Hello!

Hey everyone, my name is Brandi and I have struggled with my weight as long as I can remember. I've always been the bigger girl. About three years ago my son was born 14 weeks premature. This was a very stressful time in my life, but little did I know it was going to get worse. My son was in the hospital for 2 months, and I actually left the hospital smaller than before I got pregnant. I stayed in a guest house in the hospital that was on one end and the NICU where my son was just happened to be on the other end. So I spent a lot of time walking back and forth. When my son was 6 months old, after only being home for three months, we found out that my son had several fractures. We really had no idea, he didn't cry like he was in any kind of pain or anything. But because of all the fractures and the fact that we couldn't explain how they had occurred, our son was placed in foster care, where he stayed for three months. The day they came and took him was the worst day of my life! It was during this time that I gained over 50lbs. I used food as my retreat! My husband and I knew we hadn't done anything to our precious son. We searched for answers anywhere and everywhere we could. We finally got in touch with a doctor in Utah who researched Preemies and their bones. All of our son's records were sent to him, and DHS even sent our son's records to another doctor. Both doctors said the same thing, that they could not rule our the fractures from being caused by some kind of bone disorder, and that it was highly unlikely that he was abused since he was always at the doctor and none of these doctors noticed it. We got our son back three months after he was taken away, in those three months I missed many of my son's first milestones.
My son is absolutely amazing, I'm so thankful that when he is older he will most likely not remember this time in his life. Today my little guy is a very happy and active three year old. I want to loose this weight so that I can keep up with him, and someday be a healthier me so tat I can give him a little brother or sister who has a great chance at being born full-term and healthy!

Replies

• Hey everyone, my name is Brandi and I have struggled with my weight as long as I can remember. I've always been the bigger girl. About three years ago my son was born 14 weeks premature. This was a very stressful time in my life, but little did I know it was going to get worse. My son was in the hospital for 2 months, and I actually left the hospital smaller than before I got pregnant. I stayed in a guest house in the hospital that was on one end and the NICU where my son was just happened to be on the other end. So I spent a lot of time walking back and forth. When my son was 6 months old, after only being home for three months, we found out that my son had several fractures. We really had no idea, he didn't cry like he was in any kind of pain or anything. But because of all the fractures and the fact that we couldn't explain how they had occurred, our son was placed in foster care, where he stayed for three months. The day they came and took him was the worst day of my life! It was during this time that I gained over 50lbs. I used food as my retreat! My husband and I knew we hadn't done anything to our precious son. We searched for answers anywhere and everywhere we could. We finally got in touch with a doctor in Utah who researched Preemies and their bones. All of our son's records were sent to him, and DHS even sent our son's records to another doctor. Both doctors said the same thing, that they could not rule our the fractures from being caused by some kind of bone disorder, and that it was highly unlikely that he was abused since he was always at the doctor and none of these doctors noticed it. We got our son back three months after he was taken away, in those three months I missed many of my son's first milestones.
    My son is absolutely amazing, I'm so thankful that when he is older he will most likely not remember this time in his life. Today my little guy is a very happy and active three year old. I want to loose this weight so that I can keep up with him, and someday be a healthier me so tat I can give him a little brother or sister who has a great chance at being born full-term and healthy!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    OMGoodness you've been through so much! I couldn't even imagine! *hugs* welcome to MFP! I hope you find what you need here to achieve your goals!
  • :flowerforyou: Hello Kadensmom! You have some very serious drama going there with you son, your family and yourself...YIKES! I think I would just shrivel up and crawl into a hole if I had to try and deal with what you must have had to deal with...I can only imagine.

HOWEVER, you are here...and sounds like you are ready to focus on yourself and getting healthy...this is a great website, has good information and best of all a good community of people who all have the same goals of getting healthy and losing weight...

Welcome to the site and hang in there...you are a strong woman...if you made it through your own personal drama...you can do this!
  • Thanks for the warm welcome. I think the tools on this site are just what I need! I usually spend way too much time on the computer anyway, might as well be doing something helpful! I'm excited about this.
  • Hi , My name is Christy, I have lost over 80 lbs in the past 9 months by going to the gym religiously,and i changed everything about the way i eat, my 3rd child just turned one and she is my first girl and it was a rude awaking when i had her,as a girl you are expected to have a certain appearance to uphold and if you don't you get judged and the looks you get hurt,and i don't want my daughter to have to go through that growing up i want her to have the confidence to to succeed at anything she wants to do in life. so i made a huge decision to change everything about our life,my husband weighted almost 500 lbs he is now 332 lbs my oldest son weighted over 100lbs at age 9 he was wearing a size 12 husky now he is under 100 lbs and is in a 10 regular he will be 10 next month we all changed are couch potato lives to very active lives it takes allot of will power and determination to keep it up but it has been worth it,and i wanted to join to to continue to stick with it and hopefully i can help some one with their goals.