Beginning running- Is there a site?

Options
Forgive me if this has been posted before- Is there a website or some kind of online 'plan' for beginning runners? I read about one a looong time ago where you walk for a certain amt of time and run for a certain amount of time, increasing the running each time- any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if this has been posted before- Is there a website or some kind of online 'plan' for beginning runners? I read about one a looong time ago where you walk for a certain amt of time and run for a certain amount of time, increasing the running each time- any ideas?

Thanks!
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have done the Couch to 5K program in the past.

http://www.c25k.com/

It's designed to take you from couch potato to 5k runner in about two months. And it works!
  • tmbish82
    Options
    definitely check out hal higdon's website!!!! i love it :heart: he has a plan called 30/30 that gets you started in running and then different training programs for running 5k, 8k, 10k, and marathons. it is a great way to start! i did the 30/30 program and then moved up to the 5k program. you will be surprised what you can accomplish a little at a time!
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    runnersworld.com has some great stuff for beginning runners. It's also great because you can use runners world from beginner to expert. They have all kinds of good tools for training for races and specific distances, how to increase mileage without injury, etc...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I second that. I was a total non-runner, and I started on a couch to 5K program just before Thanksgiving. It was a challenge at first, but on Wednesday night, I was able to run for ten minutes straight. I felt so good, and I will be running in the 5K on Superbowl Sunday! just stick to whatever plan you choose, (mine was a 12 week program), and repeat weeks/runs as necessary. My plan called for running for 30 minutes on one day about 7 weeks in, and there was no way I could do it, so I just did my best, and did run/walking combos for 30 minutes. Remember, your very first 5K is about the experience, and finishing it and feeling good, not about having the best time.

google "couch to 5K" and that will be a good source of lots of different plans.

Good luck!
  • PICKINICKI
    Options
    I AM A NEW RUNNER TOO. I CHECKED OU THE COUCH TO 5K PROGRAM, THAT I HEARD ABOUT FROM THIS SITE. IT BREAKS IT DOWN TO VERY REASONABLE INCREMENTS. I AM IN MY SECOND WEEK. I AM LOVING IT. I HAVE SET A GOAL FOR MYSELF OF RUNNING MY FIRST EVER 5K IN APRIL. IT IS THE SUSAN G KOMEN RACE FOR THE CURE. I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO RUN IT, ALTHOUGH I WALK IT EVERY YEAR. THIS YEAR I WILL BE RUNNING IT, IN MEMORY OF MY SISTER. HAVING THIS GOAL HAS REALLY KEPT ME MOTIVATED. I LOOK FORWARD TO MY TIME IN THE GYM. THE WEBSITE IS WWW.COOLRUNNING.COM
    GOOD LUCK. IF I CAN DO IT, ANYBODY CAN DO IT.
  • pford03
    pford03 Posts: 27
    Options
    I, too, am a new runner and training for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. My daughter and I have walked it for the last 3 years in honor of my mother, but this year we are determined to RUN! We are just finishing up our first week with a program from the American Runner's Association. It's a 12 week program and I love it. It's simple, and I need simple. Good luck, and remember, as long as your moving it's good!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    Some of us on here do the Couch to 5K program. You can find it on www.coolwalk.com
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k is a good way to get started. Also RUNNERSWORLD.COM has training programs for every level runner for free and LOTS of advice for those starting out or getting back into the running game!
  • phegarty
    phegarty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway .com - Best running site for beginners and marathon runners.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/