Does birth control cause weight gain?

Options

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I don't think pulling out causes weight gain.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Each type of bc effects each body differently. Work with your doctor to find out which method is right for you.
  • much2gain
    Options
    I was on it for about three years and developed blood clots in my legs. I'm not saying you will or would, just something to watch out for. Also, depending on your age and if you want kids in the future, you might consider an Endometrial Ablation. I had it done and my tubes snipped.. BEST think I have EVER done. Check out "novasure" online. (of course, consult your physician, blah blah blah) :)
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    i know lack of certainly does!!!
  • ETC80
    ETC80 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on a few, but it was because my appetite was increased.

Allese works good for me, as far as not increasing my appetite, but everyone's different.

A little weight gain's s till easy to deal with than an unwanted pregnancy...
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    almost always.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I was on depro shot for a year. I gained 20lbs in that year. It did affect my appetite and I gained a lot of water weight. This is how it affected *my* body. My last shot wore off November of 2010 and I started to actually see a difference in the scale January of 2011.
  • alair1980
    alair1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I never gained weight on the Estrogen pill i was on for 10 years, but the Doctor shifted me to a Progesterone pill (Diane) and I gained 15lbs in 3 months!! Funnily enough, I'm off it now.

I think it varies from person to person, but for me the Progesterone definitely increased my weight. Nothing else was different in my life at the point I started that pill (food, exercise stayed the same) but my weight steadily increased.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would check out natural family planning. If you have a regular cycle it works just as well and no side effects. As for the "pulling out lady" it only takes a little whoops and you're pregnant. My cousin and I both have a child to prove it. :) Birth control made me completely ill. Yes that was on the low dose.
  • tpt42087
    tpt42087 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My doc says no, but I beg to differ. I was getting the depo shot and gained about 20 lbs.

My friend was on the shot and gained 60lbs.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    YES YES and YES ! Only the IUD doesn't cause weight gain. The pills, rings, patches, and shots make it harder to control weight. The shot is the worst. I know people that gained over 40 lbs.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Yes, a couple years ago I was on it for about 6 months and was gaining weight even though I was trying to lose weight.. Once I got off of it and got Mirena I was able to lose the weight.... Unfortunately gained back the weight, but that was just due to me and bad habits!
  • tpt42087
    tpt42087 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Im on the pill and have been since MAy and I havent gained weigh but it's a B**h to lose it! At least for me it is I workout 7 days a weeka nd only lose maybe 3-5lbs a month
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    i too think its entirely person dependent. my biggest issue with bc is the mood swings. Depending on which brand and the level of whatever is in it .... my moods go from mild to omg stay away from her.. But most docs are willing to change if for some reason you seem to have an issue with it.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You'll only gain "weight" if you start eating more. It doesn't change your metabolism. However, it COULD increase your appetite so watch what you eat, opt for low GI foods to help keep hunger at bay. You may retain water but its cyclic just as normal, maybe a few lbs around that time. But it's only water. Just keep an eye on body measurements. I was fine on the pill, gained a few lbs initially because I ate more, but then started doing a bit more phys - I wasn't doing nearly enough before and regaining control on my eating - stopped eating so much crap and now I'm back on track.
  • aqua4u75
    Options
    Any doctor I have ever been to has told me to expect some weight gain when taking "the pill" or "the shot". They never really gave me an explanation as to why, but I never really asked either...
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy cause weight gain also....just sayin
  • rachel1496
    Options
    It can for some people. Sometimes it's from increased appetite, sometimes it's just a side effect of changing your hormone levels.

To put it in perspective, I gained about 7-10lbs on the pill. I gained 50+ lbs during my first pregnancy.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Pharmacy major here.

Sprintec, as long as any birth control, or hormone for that matter, can possibly cause weight gain, as well as weight loss. You may want to talk to your doctor about this specifically, there may be a different birth control pill that you may lose weight instead. Really in the end it may cause some weight gain, but with consistant diet and exercise, you can and will still lose weight
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've never gained from the pill. But plenty of women I know gained while on Depo.