know how to set up my profile.
    Definitely a much friendlier group of people here.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    I started logging here because Livestrong became very quirky (logging and posting on the message board wise) but truthfully, I liked running reports over there better. Unless I missed it here, you can run reports of the actual food and nutrition information you ate each day on Livestrong instead of just bar graphs.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Sparkpeople gives you a range of calories and because I love to eat, I was always at the top of my allotment. Which meant that the weight was coming off very slowly.

I belonged to WW before that for about 4 years. I got frustrated because it wouldn't save my food when I put it in. But they did have great recipes.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I love the articles and recipes at SP and LS but otherwise I "live" here :smile:
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple. Never heard of livestrong but I was on FatSecret for a year to track my food and met some great buddies, some of which have moved on over here. I left because everyone was always complaining of how they weren't losing any weight. Tools were not that great, not very technologically savvy but I did learn alot from others. Tried sparkpeople and that was way too busy for me. I stumbled on MFP and have been here for about a month or so. Making awesome new buddies, learning alot and actually starting to lose weight again. I upped my calories as recommended, had a temporary 5 lb gain and now starting to lose again at the rate the site says i will...1.5 last week and 1 already this week. I think this site is working the way it should, it is easy. Sure there are a few enhancements that could be made but these guys are doing it right.....best part, it is free!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I met my homegirl Babs on FatSecret. :D I still use it for food journaling because I like how their food diary works & it's got my history in it. Not interested in transferring all of that over. I much prefer the forums here though because they are organized & moderated, & you can easily comment on your friends' activities in your News Feed.

In the short time I've been here I've been able to connect with a wonderful group of friends as well as search for, participate in, & keep up with discussions on only the specific topics I'm interested in. On FS it's just one giant news feed so I can't avoid all posts about someone's sick cat, or ongoing forum discussions I don't want to see.

I did check out SparkPeople once, but it reeked of MySpace so I never went back.
  • alaskan_blue
    Options
    I've only gone to the Livestrong site for nutrition information and articles. I didn't even know that they had a calorie tracker and forums like MFP. I did use Weight Watchers before I came here and while it's great for some, it just didn't work so well for me. I didn't like paying for something that I knew for a fact I could do on my own. I found MFP by accident when I was checking the iTunes App Store for a free calorie counter and within two days I knew I liked this setup even more than WW, and it was free. I always recommend MFP to anyone I know who wants to start counting calories to maintain or lose weight.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    Over the years I have used Fitday and Spark people.

I started with Fit Day and it was excellent for tracking calories, workouts, etc... but there was no real community feature to it (at least, not 5 years ago, maybe it has changed). I was very new to diet and exercise, and I was looking for a place where I could find like minded people and have some of my questions answered.

I switched to Sparkpeople and loved it. A lot of community involvement, and earning "points" for healthy activities and choices was motivating to me. I left because the community features ended up being too much of the focus. When life got busy and I didn't have time to check in with the "teams" and message boards, I would feel guilty.

MFP seems to be a blend of both, or at least, I am able to use it as such. Some days I just log my exercise and calories and leave it at that. When I have more time, I read and post on the boards.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I met my homegirl Babs on FatSecret. :D I still use it for food journaling because I like how their food diary works & it's got my history in it. Not interested in transferring all of that over. I much prefer the forums here though because they are organized & moderated, & you can easily comment on your friends' activities in your News Feed.

In the short time I've been here I've been able to connect with a wonderful group of friends as well as search for, participate in, & keep up with discussions on only the specific topics I'm interested in. On FS it's just one giant news feed so I can't avoid all posts about someone's sick cat, or ongoing forum discussions I don't want to see.

I did check out SparkPeople once, but it reeked of MySpace so I never went back.

I am so glad you came on over here hun, you have provided me some awesome encouragement thru all kinds of "stuff" this past year. You got me thru some pretty sad times in my life. Thank you for that from the bottom of my heart!