For the men: Compression shorts

Options
Hi guys,

I'm finally throwing away the jocks in favor of compression shorts. I don't know that I wanna spend UnderArmor money, but was wondering if the Champion (or other brands) are just as good. I want something that'll keep me in place (I play a lotta racquetball, and need to stay "locked and loaded"), while not being SO snug that they'll rip from all the running and movement.

Also, I'm 6' tall and about 213 pounds now, but working my way back towards 190. Can anyone who's a similar size tell me what size they wear? I don't wanna go XL and have to maybe pitch them in a few months, but also worry that an L might be so snug that it'll rip easily.

Suggestions, please, for brands and sizing based upon your experience?

Thanks very much!

Replies

• NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy, I do martial arts and used to compete so had to get a groin guard and hated the idea of a strap. Sos I got a pair of shock doctor compression shorts and they tick every box you listed, they are great fit, comfortable and they support everything, and when the cup is in the don't rub or hurt sensitive areas, they are also pretty cheap compared to the leading brands.

As for sizing there is a chart on there website which will show you which sizer to use, I got the XL and have been using them for over a year now with no problems, and thats me also dropping about 30lbs in weight, there very stretchy and return to original shape and size, without bursting or sagging

check there site mate:

http://www.shockdoctor.com/products/compression-shorts.aspx
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I know you said you don't like UA, but their boxer jock is good and reasonably priced. I have a couple pairs of the 9".
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've tried a bunch of different brands and the UA are the only ones that stay in place. They are pricey, but worth it IMO.

FWIW.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I wear ones that Starter makes... they do a good job of keeping everything in place and are pretty cheap from Walmart so if they get too big for you it is not the end of the world to pick up a new pair.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't like UA, but their boxer jock is good and reasonably priced. I have a couple pairs of the 9".

That's what I have, and 1 pair of their compression ones. Both work well and are pretty comfortable.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a pair of compression shorts for the tough mudder and I'm with you. They are extremely comfortable and keep you in place. I purchased a pair of Nike's for the run but also purchased a pair of UnderArmor's since then. I'm 6'2" and 210 and I got a large in both. They are a little tight (not restrictive; just holds things in place) but since I wear another pair of shorts over them they're perfect.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am in similar size, and you are correct, the UA shorts are very expensive! I find the other brands do just as well and help to prevent the "hammock sway." :wink:

I have found that the store brands do not work as well so I will pay for the more expensive as they tend to hold up and last a bit longer.

Jockey brand I like, but they don't last as long. So I stick with my UA and Champion.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I wear a pair of Nike compression shorts while running with a thin layer of shorts over them. I will also wear a pair of Tri shorts without anything over them.

The Nike shorts are expensive, but they last a long time.