Help! Feel like quitting :(

Options
Hi everyone, i haven't posted on here for a while. I'm having a bit of a hard time at the moment, i'm on the third week of my diet, and after loosing 2 lbs, i've now gained it back. I'm so disappointed and feel like it's not even worth trying. I feel so angry that weight just drops off some people and i have to try SO hard. I haven't cheated once, kept within my calorie goal every day. Need some encouragement to keep going :(

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I like to pretend the other joggers are zombies, and they want to eat my brains. Sometimes I get a little carried away, and start hitting them with a bat. But that almost never happens now that I quit jogging with a bat.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    don't quit. just get right back onto the wagon. u could do it. just take it one step at a time
  • liberty741
    liberty741 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hey girl,

don't give up! eating healthy is a lifestyle change, and losing weight doesn't happen over night. i am always up and down on the scale, but the only time we REALLY fail is when we don't try.

i have also been going through a lot lately and it is really making it difficult for me to stay strict and on track. (I need to lose 60 lbs) but quitting only makes me feel WORSE than i already do!

and don't stress over those 2 lbs, you're a woman. we can easily lose/gain 5 lbs depending on our cycle, sodium intake, etc. you will lose them!
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    Options
    One day at a time. Try not to allow yourself to be overwhelmed. It's also wise not to compare yourself with others. You're not in competition with anyone here. Just do your best and if you hit a plateau, try some of the techniques suggested in the message boards for getting past the plateau.

:happy: You can do it!
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It isn't easy but if you are determined you need to be honest with yourself! Master that, then the diet is so much less daunting!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    DON'T QUIT! Losing weight is hard work. I Don't think there is anyone here that would disagree. I have been working at it for almost a year. It's all about finding the right combination of food and exercise.
    Diet is very important, and exercise is essential as well.

Take a look at my blog, it may help with some food choices.

What ever you do, don't give up. Make a change in your life to eat healthy and get regular exercise.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Stop "Dieting"!

Start "Healthier lifestyle"!

It's easier, you don't feel restricted, and have nothing to fall off of!

Ask yourself: could i carry on like this forever if needed? If the answer is no, it's a diet. If it's yes, you've made a lifestyle change.
  • aprilbriann
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel. I've been dealing with the exact same thing. However, I started working out and have gained muscle ( atleast that's what I'm hoping for)!

Ask yourself is it better to continue to eat healthy and lose inches or to just give up? Write down the pros and cons of quitting. It's all too easy to just give up and eat JUNK. You are better than that... your body deserves better than that!

Sometimes it takes awhile for people to see significant change. Keep posting and keep trying and you will get the motivation you need to keep going!!!
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Dont give up!!!! I myself had a moment when I got on the scale this morning....but it was JUST a moment...I went out for a walk/run and cleared my head. Told myself I am working hard, eating right, and making progress. Its not always as quick as I want, but I am going to do this. Remember, you are STRONG and BEAUTIFUL...!!! You can do it!!!! I have tried MANY times and got frustrated, but NOT this time. MFP has really helped keep me motivated. Feel free to friend me if you want.....I will be glad to help encourage you :)
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I like to pretend the other joggers are zombies, and they want to eat my brains. Sometimes I get a little carried away, and start hitting them with a bat. But that almost never happens now that I quit jogging with a bat.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And I thought I was weird... :tongue:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's part of the problem, you need to relax. Sometimes having a super calorific meal once a week is a great thing and helps the weight loss process.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Look at some of the success stories and some people's diaries and see if it helps you. Think measurements.
  • jak111
    jak111 Posts: 36
    Options
    Hey Betty, I have felt like you do the past week. I really wanted to quit. I got really down on myself - because like you said, some people - it just melts off and others like us struggle - it seems like you can really be good, not cheat and you see that one pound, but cheat once there is the 2 lbs or more. I hate that it is easier to gain then loose. I am happy because I am going to my class this afternoon and they will help me get my head back in the game.

Are you exercising? I hate exercising. I am not the type to get up before work and after, I would just like to relax. So, I decided that on each of my breaks, I would walk for 15 minutes, so that is 30 minutes a day. That helps, I can tell when I walk and keep my cals down (per My fitness pal guidelines) I do loose- not as quickly as I would like...but....

I would say, just take a walk, think about things and how much you want this - If I get any tips for getting back into the weight loss game this afternoon, I will share them with you if you like?
  • kathott
    kathott Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi there. don't give up. I know all too well that it is hard....i have been at the same numbers for two months now. I exercise and watch my diet and yes, I watch other people's numbers changing but then I look at a picture of me before I started this and now and I know
    that I am doing something right. keep plugging away. the only reason i got thru my difficult start was my MFP friends. I put out an email
    out just like yours and within a few hours i had the most amazing people offering their friendship and support. I couldnt have done it this
    long without them in my life. Please feel free to add me as a friend - and I will help you as much as possible! please do not quit. yes, its hard...probably one of the hardest things to do...but you can do!
    chin up...face forward and onward you go on this adventure!
    take good care
    Kathleen
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    Hang in there. I am trying to stay off the scale until next week, because I too get discouraged by small weight fluctuations. It took me 6 months to lose 10 lbs a few years ago, and I gained it right back and then some. This time I won't give up the fight, and neither should you. :)
  • katjohn83
    katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.

I know its been three weeks and it seems like nothing works, but trust me it is working. You are training your brain and your body to do something it has never done before. So there will be stumbles. Look at like training to run a marathon. You wouldn't expect to be able to that in three weeks would you? So likewise, you can't change everything about your eating habits in three weeks. We all need a little encouragement as we go along to take that next step. I have sent you a friend request. If you will encourage me I will encourage you.
  • melissa4221
    melissa4221 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would suggest maybe measuring yourself instead of the scale. You can do this!! Keep your head up :)

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • RebeccaMOrr
    Options
    Dont Give Up!!! We all Have the Same Struggles!!! Are you Eating Healthy Calories? I Lost a few Pounds then Nothing and Relized I wasnt eating enough Calories. So Make sure your eating enough, Once I consumed more Calories I was able to Continue the Slow Weight Loss!! Its worth your Effort Dont Give up Keep Trying its hard when your Not seeing Results, Keep On Moving!!! and Hang in there!!! :smile:
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I can 100% relate to this, and I know how incredibly frustrating this is, but like everyone is saying take it 1 day at a time and continue on your journey, I promise everything will click with the inner workings of your body and you sill make some strides....When I have had this feeling I have been reading the boards and blogs of people who have lost tons of weight etc and I do think that helps!

Keep it up!!
  • KKlug1020
    Options
    Don't quit! How often are you weighing yourself? I started feeling discouraged last week because I'd started weighing myself pretty much every day and when I would see that I'd gained a little weight from one day to the next I would just feel like, "what's the point?" I realized I was probably weighing myself too often and was getting down when I would see my daily fluctuations. Also make sure you're weighing yourself at the same time every day - I prefer first thing in the morning, and always before a shower because I'm not taking the chance that my wet hair could add any weight! :-P Just keep sticking to your calorie goal and exercising and try not to put too much "weight" on what the scale says.