How many grams of sugar do you allow yourself?

Options
I'm sure this question is a popular one, but how many grams of sugar do you guys allow yourselves? I've got about 9 lbs left to lose and I'm trying to target an culprits that inhibit my weight loss. I usually go over quite a bit in my sugar intake, the majority being from the three servings or so of fruit that I eat in a day. I have pretty severe food intolerances, two of the worst ones being gluten and soy, so it's very hard to find snack type foods to eat, so I gravitate towards fruit. I commute to school and I can't eat at any restaurants or the cafeteria, so I bring Lara bars with me (one of the only food bars that my intolerances allow me to eat). I've calculated my food up until lunch time today and I'm already at 64 grams of sugar, when MFP wants me to be at 40.

My main question is, do you think my sugar intake is messing up my weight loss? Some people think because it's fruit sugar, it's okay...but is that really true?

Also, does anyone have better snack suggestions? I eat a lot of nuts and I probably can't afford to add any more into my diet (they're in my first snack of the day and in my Lara bar). I need to avoid wheat, corn, soy, and I like to limit the amount of dairy I eat...and it's gotta be something I can eat on the go.

Feel free to examine the good old diary, and thank you for your help!

Replies

• thunt1990
    thunt1990 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine kind of low. My trainer said it can deter weight loss but it is so hard when you eat alot of fruit. He said all sugar turns to glucogen in the body so it doesnt really matter if it comes from fruit or not. Even some vegetables have sugar like bell peppers and carrots. Sugar is a killer! Can you eat more veg for snacks? I like to cut up a bell pepper and have that as a snack.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'd eat more vegetables for snacks, but I'm already averaging about 3 cups a day between lunch and dinner. Too much veggies just makes my tummy hurt :(
  • thunt1990
    thunt1990 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh no well that really stinks! Hmm thats so hard because a lot of food has gluten and soy... What kind of fruit do you eat? My trainer gave me a list of lower sugar fruits with a low glycemic index like blueberries, oranges, apples, strawberries, blackberries, and papaya
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1/2 c of blueberries, a banana, and a small apple each day.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I would not be concerned about sugar from fruit. To maximize weight loss (in your case), I'd try the WW tricks to increase metabolism = track water intake and start drinking your water early in the day and keep protein up. I see your protein numbers going up and down. If you keep them up, I think you'll experience greater success.