Really good non fat breakfast

Options
teridene
teridene Posts: 71 Member
Hello! I live up here in the cold north, (-21 right now) and I love oatmeal for breakfast. I want something hot when I get up. But I was raised that oatmeal is made by making it with whole milk, adding lots and lots of butter and sugar, then making a crust of brown sugar across the top! It was FANTASTIC! :noway: I thought I would never like oatmeal any other way and I do not like the little instant packs becase they raise my blood sugar too much. So anyway below is the way I make it after trying several different things and I thought I would share since its really good. And I no longer add tons of sweet and low! No sugar substitue needed.

1/3 c REAL oatmeal - Quacker or Thick and Rough from Silver Palate
1/3 c skim milk -I don't like oatmeal made with water
2/3 cup water
cook on top of stove or in microwave
Then pour one container of low fat yogurt on the top. I like Cub Foods brand because you get 8 oz. instead of the usual 4oz.

The hot oatmeal with the cold sweet yogurt-very, very pleasing! And oatmeal is back! Kinda of silly but I just thought I would share. Teri

Breakdown:
Calories - 313
Carbs - 48
Fat - 0

And its a lot. The oatmeal with the yogurt fills the bowl. And for all you diabetics, this does not raise my blood sugar. Or at least its in the correct numbers 2 hours after eating. :wink:

120408.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

Replies

• teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello! I live up here in the cold north, (-21 right now) and I love oatmeal for breakfast. I want something hot when I get up. But I was raised that oatmeal is made by making it with whole milk, adding lots and lots of butter and sugar, then making a crust of brown sugar across the top! It was FANTASTIC! :noway: I thought I would never like oatmeal any other way and I do not like the little instant packs becase they raise my blood sugar too much. So anyway below is the way I make it after trying several different things and I thought I would share since its really good. And I no longer add tons of sweet and low! No sugar substitue needed.

1/3 c REAL oatmeal - Quacker or Thick and Rough from Silver Palate
    1/3 c skim milk -I don't like oatmeal made with water
    2/3 cup water
    cook on top of stove or in microwave
    Then pour one container of low fat yogurt on the top. I like Cub Foods brand because you get 8 oz. instead of the usual 4oz.

The hot oatmeal with the cold sweet yogurt-very, very pleasing! And oatmeal is back! Kinda of silly but I just thought I would share. Teri

Breakdown:
    Calories - 313
    Carbs - 48
    Fat - 0

And its a lot. The oatmeal with the yogurt fills the bowl. And for all you diabetics, this does not raise my blood sugar. Or at least its in the correct numbers 2 hours after eating. :wink:

120408.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    You know, I wish I had read this post before eating breakfast this morning. I couldn't decide what to get in the cafeteria today at work (I forgot to pack my breakfast last night). So, I opted for 2 hard cooked eggs, 1/4 c plain ff yogurt, 1/8 c granola, 4 pineapple chunks, and two strawberries. It was VERY good, but yours sounds uniquely delicious!! Thanks! :drinker:

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • abillings9
    Options
    I've never thought of having oatmeal with yogurt! Hmm, I'll have to try it! Thanks for sharing.