Anyone doing c25K?

Options
Hi I started this program a few weeks ago. I am on week three workout 2 for the week it seems to be going well. I am feeling like I can do this unlike before. Shin splints slow me down a bit. But excited for each new week! Anyone else have gone through or going through?

Replies

• miss_sarcastic
    Options
    Hi I started this program a few weeks ago. I am on week three workout 2 for the week it seems to be going well. I am feeling like I can do this unlike before. Shin splints slow me down a bit. But excited for each new week! Anyone else have gone through or going through?

I completed it this spring, and then ran 2 5K's! I totally recommend it. I used to HATE running...but, that's because I 1. didn't run properly, and 2. didn't condition myself to do so.

C25K really helps you ease into it, and before you know it, you're running 30 minutes without stopping like it's a breeze!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I did it this summer and now run the 5K as my normal workout. Take it slow, rest between days (or cross train) and even if you hit a week that sucks it's okay to redo it. I did w6 twice before I just decided to push forward and came out okay on the other end!

Speed will come later, so don't worry about being slow now.

Make sure you have properly fitted running shoes, a running store will fit you for them and they will help with shin splints and other injuries.

HAVE FUN!!!!
  • kriley1981
    kriley1981 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am doing week 3 workout 2 today.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I did the c25k a few weeks ago... had issues w/shin splints - my trainer said it's because i wasnt' stretching enough after running... so stretching helped but the big thing was that i bought new shoes.. i went to **** ponds & spent $130 on brooks b/c i need a lot of cushion in the ball of my foot. I ran 5 miles that week for the first time & felt like i could have kept going if the darn trail didn't end!

stretching... and buy good shoes at a running store.
  • gaby0324
    gaby0324 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just did week 1 / day 2!
    Very excited about this program!
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think all of y'all are ahead of me. I just finished week 1 yesterday! I finally got some running shoes (and I was worried about shin splints). I've had 5 knee surgeries...and miss running the most! I think this is a way I can get into it without pushing myself too hard. Do any of you use inserts in your shoes to absorb some of the shock? If so, what do you recommend?
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i am about to start. can i ask if you all are only running out doors? or on treadmills, too? do you find one better than the other? thanks and good luck to you all. this program seems to work wonders for so many!
  • Amanda_Jean87
    Amanda_Jean87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am far from a runner but I just finished week 4. It was difficult and I'm kinda slow but I did it! And I'm also starting to see results from running consistantly so keep it up!!
  • walkinmydoxies
    Options
    Hi I'm doing the 25 mile challenge. If you do to much too fast you will get shin splints, or if you're not wearing correct shoes. Very painful! I remember when my friend and I first started walking, both of us terribly out of shape, I got shin splints. Just go at it a little slower, for a day or two. My sister who walks alot and is in pretty good shape got shin splints when she started zumba. She tried many different shoes before finally getting some that worked. She advised soaking in epsom salt and taking ibuprofren, as she did many nights.

Wasn't sure what c25K is...but googled, and now you all have inspired me to try it :smile: I will finish the 25 mile challenge this weekend. Next week I will try to start this one.

I agree with others...stretching and good shoes. I'm not quite running yet.

Hang in there...you're doing great!
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3- day 2 tonight. I'm loving that I feel like I might actually be able to do this. I still hate running though! :laugh:
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Completed C25K in August and have run 2 5K's. Never was a runner before, but I run 3 times a week now. Two pieces of advice I would offer: 1. Don't rush the program or be afraid to repeat a week and 2. Get good running shoes, the money you invest will pay off tremendously.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I just finished w5d3 yesterday - the dreaded 20 minute run. I wasn't sure if I was ready, but I completed it successfully! Such a huge accomplishment for someone who has never been a runner. I am really starting to understand why so many have had success with this program.

FYI - for Android users, you can get the c25k pro app for free today only from the Amazon app store.
  • jagspal
    jagspal Posts: 75
    Options
    New shoes I have two pair I alternate with and they are already two years old. They stability shoes and I have used them for the gym for kickboxing, etc. I guess time for running shoe! Good Luck everyone!
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Friday I will be on W1D3. I have the app on my phone and today amazon has it for free to anyone with the android OS.
  • gaby0324
    gaby0324 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I need to buy running shoes and I have no idea what to get.
    Which ones would you guys have/recommend?
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    im thinkin about doin it sounds interesting.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    i am about to start. can i ask if you all are only running out doors? or on treadmills, too? do you find one better than the other? thanks and good luck to you all. this program seems to work wonders for so many!

Today was week 6 day 2 for me. I've been using a treadmill because I have found that I have a tendency to overdo it when I run outdoors, which leads to injury. For now, I am keeping my running to 5 mph to avoid reinjuring my knee. When I finish week 9, I will restart at week 5 and start bumping up my speeds.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Just started today!

Gaby-I love my Asics Gel Nimbus 11's. I have really high arches and these shoes feel wonderful.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I started a few weeks ago, but had to take a couple weeks off when I pulled my calf muscle at kickboxing. I hate running and have terrible knees, but the program really helps you ease into it and progress slowly. I only use the treadmill because I like to have the speed controlled so I don't run too fast, I like to have the time staring at me so I don't trip trying to look at a watch and running on the same surface helps out the knees. Good luck!
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I started outside then moved inside (treadmill) when it got too hot. The treadmill is great for maintaining a steady pace. However, I noticed a big difference between the treadmill and outdoors when I ran my first 5K so I have been running outside since then. I will occassionally still run on a treadmill, but I just prefer outside.