Keeping Sodium Low & Canned Veggies

I'm in college and don't have money to spend on fresh veggies, so I normally get canned. I've noticed that a can of veggies can have well over 1 g of sodium. Am I going to have to cut canned veggies to lower sodium intake?

Replies

• It will help to rinse the canned veggies before eating. OR you can just buy them frozen. Let them thaw all day, or just pop them in the microwave or on the stove.
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Check to see if they sell low sodium canned veggies next time you buy. Fresh will always be the best and may be worth the sacrifice of something else. If you find yourself still eating the canned veggies make sure you drink a TON of water. Water will help flush the extra sodium from your body.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Are there no low-sodium or sodium-free canned vegetables out there? I’ve been out of the canned vegetable loop for several years now, but I would assume there are better options out there. And do they really have that much sodium in them? I’m inclined to think you shouldn’t worry.

Also, this baby piggy picture, it’s fabulously cute. :flowerforyou:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    I would buy frozen over canned any day.
  • I would buy frozen over canned any day.

They are definitely better tasting. My point is they are also more expensive.
  • I would buy frozen over canned any day.

They are definitely better tasting. My point is they are also more expensive.

Counting oz for oz they really aren't... a couple cents more tops...